House Price Crash Forum
88Crash

Why Hpc Has Lost The Plot

Just to get some attention, I thought I would start a new thread, with my reply to a previous post

I think HPC is getting too many new threads, that are either a bit off topic to start with or go off topic so quickly, that it defeats the object

There is an off topic forum - BUT the main forum is HPC - there is a clue in the name!

quote post='199314' date='Sep 26 2005, 06:08 PM' name='Catch22']

well numb nuts I here because I started this thread ....goooooooooood grief I'm almost certain I've fed slug pellets to more intelligent life forms than you. :rolleyes:

no no no.......scrub "almost certain" and replace with "absolutley certain" :lol:

I think this illustrates the 'slight problem' with this forum of late

Catch22 started with a reasonable point and ended up making comments like the above in retaliation

anyone seeing this thread now is going to be struggling to make any decent contributions, other than adding to the BS

This site is called HPC and there is a clue in the name

Maybe because there has been such a lack of bulls in the last few months - we have lost the forum element,hence it quickly degrades into flippant/off topic comments

I'm not saying we all have to agree on the same thing, in the same way and there is nothing wrong with heated debate and a few swear words, but for f**ks sake, the forum IOM has lost the plot

I've learn't a lot of serious knowledge from this forum over the last year, but increasingly I am learning/benefiting less, hence I log on less and hence I contribute less

Back to the HPC - in Surrey (I think the most expensive county in the UK) there is good news and bad news

Bad news - there has been a revival in prices/completions in the last couple of months

Good news - looks like a 'dead cat bounce' - in the last couple of weeks - things are not looking so good

IMO the cycle has more dynamic than the last crash and HPC will be far quicker this time!

Off topic I don't know what you mean sunshine.

Did anyone see the ball game last night?

Hi Dicky

Because this is an intenet forum - I can't see you, hear you - so WTF do you mean?

Can you be a bit more specific?

Hi Dicky

Because this is an intenet forum - I can't see you, hear you - so WTF do you mean?

Can you be a bit more specific?

Don't take it so personally, I was only taking your thread of going off topic, off topic, get it,

Edited by Dicky

Don't take it so personally, I was only taking your thread of going off topic, off topic, get it,

i wasn't taking it personally and now I get it (quite funny)

My point is - cos its written so briefly, I didn't get it at first and where I took several minutes to write my initial post (which is serious - without trying to be too serious) a few flippant posts like yours PLUS my reply back to you means if a few more of us add to this, anyone just viewing this post for the first time will probably turn off pretty quickly

Hence the post will die, as many others, then you end up with so many posts that only last a few hours, that lack IMO the quality of a few months back

BTW what do you think about the important point of a dead cat bounce in Surrey?

That is very relevant to this forum!

.........BTW what do you think about the important point of a dead cat bounce in Surrey?

There seems to have been a bit of a dead-cat bounce across parts of the country, which started with a "spring-blip" back in April/May and limped on through July and August. Sales volumes are still way down though and, like you say, this feeble bounce now seems to be fizzling out.

By November sales volumes will be plumbing new depths.

BTW what do you think about the important point of a dead cat bounce in Surrey?

In that case you need to start a thread on the subject with some pithy, up-to-the-minute observations, no-one interested in bouncing cat corpses in Surrey is going to go looking in yet another thread bemoaning irrelevant threads.

In that case you need to start a thread on the subject with some pithy, up-to-the-minute observations, no-one interested in bouncing cat corpses in Surrey is going to go looking in yet another thread bemoaning irrelevant threads.

Hi Bored Train Builder

i could start a thread to that effect and it probably would have been worthwhile several months back, but now it would probably get very few HPC responses (Bull or Bear) a few crap responses - so whats the point?

PS you've only been registered on this forum for a couple of months, so you probably won't appreciate thsi

I don't think HPC has lost the plot, it's as relevant as ever, and will get more relevant as time goes on. The membership will definitely keep swelling, IMO.

There seems to have been a bit of a dead-cat bounce across parts of the country, which started with a "spring-blip" back in April/May and limped on through July and August. Sales volumes are still way down though and, like you say, this feeble bounce now seems to be fizzling out.

By November sales volumes will be plumbing new depths.

