House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GloomMonger

Homebase

So out comes the sun and the little lady wants some garden furniture. Off we go to Homebase. On display is a very nice glass table and 6 chairs with parasol for £199. Big piece of card on the table says "Take Home Today". Good deal I think. Find a member of staff to help me locate the set but she tells me it's not in stock, won't be again but is available online. Strange. I point to the sign and question why it says "Take Home Today". She apologises. I say ok, lets go to B&Q. B&Q, similar sets but twice the price. Decide to try the other Homebase, the bigger store. Drive 20 minutes only to discover it has closed down, opening soon as Pet World. So go home to order it online and would you adam and eve it, it's not on the website.

Is Homebase on the way out? Can I get them to stop displaying this table that isn't for sale? Can I claim my petrol and time back? B)

Is Homebase on the way out? Can I get them to stop displaying this table that isn't for sale? Can I claim my petrol and time back? B)

Ring trading standards. They might help.

You could of course take a pally journalist with you and see whether you can get barred from the store for wanting to buy something!

:)

Simples! Buy the one on display after first asking the manager to knock off 10% for wear and tear

Sadly the display model is quite tatty and my wife asked the girl and she said it wasn't for sale. Perhaps this is the new shopping concept, advertise cheap goods, sell none.

Ring trading standards. They might help.

You could of course take a pally journalist with you and see whether you can get barred from the store for wanting to buy something!

:)

I'm going back tomorrow to cause a fuss.

My anecdotal..

I was in Homebase last week buying the wooden patio table and chairs.

Set (4 chairs and table) on offer reduced from £270 to £199

I asked if I could purchase them separately and

Table £70

Chairs (two per box) £50 x 2

so £170 plus 10% off day

= £153 for exactly the same item.

Carried it all to the til and the girl rang it through the til and it defaulted to the set price... I asked her to cancel and put the table through as a separate transaction and it did work out £27 cheaper.