House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ml1989

Home Information Packs Questionnaire

Hi Guys

Basically, Im a final year undergraduate student studying a BSc (Hons) Building Surveying degree at Sheffield Hallam University. As part of my final year Im undertaking a research project on Home Information Packs.

I would just like to ask if any of you would help me with my studies by answering a short questionnaire on the subject. The questionnaire is aimed at home owners, specifically those who were involved with the buying or selling of a home between December 2007 and May 2010 (although this is not a necessity).

Maybe you had a bad experience with HIPs? Or, maybe you just have a strong opinion on them?

The questionnaire can be found by visiting the following link:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGJXZndjNTJUNVlYb05hVEdJbDBKOGc6MA

Your participation is voluntary but your response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Guys

Basically, Im a final year undergraduate student studying a BSc (Hons) Building Surveying degree at Sheffield Hallam University. As part of my final year Im undertaking a research project on Home Information Packs.

I would just like to ask if any of you would help me with my studies by answering a short questionnaire on the subject. The questionnaire is aimed at home owners, specifically those who were involved with the buying or selling of a home between December 2007 and May 2010 (although this is not a necessity).

Maybe you had a bad experience with HIPs? Or, maybe you just have a strong opinion on them?

The questionnaire can be found by visiting the following link:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGJXZndjNTJUNVlYb05hVEdJbDBKOGc6MA

Your participation is voluntary but your response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

By coillecting data in this way (e.g. posting on HPC, soliciting people with bad experiences etc.) you are selecting an unrepresentative sample and making the results of your survey somewhat meaningless.

Thanks for your response, thanks to the other 3 people that have completed the questionnaire too, I really appreciate it!

My project is looking specifically at whether HIPs fulfilled their intended aims, which were to:

- Provide buyers with more information about a property at the start of the house buying process, in order to help them make more informed decisions about making an offer on a property

- Speed up the process of buying and selling houses

- Reduce the stress of buying and selling a house

- Avoid sales collapsing

- Increase buyers confidence in the sale process

I'm testing this by examining the various literature and statistics which are already available, and by using questionnaires to get my own primary data. I've already sent over 1100 questionnaires out to estate agents around the country, and managed to get 61 responses, which is obviously a really bad response rate, but gives me enough data to work with. If anyone would like to see the results, I can make them available to them on request.

The dissertation also delves into the political side of things, looking at why labour brought them in, and on what basis, and whether bringing them in was a good decision. It also looks at why the conservatives scrapped them, and whether this was a good decision.

By coillecting data in this way (e.g. posting on HPC, soliciting people with bad experiences etc.) you are selecting an unrepresentative sample and making the results of your survey somewhat meaningless.

Thanks for your reply.

I never said that the questionnaire was aimed at people who have had bad experiences with HIPs. I was just merely suggesting that someone MAY have had a bad experience with them in the past. The post states that the questionnaire is aimed at home owners and specifically people who were involved with the buying or selling of a house within the period that HIPs were active, which is the reason why I have posted it on a forum which discusses the housing market. Surely people on this forum dont all have the same opinions and views on the subject!? I was also under the impression that posting on a forum which generally covers the whole country and reaches out to people of a variety of backgrounds would be a representative sample.

Also, this is not my only method of data collection, I have handed out this questionnaire elsewhere and I have also conducted a survey of estate agents throughout the country, all of this has also been under the supervision of a university lecturer.

Thanks for your reply.

I never said that the questionnaire was aimed at people who have had bad experiences with HIPs. I was just merely suggesting that someone MAY have had a bad experience with them in the past. The post states that the questionnaire is aimed at home owners and specifically people who were involved with the buying or selling of a house within the period that HIPs were active, which is the reason why I have posted it on a forum which discusses the housing market. Surely people on this forum dont all have the same opinions and views on the subject!? I was also under the impression that posting on a forum which generally covers the whole country and reaches out to people of a variety of backgrounds would be a representative sample.

Also, this is not my only method of data collection, I have handed out this questionnaire elsewhere and I have also conducted a survey of estate agents throughout the country, all of this has also been under the supervision of a university lecturer.

Clearly your lecturer knows nothing about sampling. All you've told us about it prejudices your results beyond mere uselessness to the point of actively harmful (if anyone takes any notice of them).

For the record (but not on your survey), I'm in favour of any such measure that puts a small hurdle in the way of timewasters and helps select vendors who are serious about selling. If a couple of hundred quid helped deter some people who are not serious about selling from wasting buyers' time, then they're a Good Thing. Bear in mind that buyers have to spend time and effort in travel+viewing every house, while vendors just go through a one-off exercise to put it on the market.

