House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wheat

Offer = Bids?

We recently put an offer slightly under the asking price to a property, that agent said there's a closing date has been set to receive offers and asked we to wait. One week later, he replied our "bid" is lower than another 4 "bids", so seller will not consider.

I said I want to discuss with my husband, see if we can put another higher offer. He said you can't increase your offer now, you only can put a final offer before closing date. He was rude.

Hi everyone, is it a normal practice? Offer = bid? I think we are not in acution. Even in auction we know each other's offers.

We recently put an offer slightly under the asking price to a property, that agent said there's a closing date has been set to receive offers and asked we to wait. One week later, he replied our "bid" is lower than another 4 "bids", so seller will not consider.

I said I want to discuss with my husband, see if we can put another higher offer. He said you can't increase your offer now, you only can put a final offer before closing date. He was rude.

Hi everyone, is it a normal practice? Offer = bid? I think we are not in acution. Even in auction we know each other's offers.

Sounds like the EA has a 'preferred buyer' (ie: a friend, relative, or someone who might bung him a few quid in a brown bag). You can place bids anytime you like, so you should contact the owners direct and tell them that their EA is refusing to consider a bid from you.

If its a repo ,as it sounds like with a closing date to the sale I sugest you read this threadMy link

If its a repo ,as it sounds like with a closing date to the sale I sugest you read this threadMy link

The EA didn't tell it is a repo. I just know it's a BTL property. The asking price is very reasonable in my area. He said other 4 bids all over the asking price.

So, another question, will you guys give offer over the asking price? My husband thinks it's kinda stupid.

The EA didn't tell it is a repo. I just know it's a BTL property. The asking price is very reasonable in my area. He said other 4 bids all over the asking price.

So, another question, will you guys give offer over the asking price? My husband thinks it's kinda stupid.

Were the sink/taps/electric all taped off? If not, I don't think it's a repo.

Thanks for the info. This is the first time I heard sealed bids. Learn a lesson.

If they are sealed bids HOW dose the EA know your offer is below the other 4? as sealed bids, as i understand it they are unknown to anyone bar the one that is making the bid until the deadline when they are all revealed and the highest one wins

Have you read the thread in the link on my previous post ? It clearly shows how underhanded some estate agents are

Edited by long time lurking

If you made an offer below asking "on principle" then you will be unhappy if you pay over asking, so walk away.

If you made your bid below asking, based upon what you thought the property was worth, then you will be unhappy if you pay more than this, so walk away.

What other reason did you have for bidding below asking?

tim

If they are sealed bids HOW dose the EA know your offer is below the other 4? as sealed bids, as i understand it they are unknown to anyone bar the one that is making the bid until the deadline when they are all revealed and the highest one wins

Have you read the thread in the link on my previous post ? It clearly shows how underhanded some estate agents are

You seem to have missed the bit which says "after the deadline was reached"

tim