Dead cat bounces are nothing new, but I was surprised how quick it started (after one quarter point drop in interest rates) and the how quick it seems to have fizzled out

This is based on a limited knowledge of 10 house sales, 2 estate agents and 1 mortgage broker, but the stuff iam aware of relates to over 10 million worth of property, so while it it not representative of Surrey (far less the UK) make me think that something is happening out there

plus I supply most of the major Uk housebuilders in the UK - add it all up - and IMO it seems very different to last time (the 88 Crash)

I don't think HPC has lost the plot, it's as relevant as ever, and will get more relevant as time goes on. The membership will definitely keep swelling, IMO.

Ok I used 'lost the plot' as a headline to get some attention, but Warwickshire Lad, you've been on this forum as long as I have

Have you noticed a bit of a difference in the topics, their relavance and longevity in the last few months?

plus I supply most of the major Uk housebuilders in the UK - add it all up - and IMO it seems very different to last time (the 88 Crash)

At the moment the market seems to be dying a much more protracted slow death, rather than crashing fast. Well, whatever.

If you are debt free with savings, then think yourself lucky that just for the small issue of not "owning" a house, you are in a much superior position financially.

Have you noticed a bit of a difference in the topics, their relavance and longevity in the last few months?

I have certainly noticed that there are a lot less threads moved to "The Classics" forum these days. Not sure whether that's simply due to lack of merit in the discussion or simply because Webmaster hasn't had time to trawl through and choose some more recent threads.

It is summer remember, so many have also been on holiday, including me. :)

I suppose for those of us who have been on the forum for a long while, there is a repetitiveness to the discussion - but I can still remember back to when I found this forum for the first time - it was truly a revelation !

I hope it carries on being that for many others who are new.

Just to get some attention, I thought I would start a new thread, with my reply to a previous post

I think HPC is getting too many new threads, that are either a bit off topic to start with or go off topic so quickly, that it defeats the object

There is an off topic forum - BUT the main forum is HPC - there is a clue in the name!

quote post='199314' date='Sep 26 2005, 06:08 PM' name='Catch22']

well numb nuts I here because I started this thread ....goooooooooood grief I'm almost certain I've fed slug pellets to more intelligent life forms than you. :rolleyes:

no no no.......scrub "almost certain" and replace with "absolutley certain" :lol:

I think this illustrates the 'slight problem' with this forum of late

Catch22 started with a reasonable point and ended up making comments like the above in retaliation

anyone seeing this thread now is going to be struggling to make any decent contributions, other than adding to the BS

This site is called HPC and there is a clue in the name

Maybe because there has been such a lack of bulls in the last few months - we have lost the forum element,hence it quickly degrades into flippant/off topic comments

I'm not saying we all have to agree on the same thing, in the same way and there is nothing wrong with heated debate and a few swear words, but for f**ks sake, the forum IOM has lost the plot

I've learn't a lot of serious knowledge from this forum over the last year, but increasingly I am learning/benefiting less, hence I log on less and hence I contribute less

Back to the HPC - in Surrey (I think the most expensive county in the UK) there is good news and bad news

Bad news - there has been a revival in prices/completions in the last couple of months

Good news - looks like a 'dead cat bounce' - in the last couple of weeks - things are not looking so good

IMO the cycle has more dynamic than the last crash and HPC will be far quicker this time!

Jeez 88crash you first posted this reply [which I answered] to the thread I originaly started about the needless off topic and duplicate posts cloging up the main forum.........and you then go and duplicate it yourself with another thread....theres such a thing as copyright you know :rolleyes:

PS: I hope your cat gets better. :ph34r:

Edited by Catch22

At the moment the market seems to be dying a much more protracted slow death, rather than crashing fast. Well, whatever.

If you are debt free with savings, then think yourself lucky that just for the small issue of not "owning" a house, you are in a much superior position financially.

You are obviously a bit younger than me - it isn't protacted and slow, although if you are trying to buy a home and you can't afford it, unless prices fall to a reasonable level - it must seem like ages

However- prices have been falling for approx 12 months, this is the beginning

Its taken approx 60 months to get to this level - it won't drop back in 6 months

Prices were boomong approx 18-24 months before most people in realsed (pre BTL days)

Likewise it takes many months for Joe Public to realise there is a problem

Hence price rises/falls tend to have a bit of a lag before they accelerate (bit like a turbo)

When it kicks in however, it is quite dramatic BUT it will still take a couple of years - thats the nature of UK housing ASSUMING history repeats itself

Jeez 88crash you first posted this reply [which I answered] to the thread I originaly started about the needless off topic and duplicate posts cloging up the main forum.........and you then go and duplicate it yourself....theres such a thing as copyright you know :rolleyes:

PS: I hope your cat gets better. :ph34r:

Sorry catch22 - I only just read your reply - bad manners on my part

PS the cat didn't make it!