Guest eight

I've already sent over 1100 questionnaires out to estate agents around the country, and managed to get 61 responses, which is obviously a really bad response rate,

I think you'll find that's actually a really good response rate, for an unsolicited questionnaire.

eight

I think you'll find that's actually a really good response rate, for an unsolicited questionnaire.

eight

Not if the sample is so explicitly selected to be people with a demonstrated strong interest in the subject.

Reputable pollsters know that they won't get meaningful population-results out of any self-selecting sample, so (for example) they'd never conduct a poll by publishing it in a newspaper. Yet even the Guardian alone would get you a sample far closer to statistically representative than what the OP is doing. Mixing self-selecting examples (publish simultaneously in the Guardian, the Telegraph and the Daily Mail) only serves to obfuscate the bogus-sample issue.

Gave up after this question....

8. Overall, how satisfied were you with the house buying or selling process?

* Strongly Agree

* Agree

* Disagree

* Strongly Disagree

Seriously is this the level of under graduates these days? I was knocking out surveys better than this when I was 15 for a sociology O-Level.

Please don't tell me it's the software.... as that would be a seriously piss poor excuse.

Clearly your lecturer knows nothing about sampling. All you've told us about it prejudices your results beyond mere uselessness to the point of actively harmful (if anyone takes any notice of them).

Clearly you know nothing about my lecturer, rather a prejudice comment from yourself dont you think?

Not if the sample is so explicitly selected to be people with a demonstrated strong interest in the subject.

...and why would i aim at people with no interest in the subject? people not involved in the process are unlikely to have any knowledge of HIPs and any previous experiences with them, so considering my diss is investigating HIPs, such people would be irrelevent to my research.

Gave up after this question....

8. Overall, how satisfied were you with the house buying or selling process?

* Strongly Agree

* Agree

* Disagree

* Strongly Disagree

Seriously is this the level of under graduates these days? I was knocking out surveys better than this when I was 15 for a sociology O-Level.

Please don't tell me it's the software.... as that would be a seriously piss poor excuse.

Again...this questionnaire was checked with a uni lecturer before distribution, and he found no problems with the questions whatsoever. I also trailed the questionnaire on a few people before distribution, who also had no problems with how the questionnaire was worded. The questionnaire is not supposed to be so complex that only a member of mensa can figure it out, it is supposed to be worded so that it is straight-forward, easy to understand and avoid ambiguous questions.

Haha...its like putting a lamb to the slaughter posting in this forum isn't it?...so patronising.

I seriously think some of you are taking this way too far, this dissertation will be marked by two lecturers, it is not being published.

Thanks to those of you who took the time to answer it!

And to to the rest, its a pity some people arent as supportive of young people in education these days.

Clearly you know nothing about my lecturer, rather a prejudice comment from yourself dont you think?

...and why would i aim at people with no interest in the subject? people not involved in the process are unlikely to have any knowledge of HIPs and any previous experiences with them, so considering my diss is investigating HIPs, such people would be irrelevent to my research.

Again...this questionnaire was checked with a uni lecturer before distribution, and he found no problems with the questions whatsoever. I also trailed the questionnaire on a few people before distribution, who also had no problems with how the questionnaire was worded. The questionnaire is not supposed to be so complex that only a member of mensa can figure it out, it is supposed to be worded so that it is straight-forward, easy to understand and avoid ambiguous questions.

Haha...its like putting a lamb to the slaughter posting in this forum isn't it?...so patronising.

I seriously think some of you are taking this way too far, this dissertation will be marked by two lecturers, it is not being published.

Thanks to those of you who took the time to answer it!

And to to the rest, its a pity some people arent as supportive of young people in education these days.

I think some of us were trying to help your education, but you aren't seeing that. I know if I had hired you to perform a survey I would never hire you again if I saw your methodology or a question as illogically worded as question 8. If your lecturers are half decent you will get hammered in the marking for these methodological flaws unless you address them directly and convincingly in your report/thesis.

I never said that the questionnaire was aimed at people who have had bad experiences with HIPs. I was just merely suggesting that someone MAY have had a bad experience with them in the past.

What you have failed to show an understanding of is that this sort of language has an effect in colouring peoples decision to respond to a survey and what experiences are brought to the fore of their mind.

I filled in the questionnaire for you.

It was amateurish and I overlooked this.

If your lecturers are worth their salt then

chances are they were not going out of

their way to hold your hand through your

course and will mark you down accordingly.

I also filled it in.

The only question I didn't like was Q15. But only because there was no option for "none of the above".. which meant I was forced to lie.