House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
libitina

5 Signs Glory Days Over -

LABOUR PARTY CONFERENCE

5 signs glory days over

By IAN KING

Business Editor

A STRING of warning signs show Gordon Brown’s golden touch with the economy could be at an end.

Just one or two more problems could be enough to tip Britain over the edge into recession.

Unemployment and inflation are up, growth has slowed, public spending is out of control and productivity is down.

Here we look at five areas that could trip up the Chancellor.

JOBS

UNEMPLOYMENT has risen for seven months in a row — the worst consecutive run since Norman Lamont’s recession 13 years ago.

The surge follows high-profile collapses of businesses like furniture retailer Courts, store chain Allders and car-maker MG Rover.

Some 38,000 building workers lost their jobs in May, June and July.

The last time the trade was hit so badly was after the housing market collapse in the 90s.

The Government gauges unemployment by counting the number of people on jobless benefits.

It stands at 866,200. But things are far worse under an internationally-recognised measure, which includes people not on benefit.

By this reckoning, the total is 1.42million.

INFLATION

INFLATION currently stands at 2.4 per cent — its highest rate since Labour came to power eight years ago.

Most City economists fear it could climb higher in coming months, partly because of increased oil prices.

The rise in inflation is embarrassing for Gordon Brown.

Two years ago he ordered a change in the official inflation target as part of the Government’s preparations for possible entry into the euro.

It was lower and did not include council tax or house prices.

The move was criticised by Bank of England Governor Mervyn King.

He said: “Many people will think it strange. When defending a free kick from David Beckham, you don’t expect someone behind you to move the goalposts.” http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005440634,00.html

Must be serious if even The Sun is reporting it. ;)

I was in a cafe today and there were three newspapres on their free stand: The Times, The Telegraph and another I forget which. All three had stories on the front page regarding Crash Gordon and the questionable economy.

Must be serious if even The Sun is reporting it. ;)

ooOOooo thats one of my checklist items, needs to be sensationalised a little bit better though then i can mark it off. The Sun is programming its audience.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
The Sun is programming its audience.

President Murdoch is not happy. How dare they sack his puppet and replace him with a muppet.

Guest growl
And yet Labour are lauding him as the next Prime Minister....? :blink:

I remember saying to someone once 'when the Labour party start to promote Gordon Brown as the next Prime Minister then we are about to fall off the cliff.'

I watched him give an interview tonight and felt like I was staring into the Abyss.

And yet Labour are lauding him as the next Prime Minister....? :blink:

[/qu

MURDOCH does not want Brown as the next PM and neither does Blair. The Murdoch press are now going to slaughter Brown over the economy while tossing off over Blair's next war,

President Murdoch runs this country with puppet blair.

There is all his daily titles to brainwash the working classes = the scum and

for the middle classes the times.

And not to forget spy television. How long will it be before the bbc is part of

spy.

DEATH TO NEW LABOUR :D:):D