House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MattW

Norwich & Peterborough Building Society Fined £1.4 Million For Mis-Selling Complex Investment Products

Grauniad report

Keydata products sold were riskier than customers were lead to believe. Still...at least the staff got a nice healthy commission.

I opened up a current account with N & P and last week I was investigating their savings products. The AER on them were lousy. However, I suppose the N & P have to recoup the fine and projected £51m compensation to it's customers from somewhere.

I don't know what particular keydata products were involved (nor indeed what keydata products existed, apart from two VCTs, which noone would ever have sold as "low-risk").

The VCTs were utterly terrible investments. But their position was not without value: they ended up being transferred to Foresight group to salvage what value could be made of the wreck. Recently they were borged into the (original) Foresight VCT, so their investors now have shares - albeit valued at a small fraction of what they originally paid - in something better. The combination appears to work well: Keydata had a portfolio that needs servicing but were unable to raise money to service it; Foresight has the money and so can nurture the latent value of keydata.

(as a Foresight shareholder I've watched this unfold. No dividend since 2009, but a nice big capital gain makes that sacrifice look worthwhile. And now there's another possible salvage scenario unfolding as Foresight take on management of Acuity, another historic disaster area - though it's not quite the same 'cos they're not about to borg it into an existing fund).