House Price Crash Forum
goldbug9999

Anecdotal: Gazillions Of "to Let" Offices In Bristol Center

Couldn't help noticing that seemed to be "to let" signs for commercial property hanging off every 2nd building around the centre of bristol these days. Also noticed that the riverside area was very very quiet on saturday night. Exactly who is keeping the economy propped up at the moment - the only person I know who is gainfully employed with a good salary is ... me B) .

Bradford centre is the same. Huge amounts of office space to rent. All the car parking spots in the area where I work are empty (probably because they are all 4hr slots and no one can actually use them when they are in work).

I can understand why new businesses wouldn't want to move into the area when their employees either park 1/2 a mile away which is still un-metered or pay £3+ per day in parking (probably small fry to some, but thats £60 a month you're not going to get back and its going to hurt the lower paid office drones).

There have been big 'to let' signs on some of the new office spaces near the M606 as well so its not just the centre.

Bradford is a hole though to be fair (I hate it but like my job... was offered a job in Harrogate in much nicer surroundings but didn't take it in the end).

Sheffield is the same, most of the big office space developments around the wicker area still seem to be empty, and they were finished over a year ago now I think. There are plenty of other developments from the last few years around Sheffield that haven't been used yet also.

Couldn't help noticing that seemed to be "to let" signs for commercial property hanging off every 2nd building around the centre of bristol these days. Also noticed that the riverside area was very very quiet on saturday night. Exactly who is keeping the economy propped up at the moment - the only person I know who is gainfully employed with a good salary is ... me B) .

I got lost on Saturday walking between temple meads and the city centre in this office area, so many empty offices and they are still developing more!

Its amazing they get away without any financial penalty. Park a car for 10 minutes longer than you paid for and its 100 quid - slap a massive unused, unwanted building down and it costs nothing.

Edited by RichB

Its amazing they get away without any financial penalty. Park a car for 10 minutes longer than you paid for and its 100 quid - slap a massive unused, unwanted building down and it costs nothing.

The rates bill will be pretty terrifying.

In 2009 we started to search for new offices in Peterborough as we had outgrown where we were. There was a huge number of properties in the town centre but almost none were viable. We finally settled on a nice office and were in by 2010. Even though the building is nice and it has better facilities than most, only about half the space is let.

Our old premises has lost most of its tenants and given the price the landlord paid for it versus the rent he has received for it, he must be feeling rather ill. It could be quite a nice place but the landlord's reputation isn't likely to sell any leases any time soon. Commercial property is also subject to full rates when it is empty which must help bring EAs to their senses a little. Start by offering about 40% off the asking price. We doubled our space for almost the same price as our old offices. It is probably worth paying a professional negotiator as he will almost certainly save more than his fee.

There's a big hpc thread on the Bristol emptiness subject by our Eric from 2009..may be worth you updating / comparing

Bristol: Enormous Number Of Empty Offices And Unsold Property Developments..

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Same same in Manchester, tons of signs on all the buildings everywhere advertising Bruntwood office space. They keep adding more and more office space like the building in Picadilly gardens and Portland Tower/City tower (which was before empty).

There was an exodus around 2006 when they were thinking of the Manchester congestion charge. The vote went through and was crushed. The nthe city council tried to flog the congestion charge yet again. But it was too late most companies had moved to cheaper business parks on the edge of the M60.

In London on a stag do this weekend. Was amazed to see empty offices and shops just a stone's throw from the City.

Give me an R

Give me an E

Give me a C

Give me an O

Give me a V

Give me an E

Give me an R

Give me a Y

What have you got?

A LIE.

There's a very sizeable industrial development being built by the M5, just north of Bridgwater where the Willow Man stands.

http://www.tonyhowell.co.uk/willowman.htm

On a side issue, Willow Man stands (stood) in a lovely piece of open Somerset countryside, but now has factories up his a r s e. Who gave planning for that?

Anyway, the advertising boards are bragging about new industrial developments, jobs and new homes. All looks very optimistic and a very large financial investment. But I can't help feel a bit cynical about its success. I would have thought a very large financial outlay was a mistake at present and I'm curious as to how successful all this will be.

Bristol had surplus city centre office space in the boom years.

Many cities had the same problem. A lot of older stock went over to student accommodation.

thats very true but thats pension fund owned property,when is the crash coming to bristol ? thats what i want :ph34r: .houses back down to 3-4 times salary. of the last 10 people ive employed none owned a house , they all rented and did,nt have any future thoughts of buying due to debt for life ! they only live for the weekend now :(

Never thought of it like that, well said, as a footnote I am a denizen of Brizzle and just before xmas took a boat from the centre to temple meads, the empty office space viewed from the river is striking like something from a "survivour" type film, we all know it apart from the sheeple, games up ! too much reliance on services and not enough production in the uk, the credit bubble just masked the end for us ! Anyone know of a cheap isolated farm for sale/grabs ! :)

Edited by mrmagooisagovteconomist

There's a very sizeable industrial development being built by the M5, just north of Bridgwater where the Willow Man stands.

http://www.tonyhowell.co.uk/willowman.htm

On a side issue, Willow Man stands (stood) in a lovely piece of open Somerset countryside, but now has factories up his a r s e. Who gave planning for that?

Anyway, the advertising boards are bragging about new industrial developments, jobs and new homes. All looks very optimistic and a very large financial investment. But I can't help feel a bit cynical about its success. I would have thought a very large financial outlay was a mistake at present and I'm curious as to how successful all this will be.

I think its a Morrisons distribution centre !

We're in Warrington and some numpties built a spanking new estate complex of offices next to the M6 a few years ago in about 3 phases. The first phase was snapped up, but subsequent units have been deserted since completion. The shear waste of it all really gets me mad some nights when I drive past. Plenty of "To Let" signs on other, older units too.

Would love to hear the story behind the development & funding of these units - just WHO is losing money on these empty shells? (God knows what the maintenance cost of an empty building, landscaping, keeping car park gypo-free etc is)

I think its a Morrisons distribution centre !

when morrisons took over safeway they they shut the huge distribution centre at cribbs causeway to rid thereselves of the union run monstrosity that it was and could not reopen it for a few years without hiring ex staff. the new hub will be a low wage or economic migrant type place me thinks :(

What about the new junc 29a M1. "too big to miss" is the strap line. big plots of land cleared, pegged out. Now seems to be an expensive exercise in growing grass.

That's the Henry Boot Markham Vale site.

To be fair another developer Prologis seems to have done OK with speculative Distribution centre builds like Pineham further south down the M1. It takes a bit of conviction to build a half million square foot of warehouse without a tenant lined up.