House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

erranta

Researchers Claim Iphone 3G Tracks Users' Movements

Researchers have found that Apple iPhones and iPads track users' locations and store the data in an unencrypted file on the devices and on owners' computers.

Alasdair Allan, the founder of Data Science Toolkit and Alasdair Allan, a senior research fellow at the University of Exeter, claim that iPhones and 3G iPads are regularly recording the position of the device into a hidden file. Ever since iOS 4 arrived, the devices has been storing a long list of locations and time stamps, the researchers said.

"We're not sure why Apple is gathering this data, but it's clearly intentional, as the database is being restored across backups, and even device migrations," they added.

The specific hidden file is called "consolidated.db." and it is unencrypted and unprotected. The file contains pretty detailed latitude-longitude coordinates along with a timestamp and it is on any machine a users has synched with his/her iOS device, making it easily accessible on the device itself if it falls into the wrong hands.

"Anybody with access to this file knows where you've been over the last year, since iOS 4 was released," the researcher said.

Although there no immediate harm that would seem to come from the availability of this data, the reason of its existence and how Apple intends to use it remain unclear.

Warden and Allan speculated that it might have to do with a future feature that relies on location. "The fact that it's transferred across devices when you restore or migrate is evidence the data-gathering isn't accidental," they said.

Alasdair Allan has also built an application that helps users look at their own data. The application extracts the data from a Mac, then displays the location history on a map.

Apple has not yet commented on the researchers' findings.

Was just watching that Film "Enemy of the State" - Although made in 1998 -The amount of spying that can be done by the authorities is frightening- a Good quote is "The only privacy left is inside your head". Although most of us have nothing to hide - The current worry about smart phones and facebook is only the tip of the iceberg for the future.

Lets imagine -

Thousands of Spy Satellites which identify your location from your mobile phone, and can watch you from space,

voice recognition which pick up certain words, or your voice and gets your location while on the phone,

CCTV Cameras everywhere

facial recognition systems which identify and track your location, thousands of small spy drones cameras/recording devices everywhere so your location can tracked anywhere in the country,

all financial transactions information monitored, cross checked, compiled and monitored

DNA Fingerprinting of every person

Medical History

every website monitored and data mined to discover web browsing patterns,

Therefore a crime is committed in a location - first check all mobiles in the location on that day , then start use data mining tools to identify individuals, look at spy drones, check DNA results, and cross check with Web History.

I guess most of this is possible at the moment and used at times - but how long before all the dots are connected and rolled out for complete and total monitoring. perhaps all the information would be made public, so anyone can watch anyone on a camera or track their location, or for example look at your neighbours web browsing patterns, or piece together there financial records and where they are any time of the day.

That the problem with all this information - eventually it gets out - and the only fair way is for everyone to have access to everyone else information.

My daughter can't see the problem with any of this stuff. She truly believes that if you've got nothing to hide there's nothing to fear. Years of brainwashing by the Labour state has had the desired effect :(.

My generation were rebels, our children are conformists. The pendulum swings.

My daughter can't see the problem with any of this stuff. She truly believes that if you've got nothing to hide there's nothing to fear. Years of brainwashing by the Labour state has had the desired effect :(.

Get her a copy of 1984 and make her read it until she repents...

"There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always— do not forget this, Winston— always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face— forever." 1984 Orwell

The thing that is different this time is that the technology will make rebellion much more difficult than in the past (and it was never easy!) :ph34r:

Scary stuff. It would be hard to get away with murder. :ph34r:

It would appear to be relentless intrusion. Just make sure you have the 'right' opinions, and don't post your thoughts on online forums.

Damn!

Scary stuff. It would be hard to get away with murder. :ph34r:

It would appear to be relentless intrusion. Just make sure you have the 'right' opinions, and don't post your thoughts on online forums.

Damn!

Well its not just about Crime - You express opinions privately on a forum like this or perhaps browse websites in your private time which are not liked employer - in the future companies track and monitor your web history, make a profile which they deliver to employers - much more effective that any personaility questionaire on you.

Your spouse questions why you were at a certain location at a certain time, perhaps a future girlfriend will check your spending habits to work out how much you spend, monitor your medical history.

