House Price Crash Forum

Words In An Ea Ad That Put You Off The Property

HOLA441

For me

1. Newly fitted luxury bathroom and kitchen with polished granite tops.

Why do this and then sell? Because the vendor hopes to double the value of his house with a new look ? I'd rather see "requiring modernisation" because then I reckon the vendor may be a bit more realistic as to its value.

2. Deceptively Spacious.

You just know it's going to be tiny bedrooms and cramped quarters.

3. Designed by the owner

I immediately think well what if I have different taste - it's going to cost a mint to change it.

Asking Price £XXXK

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Offers Over

It annoys me no end as the EA has likely told the vendor to put it on at an attractive price to get a bit of interest and get into a bidding war, which almost never happens with so few buyers. Then you are left with a vendor who wont accept a realistic offer as they think their property is worth more. Do vendors really think that the wording makes a difference and the public will comply by only making an offer above the asking price. Catch yourself on. One EA in my area has decided to list all their properties as "Offers Over" despite the fact that 90% are already overpriced. If they hadn't made so much money during the peak they would not be in business now as nothing is selling unsurprisingly.

HOLA445

Ideal for first time buyer or investors alike.

From

POA

Priced to sell

Recently reduced ( by £2k)

bespoke

To their own specification

Potential

One time opportunity at this reduced price

Sold as seen

Reluctant sale

Prestigious

The most fashionable address in .......

Perfect for entertaining

Will be appreciated by the discerning purchaser

Just minutes from..... all local ameneties

Early viewing recommended

Only by viewing/on inspection will one be able to appreciate..........

20 mins (28 miles!!) from Belfast -(At 3am on a Sunday in a porsche, maybe)

Superb view of........ river/sea/field/mountain (when on roof fixing ariel)

has so much to offer in both its concept of design and internal layouts that make it a most sought after, desirable place to live, relax and enjoy. (This one just reduced by £80k - £275,000 to £195,000 after 11 months with no mugs/buyers) http://www.propertynews.com/brochure.php?r=1&c=413&s=96665529&i=1&p=UPS11217-12-1256658&fp=1&sort=added

I'll have to stop there because invariably these marketing euphimisms are ubiquitous and are made to appeal, for the most part, to the masses that watch homes under the hammer etc. New developments in particular succumb to this. To me they seem to appeal to women and snobs in particular. There are no streets anymore but Demesne, Oak Grove, Meadows, River view etc. Written by unqualified amateurs, they really do stretch the meaning of words in the English language and often border on the false. Optimistic opinion and conjecture feature often. One man's drain is a babbling brook, one man's bog is anothers pond and meadow. Particularly effusive for new developments. Giving the house a name is also a classic - the Gorse, the George, the Struell, the Willow ad nauseum. I think Llewellen Bowen has a strapline for a dev in Bangor currently. I can't bring myself to repeat or even look up.

Edited by Shotoflight

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

It really gets my goat that when you read an online property advert where about 90% of the description is about how the place is, "only a short walk away from the cafes and bars of the popular XXXXX area."

What I'd like to see is a floor-plan, some decent photos of the rooms, details about the heating, security, management charges etc. and most importantly the floor area in both square-feet and m2

Edited by Diver Dan

HOLA449

What I'd like to see is a floor-plan, some decent photos of the rooms, details about the heating, security, management charges etc. and most importantly the floor area in both square-feet and m2

Floor plan would be good.

You can get the floor area from the interweb on the rates website.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4412