House Price Crash Forum
Once in a lifetime

Housetrapped In The Sun

Hope you're all watching - it's a bear's wet dream - 'the only market is British buyers because locals won't pay these inflated prices'; 'I want to ask her why she thinks it's worth £270,000 when the market is flooded with similar properties'.

Now why isn't someone asking these same questions about the UK market

Its on in 2 mins!

LOL, "It looks like mould."!!!!!!!!!! ROFL.

Looks like this thread is going to be a running commentary.

My oven is beeping away telling me my oven chips are ready, but I don't want to go and get them!

EDIT: board weirdness quoted more than one post.

Edited by aclwalker

LOL, "It looks like mould."!!!!!!!!!! ROFL.

Looks like this thread is going to be a running commentary.

My oven is beeping away telling me my oven chips are ready, but I don't want to go and get them!

EDIT: board weirdness quoted more than one post.

Right, tell me what happens. The smell of chips is too strong....

"Over-reliance on those with a vested interest can be very dangerous" :D

(paraphasing).. and you should do some research yourself.

Good advice... for aboard AND in this country!

he mentioned western europes property timebomb...

an oversupply...

sounds like exeter...

tonnes of empty property here as well.. can't afford it yet...

how long can they afford it to be empty..

i feel bad for the woman though..

we chat here... how many people are out there in the UK.. stuffed with debt they can't manage.. no hope...

over 100,000 people have defaulted for several months..

more and more defaults each month..

Yeah, me, too. There's something about the wide-eyedness of it all. How can my villa not be worth 270 grand? It must be, I need the money. Now it's about land requisitioning for development. How come the whole world isn't like the UK? How can they do this to us? We were going to have trees, a patio and a pool, a vegetable garden and terrace - "but the developer wants it all, and more". Blink, blink. "The most upsetting thing ... is that they will only be entitled to a tiny little bit of compensation." Thing is, they seem like a bright couple. And really quite nice. "Compulsory purchase doesn't just happen in Spain, it can happen in any country." No, really? Shocking - johnny foreigner not playing by the (i.e. our) rules again.

Surely some of the programmes that wildly talked up buying abroad mentioned the risk of having your land taken away? No? Did the bloke who's presenting this present one of the bullish property programmes? I bet he did.

"Over the past few years Brits have been paying over the odds" - yes, you evil git, because of property programmes!! It's like cheer them on the way up, jeer at them on the way down. I mean, my sympathy for them is limited but I do have some. Lambs to the slaughter.

Edit - just to illustrate how relative the whole property law thing is - have you ever tried explaining our leasehold/freehold system to someone from the US? They get that 'it can't be true' look in their eye that we're seeing on this show and start repeating what you're saying to themselves. It's quite entertaining.

Edited by North London Rent Girl

Guest magnoliawalls

I assume these people can afford their dream lifestyle in the sun because they cashed in their equity from back home. They were fortunate to be able to do that and unlucky it did not work out.

Friends here are struggling to pay extortionate mortgages on tiny flats where they will be forced to raise their children. I feel much worse for them.

you know the answer...no

That's a very inscrutable post, Tao - not sure I got the question! :)

I just can't stop watching this thing - I'm meant to be working but it's like a car crash. I can't decide whether I want that woman's villa - which now looks amazing, by the way - to sell. I have watched very few property programmes in the past few years but now they're getting interesting. I wonder if they're going to all have jolly names that follow on from the property-ramping shows. Here, from 'Home in the Sun' (wasn't it?) to 'Trapped in the Sun'. It's only a matter of time before one comes out called 'Burnt in the Sun'. What next? 'Location, Location, Location' laughingly renamed 'Eviction, Eviction, Eviction'? It's all just a larf, isn't it? They're so EVIL!

Well, she's sold her villa and she looks so happy - can only be relieved for her, really, bless her cotton socks and her crazy financial logic. Heck, maybe there's something to her magical money thinking. Let's hope not because there's a lot of sellers out there thinking 'it must be worth this much, we need the money'. :blink:

why didnt they say what it sold for?

£100,000?

Bastards!!!!!

Anything sells at the right price

Judging by the look on her face she sold it for around the full asking price. He did say she had offers below but she held her nerve &........ 4 weeks later....KERCHING! Good luck to her i say.At least she had been a long term resident, 32 years.

Edited by OLDFTB

we chat here... how many people are out there in the UK.. stuffed with debt they can't manage.. no hope...

Try and remember all those people who have had to put their lives on hold due to HPs being driven up to unreachable heights by the stupid and the greedy.

Kind of felt sorry for that couple, having their land pinched. Must be well stressful to say the least, hope I never find myself in that situation.

On the other hand, what a complete waste of space those EAs were. F*ckin' lazy, ropey, scum dogs.

Funny though, he said beware, there are many EAs here that are unqualified and unregulated...you mean like the UK?

:rolleyes: