House Price Crash Forum

Reality Check For The Middle Class --merged threads

HOLA441

All this talk of a class baffles me, money has little to do with it. Money is unrelated to class as i see it, has Wayne Rooney got class? Class for me is about manners,consideration for other people, education. A person with class isn't out to impress anyone with a show of wealth, they plough their own farrow, have a moral code, treat pauper and lord with equal respect. This recent flood of cheap money sloshing around the country has given some people a life style they never could have had at another point in history, and they confuse this with 'moving up' and suddenly having class, as they see it. The fact that they think a display of wealth is something in itself to aspire to tells you to what cohort they belong. As a society we shouldn't have given these people money, they don't know what it's for. And now we all suffer.

I stayed a few nights in a rural Youth Hostel in north Wales last summer, met a titled Lord and his kids - clearly public school educated - has lots of physical wealth, however the income off it was lower due to the recession, sounded like they were preserving their wealth by holidaying cheaply in a Youth Hostel, not digging into physical wealth, just income, during recession, securing their capital, and perfectly nice to talk to. Modest old car too.

proper upper class, respected me as a person, no b*llsh*t

the nouveau-riche can be vile by comparison - think The Wilsons

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

uuurgh, you've just described my parents!

great post, rings very true - later gens of same family are aspirational chavs with a bit of cash, other families I know along similar lines

Is there a doiley on their loo seat? :huh:

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Has anyone met a proper upper class, blue blooded type ?

I had three friends at university who were landed gentry (titled, land owning etc - although one of their families made their wealth through commerce a couple of centuries ago, which apparently made him officially upper middle class, despite being titled and owning a significant chunk of England...). I ended up living on one family's estate for a while - they had a vast estate but not a lot of cash, and their weekly shopping was definitely more frugal than most people's (although it was boosted by the odd bit of pheasant / apples from the orchard etc..).

While I dislike what they represent, I generally liked them as individuals - most had a very powerful sense of social responsibility (not enough to give up their land but enough to make them dedicate over half of their time to "public works" of one sort or another...) and a deeply instilled belief that their privileged position led to a duty for "pastoral care" (eg letting out properties on their estates for peppercorn rents to those they felt a sense of duty towards). There was also much less snobbery than there is among the middle classes. Definitely not showy or materialistic - that would be very bad taste. (When meeting friends of theirs while living on the estate, my general rule was the scruffier they were and the more battered their car, the 'higher up' the hierarchy they were likely to be.)

That said, they were mostly fairly arrogant about their social standing (implicitly, never explicitly); although they'd never say it outright (to me), most of them seemed to feel that it was right and proper that they should be so privileged, and that they were somehow wiser than others. Or maybe I just misinterpreted that total self-confidence that seems to come from going to the very top private schools.

Still, I think I'd say that the (old school) working class and the upper class have much more in common with each other than either do with the middle classes - at least they both like each other a lot more than either likes aspirational / flash / snobbish types (including politicians).

Edited by sarahleyburn

HOLA4411

"£4000 a term private school" ??? :huh:

That's a fairly decent secondhand Bentley a year, and then you could throw it away! :blink:

If I had the choice of a free Bentley for a year, or free private education/tuition for my (yet to be born) kids for a year I wouldn't have to think twice.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

If I had the choice of a free Bentley for a year, or free private education/tuition for my (yet to be born) kids for a year I wouldn't have to think twice.

I don't have children, Mr Libspero, but I'm sure that Bentley would make an ideal mobile school! :blink:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I had three friends at university who were landed gentry (titled, land owning etc - although one of their families made their wealth through commerce a couple of centuries ago, which apparently made him officially upper middle class, despite being titled and owning a significant chunk of England...). I ended up living on one family's estate for a while - they had a vast estate but not a lot of cash, and their weekly shopping was definitely more frugal than most people's (although it was boosted by the odd bit of pheasant / apples from the orchard etc..).

