House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wurzel Of Highbridge

Student Numbers And House Prices

Hi all,

I was thinking about my old university Plymouth. In the mid to late 90's it was a polytechnic today it pretty much takes over the whole city center, it is not the only University city like this see:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2011/04/18/tuition-fee-rise-threatens-to-empty-newcastle-of-15-000-students-61634-28537157/

This article points out other city's like Sunderland, Newcastle, and Canterbury.

I have only seen the attached article pointing out what will happen starting 2012. Looking around at the news this year has an all time high number of applicants so it is likely next year will be the start of this leg down.

I would like to get some idea what other members think about this, I am thinking that this could be really significant?

I was thinking about my old university Plymouth. In the mid to late 90's it was a polytechnic today it pretty much takes over the whole city center, it is not the only University city like this see:

How far does Plimuff's student area really extend? I know you expect lots of them around North Hill, Mutley Plain, Greenbank, but what about just a little further afield (like Stoke, Peverell, St Judes, even the far side of Mutley)? I've never been quite clear on that.

This article points out other city's[sic] like Sunderland, Newcastle, and Canterbury.

Hmmm. Isn't Newcastle a real university of the civic/redbrick era? Guess it must've come down in the world if it's getting lumped in with some of those[1].

Polys had students before they got rebadged. If those numbers reduce substantially, that would appear to point to a reversal of some of the expansion in the sector going right back to the 1960s. Which could have unintended consequences in a broader HE sector that is one of our successful exports and brings lots of money into the country.

[1] No, I'm not saying every poly is automatically inferior. I've seen or heard of worthwhile things coming from Hatfield and Brighton, to name but two. If a 1960s-new-uni like Warwick can become one of the best, it should be equally possible for a poly, at least in principle.

I don't think it will actually affect student numbers that much. It's not paid up front so actually isn't a barrier, and what else are the young people going to do? Get a job?

Longer term I see it helping reduce prices as graduates have less to spend on housing as they repay their loan, but I don't see this ghost town thing.

Plus foreign students.

Edited by cybernoid

How far does Plimuff's student area really extend? I know you expect lots of them around North Hill, Mutley Plain, Greenbank, but what about just a little further afield (like Stoke, Peverell, St Judes, even the far side of Mutley)? I've never been quite clear on that.

Hmmm. Isn't Newcastle a real university of the civic/redbrick era? Guess it must've come down in the world if it's getting lumped in with some of those[1].

Newcastle has two unis, the old redbrick one (Russell Group) and the much more recent Northumbria, which IIRC usually does a lot better than many in the ratings and is well regarded.

Newcastle has two unis, the old redbrick one (Russell Group) and the much more recent Northumbria, which IIRC usually does a lot better than many in the ratings and is well regarded.

Fully agreed.

Northumbria is a great ex poly, often with higher educational standards than Newcastle. Especially in engineering and fashion.

Newcastle is where you get your degree, northumbria is where you get a degree in something useful.

I went Plimuff Uni in the 90's to, what a great time I had there too.

As to how far do the students really extend?

Well all over in my day certainly St Judes and the far side of Mutley Plain(Thats were i was) I knew one bloke who lived in Stone House(A real rough s**t hole)

I think the OP may have a good point with this.