House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cyprinus

I Only Watch German Tv, Do I Need A License?

Following on from some recent threads I thought I would ask the question.

I have a satellite dish which only picks up German TV and as I never bother with any of the BBC channels do I need to buy a license?

I wouldn't bother with a TV licence if I were you. Even if they look through your window and see what your watching they'd find it quite difficult to tally up what they see with their list of live TV (i.e. Radiotimes).

I have a satellite dish which only picks up German TV and as I never bother with any of the BBC channels do I need to buy a license?

The law states that a person must have a TV licence if they own TV signal receiving equipment and use it to watch or record TV stations. It dont matter if you never watch BBC or not.

However, if you were to get a knock from the TV licence men, you would have to grass yourself up and then sign your own self incriminating statement. You are under no obligation to invite the TV men into your home or to answer any of thier questions. So if you dont mind being a little bit hard nosed, then you dont need a TV licence.

I say dont pay it as I resent the BBC and resent even more having to pay for own propagandising.

Yes, to watch any TV as it's broadcast (although some claim it's not even for that, just for "installing"). Whether or not you think "What a load of nonsense" and ignore it, knowing that they probably won't go further than a few bullying letters, is up to you. IANAL etc.

If you watch or record live TV, I'm afraid so.

Is there something similar to iPLayer for the things you watch? If you're not watching them as broadcast via the internet then there's definitely nothing they can do about it.

Watching TV on the Internet. Licence required... But if I have a computer that is on the net it is capable of being a TV receiver.

We had a video for editing stuff the marketing dept were doing - the TV licence goons got excited but we had no way of receiving the signal since our equipment was incomplete.

Watching TV on the Internet. Licence required...

Only if you watch live streams, such as those put out by the BBC.

iPlayer isn't live so there's no licence required to watch that.

You only need to buy a licence if you live in the UK.

:)

Other countries sometimes tax you for a TV, just in other ways (I know that France does anyway).

Other countries sometimes tax you for a TV, just in other ways (I know that France does anyway).

Countries exist now?

Oh okay. Best pay up then.

I'd pay for a UK one and a German licence just to be on the safe side - Sicherheit!

I saw the thread and shouted "NEIN"

was I wrong?

Yes, you do as you are receiving a live broadcast.