The problem is when people believe that every move is monitored then there behaviour changes to conform.

It is pleasing to know that by turning my works iPhone off and leaving it in a drawer outside of working hours Apple have the benefit of knowing where I work, where I live and nothing else.

I have read in criminal cases that all phones are tracked intermittently when they move as they connect to the nearest point in the network and this connection is logged.

Guest eight

Therefore a crime is committed in a location - first check all mobiles in the location on that day , then start use data mining tools to identify individuals, look at spy drones, check DNA results, and cross check with Web History.

So you, a basically law abiding citizen (I'm guessing) might modify your behaviour based on the fact that you think you may be being observed committing a "thought crime" by some remote third party.

Yet your average chav still wouldn't think twice about kicking your head in. Nice.

eight

Those that sacrifice a little liberty for a little security deserve neither.

So you, a basically law abiding citizen (I'm guessing) might modify your behaviour based on the fact that you think you may be being observed committing a "thought crime" by some remote third party.

Yet your average chav still wouldn't think twice about kicking your head in. Nice.

eight

Ok then compare an average persons Facebook, or workplace behavior to their real personality - and you get an idea - We all have public version of ourselves, and our private version of ourselves - for example in a typical workplace, people will modify their behaviour based on the circumstances or company. Most people are much easier controlled than they like to admit.

Therefore as privacy gradually erodes, and everything is monitored all the time - this changes people behaviour.

So does Googles Android. Everytime I make a call, or carry out certain tasks the GPS fires up and records my position.

Now one could hope its becuase the phone companies want to get a signal reading withing the 10m GPS location radius so they can identify signal blackspots and to improve the service coverage. but why does it need my GPS location when I check my emails or plug my phone in to charge or scan a barcode to price compare it for instance?

Unless of course they want to improve the diary feature by having the appointments location aware and then have automatic reminders which fires up if the phone can tell from satnav data and road speeds that I am 60mins or 30mins away from my appointment and need to get going? Or they want to know where consumer items for sale are located ie shop locations?

At least they can tell how reliable the GPS system on the phone is along with realistic battery usage for now until the software gets written.

One other thought, most phones and some new cameras now have a geolocation tag embeded into the photo so they can appear on websites like Google Maps, now when ever someone also takes a compromising photo and sends to their other half for a tease, should that photo appear online its possible to extract that geolocation from the photo and workout where it was taken.

On dating websites if you see someones photo you want to stalk, just get the geolocation out of the photo and you know where it was taken possible inside their house or back garden? What about adult websites? Secret Fetish?

Wheres the privacy?

Or what about victims of sexual abuse or any other crime like bullying recorded on a photo/camera with geolocation builtin?

Should they surface online or just come to the attention of the authorities, the authorities have more evidence to help tackle whatever and possibly put offenders before the courts!

Theres good and bad in everything including technology.

I've no problem with that data being on my phone. I do however have a problem with someone accessing it. This doesn't surprise me of Apple though (doing it on the quiet that is). I wonder what happens when some snotbox divorce lawyer tries to subpeona Apple for IMEI#xxxx? How about someone with a company phone they must carry all the time and they go to a job interview for a competitor?

At least with Android the security model means you have to grant applications access to that data.

My phone ignores the fact I have my Geolocation switched off. If you have an android try it. I think you will be surprised. ;)

Once I turn off wifi and gps my phone isn't location aware. You do have to turn wifi off as well as Android uses Google's API of APs they created during the streetview excersise to map to within about 15M.

Mine's an N1 with CM7 if that helps.

Guest eight

Ok then compare an average persons Facebook, or workplace behavior to their real personality - and you get an idea - We all have public version of ourselves, and our private version of ourselves - for example in a typical workplace, people will modify their behaviour based on the circumstances or company. Most people are much easier controlled than they like to admit.

Therefore as privacy gradually erodes, and everything is monitored all the time - this changes people behaviour.