While I dislike what they represent, I generally liked them as individuals - most had a very powerful sense of social responsibility (not enough to give up their land but enough to make them dedicate over half of their time to "public works" of one sort or another...) and a deeply instilled belief that their privileged position led to a duty for "pastoral care" (eg letting out properties on their estates for peppercorn rents to those they felt a sense of duty towards). There was also much less snobbery than there is among the middle classes. Definitely not showy or materialistic - that would be very bad taste. (When meeting friends of theirs while living on the estate, my general rule was the scruffier they were and the more battered their car, the 'higher up' the hierarchy they were likely to be.)

That said, they were mostly fairly arrogant about their social standing (implicitly, never explicitly); although they'd never say it outright (to me), most of them seemed to feel that it was right and proper that they should be so privileged, and that they were somehow wiser than others. Or maybe I just misinterpreted that total self-confidence that seems to come from going to the very top private schools.

Still, I think I'd say that the (old school) working class and the upper class have much more in common with each other than either do with the middle classes - at least they both like each other a lot more than either likes aspirational / flash / snobbish types (including politicians).

Farmers feel the same way about their cows.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I don't have children, Mr Libspero, but I'm sure that Bentley would make an ideal mobile school! :blink:

What surprises me more is that 32 hours of child care costs £500.

Surely if things were that tight groups of parents would be getting together and forming after school play groups of their own?

It would make a huge amount of sense (and would pay for half of Oscar's private schooling in a shot)!

HOLA4421

Surely if things were that tight groups of parents would be getting together and forming after school play groups of their own?

Some of my friends with kids are quite gifted "academics" and are doing this already! As they currently have litle regular work!

Unfortunately they don't want little Justin to learn to strip a Ford LSD axle, otherwise I would be in this business too! ;)

HOLA4422

What surprises me more is that 32 hours of child care costs £500.

It would make a huge amount of sense (and would pay for half of Oscar's private schooling in a shot)!

i dont think its that straightforward, i think Labour introduced laws a few years ago stating that the UKs 40+million adults are all paedos unless you have a certificate from so no mark saying you arent, id presumed Dave would have reversed this by now following his pre election waffle on intrusive Labour laws, but hes only been in a year or so and hasnt finished washing his hair or something like that

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

HOLA4423

i dont think its that straightforward, i think Labour introduced laws a few years ago stating that the UKs 40+million adults are all paedos unless you have a certificate from so no mark saying you arent, id presumed Dave would have reversed this by now following his pre election waffle on intrusive Labour laws,

I actually thought he had.. I'm not sure if it's gone through yet, but there was some talk about it shortly after the election.

I remember thinking how pleased I was (after spending ages boring everyone on off-topic to death about how stupid I thought it was that old people wouldn't be able to do voluntary work with children any more).

Edit: All they did was amend the Childcare Act of 2006 to allow mothers to look after each others kids without being locked up. Everything else is unchanged. All parents are still paedos until they have a piece of paper saying they haven't been caught yet..

Edited by libspero

HOLA4424

I actually thought he had.. I'm not sure if it's actually gone through yet, but there was some talk about it shortly after the election.

I remember thinking how pleased I was (after spending ages boring everyone on off-topic to death about how stupid I thought it was that old people wouldn't be able to do voluntary work with children any more).

iirc the law has changed. If you spend less than 1 day a week with children you don't need a CRB.

Interestingly many people who have children would "fail" a CRB check. I'm sure there's some irony there somewhere?

HOLA4425

I stayed a few nights in a rural Youth Hostel in north Wales last summer, met a titled Lord and his kids - clearly public school educated - has lots of physical wealth, however the income off it was lower due to the recession, sounded like they were preserving their wealth by holidaying cheaply in a Youth Hostel, not digging into physical wealth, just income, during recession, securing their capital, and perfectly nice to talk to. Modest old car too.

proper upper class, respected me as a person, no b*llsh*t

the nouveau-riche can be vile by comparison - think The Wilsons

Yep, I have a mate who is listed in Burke's.

Very down to earth, ancient car, dresses like a scruff most of the time, sounds like the Queen, and owns a bloody gorgeous house which is a nightmare to run.

I also know someone whose family are wealthy through work, media heavyweights. Admittedly I think she has a personality disorder, but she's an obnoxious creature with little 'class'