House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

geezer466

The Disgrace Of The British Justice Sytem

The first guy stole his burnt offering the 2nd guy bought his, the first guy was targeting a religion, the 2nd guy just burning a poppy which is culturally relevent but not religious.

Seems proportional to me (if completely bonkers in both cases.)

Oddly enough I remember reading somewhere that the Koran is supposed to be burnt after use anyway by Muslims.... which is why a great number of them memorise the entire text.

The first guy stole his burnt offering the 2nd guy bought his, the first guy was targeting a religion, the 2nd guy just burning a poppy which is culturally relevent but not religious.

The poppy should be put to rest. It's nearly two years now since the last survivor of the Great War died, so it's passed firmly into history. Like, for example, the Roman or Napoleonic campaigns: we don't commemorate those with some symbol and an associated collection for their veterans.

I would regard the Koran and the Bible as much-of-a-muchness: historically important and interesting, but a staggeringly stupid basis for any part of modern life. I'd find burning them offensive, just as I would any book (especially such historic books). Poppies on the other hand ... I could almost be tempted to burn them myself in protest against the way they're being abused - and I wouldn't've said that two years ago when there were still veterans alive.

The poppy should be put to rest. It's nearly two years now since the last survivor of the Great War died, so it's passed firmly into history. Like, for example, the Roman or Napoleonic campaigns: we don't commemorate those with some symbol and an associated collection for their veterans.

I would regard the Koran and the Bible as much-of-a-muchness: historically important and interesting, but a staggeringly stupid basis for any part of modern life. I'd find burning them offensive, just as I would any book (especially such historic books). Poppies on the other hand ... I could almost be tempted to burn them myself in protest against the way they're being abused - and I wouldn't've said that two years ago when there were still veterans alive.

Poppies are the universal remembrance symbol of all conflicts they are not exclusive to WW1. We still have veterans alive from WW2 and from other conflicts from Suez to Aden to the Falklands to NI Iraq and Afghanistan.

In any event the symbol is not so much for the veterans but for families and friends of those that were killed in these conflicts.

It is as relevant today as it was in the days in 1920 when they buried the unknown warrior amongst the Kings and other greats in the Abbey.

So important it features in the National Curriculum and long may it continue to do so.

Anti British / Anti Muslim.. sounds about the same to me. What difference between offending people of a spiritual bond or a cultural bond?

Neither is significant.. if something offends people they should ignore it. If you're a devout Catholic you'd probably be offended by Father Ted. I don't think it would warrant putting Ardal O'Hanlon in prison for hate crimes.

Neither really should burning a poppy or a Koran. They should just be banged up for a night or two for public order offences.

Guest eight

Anti British / Anti Muslim.. sounds about the same to me. What difference between offending people of a spiritual bond or a cultural bond?

Neither is significant.. if something offends people they should ignore it. If you're a devout Catholic you'd probably be offended by Father Ted. I don't think it would warrant putting Ardal O'Hanlon in prison for hate crimes.

Neither really should burning a poppy or a Koran. They should just be banged up for a night or two for public order offences.

You were going quite well until that last bit. Since when did people's right to not be offended have to be enshrined in law? You could probably lock all of us up for something on that basis, which is I suspect what the instigator of this crazy legislation was actually driving at.

eight

You were going quite well until that last bit. Since when did people's right to not be offended have to be enshrined in law? You could probably lock all of us up for something on that basis, which is I suspect what the instigator of this crazy legislation was actually driving at.

eight

For clarity, I was talking about public order offences, not creating/enshrining a right not to be offended.

As it happens though I don't agree that it's a particularly good idea to set fire to anything in the street.. especially if it is designed to antagonise another party.