I believe this is technically known as a "chilling effect". However the point I was trying to make is that it only seems to affect people who are basically honest anyway - perhaps because they have most to lose? - the rest just don't seem to care. A bit like the proles in 1984 if you know what I mean.

eight

Guest eight

Once I turn off wifi and gps my phone isn't location aware. You do have to turn wifi off as well as Android uses Google's API of APs they created during the streetview excersise to map to within about 15M.

Mine's an N1 with CM7 if that helps.

Think I've read somewhere that the microphone of any cellphone can be switched on remotely and without the owners/user's knowledge.

eight

The amount of information children (to me, anyone under 30 is a child :P ) put on Facebook is truly frightening. Was this how "The Borg" got started on their quest of assimilation?

Think I've read somewhere that the microphone of any cellphone can be switched on remotely and without the owners/user's knowledge.

eight

For Android, you would have had to already agree that the app is allowed to do this at install time.

I believe this is technically known as a "chilling effect". However the point I was trying to make is that it only seems to affect people who are basically honest anyway - perhaps because they have most to lose? - the rest just don't seem to care. A bit like the proles in 1984 if you know what I mean.

eight

If you watch the documentary "The Trap-Part 2-The Lonely Robot" - The basic theme is that we are ever more controlled and scrutinised by a strong state under the guise of the free market liberalsm, and that human behaviour can is controlled with incentives and punishments.

And that Human Beings are effectively Calculating Machines, where everyone is a selfish automaton only concerned with maximizing his or her own payoffs - Therefore all political beliefs, relgious beliefs, opinions is all about self interest, rather than being about any altruistic.

Turn the thing off, and meet in the pub instead!

Nobody will know where you are!

After a few ales, you won't either! :huh:

Turn the thing off, and meet in the pub instead!

Nobody will know where you are!

After a few ales, you won't either! :huh:

Take the battery out

Take the battery out

With an I-Phone, you can't! :blink:

The "I have nothing to hide" argument misses the point of the objections. You lose the ability to hide and are thus diminished. You have lost a piece of your freedom. A society without crime is not a healthy society. That's a radical thought for some who seek to reduce crime to zero. A society with no crime is a society without dissent and that's what all crime comes down to. Just the other day they imprisoned a guy for burning a Koran in his garden. The authorities want robots not people. Such a society has no agents of change, change causes problems for the authorities. There is no innovation, since that implies change. Not for me, I want to retain my capacity to commit crimes because I know that one day they will declare something I do to be a crime.

The labour party was going down this route. Everything was to monitored and regulated, for your own good of course. You were to lose the capacity to choose because another man knew better and would choose for you. "One size fits all" is the mantra. The leaders being cross between prison governors and school headmistresses. "Sit down, now stand up, now spin around", dissent is a crime.

These people are not your friends, they think themselves your master. You do not need protection from the "criminals", you need protection from them.

The "I have nothing to hide" argument misses the point of the objections. You lose the ability to hide and are thus diminished. You have lost a piece of your freedom. A society without crime is not a healthy society. That's a radical thought for some who seek to reduce crime to zero. A society with no crime is a society without dissent and that's what all crime comes down to. Just the other day they imprisoned a guy for burning a Koran in his garden. The authorities want robots not people. Such a society has no agents of change, change causes problems for the authorities. There is no innovation, since that implies change. Not for me, I want to retain my capacity to commit crimes because I know that one day they will declare something I do to be a crime.

The labour party was going down this route. Everything was to monitored and regulated, for your own good of course. You were to lose the capacity to choose because another man knew better and would choose for you. "One size fits all" is the mantra. The leaders being cross between prison governors and school headmistresses. "Sit down, now stand up, now spin around", dissent is a crime.

These people are not your friends, they think themselves your master. You do not need protection from the "criminals", you need protection from them.

Good post.

The last government scared the hell out of me, they seems an out of control cabal of the self-important and righteous at war with its own people. How many new laws, how many opportunities to spy and monitor or merely be authoritative.

For me, ideas of freedom, decency and self-responsibility are British values, they have been eroded in all the fear, doubt and confusion created by government. Change is a force for good, for innovation; repression demeans the soul.

What business of theirs is my business, so long as I do no harm. Of course, the 'harm' bit can depend upon who makes the rules!

Excellent stuff.