This is a forum and no one is really invited nor barred (unless you are really naughty that is) so should you not be celebrating the growing membership of people from all walks of life no matter what they can contribute? Personally speaking I am a professional in my own right and industry and although I know I can add little intellectual reasoned economic arguments and debates I like to think that there are others in my position who have an open mind, want to learn something new and contribute in any way... even if that means just trying to be funny and crack a smile on a fellow posters face. After all we are all in a similar situation, so why be so down about a few humerous posts.

In the end I think what has happened in the last few months I have been a member is that the Bulls have gone their posturing lost to reasoned debate. Therefore, if a house price crash is happening (as we all believe) what can we HPC memebers do? Argue with each other a fact we all see?

Chill.

B)

Guest tenant super
Hi Bored Train Builder

i could start a thread to that effect and it probably would have been worthwhile several months back, but now it would probably get very few HPC responses (Bull or Bear) a few crap responses - so whats the point?

PS you've only been registered on this forum for a couple of months, so you probably won't appreciate thsi

By a strange coincidence I made the first post in the, "Whats happening in your area" forum, Surrey thread, a couple of hours ago, the first made there since March!! Now I find an irrelevant thread in the main forum and 88Crash telling us that nobody would bother replying if they were to post there....!!

..Shamefully he was right!

Tis a funny old world. <_<

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...20entry199469

Edited by tenant super

This is a forum and no one is really invited nor barred (unless you are really naughty that is) so should you not be celebrating the growing membership of people from all walks of life no matter what they can contribute? Personally speaking I am a professional in my own right and industry and although I know I can add little intellectual reasoned economic arguments and debates I like to think that there are others in my position who have an open mind, want to learn something new and contribute in any way... even if that means just trying to be funny and crack a smile on a fellow posters face. After all we are all in a similar situation, so why be so down about a few humerous posts.

In the end I think what has happened in the last few months I have been a member is that the Bulls have gone their posturing lost to reasoned debate. Therefore, if a house price crash is happening (as we all believe) what can we HPC memebers do? Argue with each other a fact we all see?

Chill.

B)

Hey shakerbaby- I agree and there is nothing wrong with chilling, likewise humerous posts

I am not saying that we shoould all be dead serious - but I can't help but notice that an excess of humour can quickly turn a construcive post or debating post (for want of a better word) into a topic that lasts for a short time, serves little point and in the end, the humour it may contain will be lost because not enough people read it or respond to it and it is quickly replaced by 20 new posts

By a strange coincidence I made the first post in the, "Whats happening in your area" forum, Surrey thread, a couple of hours ago, the first made there since March!! Now I find an irrelevant thread in the main forum and 88Crash telling us that nobody would bother replying if they were to post there....!!

88crash don't you just hate it when that happens :D;)

tenant super is right though, you have to post in the relevent area, I posted a detailed offering in the Yorkshire section last Friday. OK no ones passed comment or added their own mussings, but I dare say it has been read. We have all got to try that bit harder, so in future could you post Surrey related ramblings in the "whats happening in your area" section ....theres a good chap :rolleyes:;)

Hey shakerbaby- I agree and there is nothing wrong with chilling, likewise humerous posts

I am not saying that we shoould all be dead serious - but I can't help but notice that an excess of humour can quickly turn a construcive post or debating post (for want of a better word) into a topic that lasts for a short time, serves little point and in the end, the humour it may contain will be lost because not enough people read it or respond to it and it is quickly replaced by 20 new posts

I agree however what do you propose as an alternative? Like any great idea HPC.co.uk could be a victim of its own success. Afterall if the sky is blue and clear for all to see who can you debate with apart from the deluded ill informed insane (and just maybe the colour-blind). :unsure:

Certainly is!

Just looked at your Surrey post - Apart from Reigate, many new build developments in Surrey are struggling, As I posted a few months back about a couple that have taken to letting their new builds directly to the public

Building companies becoming landlords is a sure sign that things are not going as well as they would like us to believe!

well numb nuts I here because I started this thread ....goooooooooood grief I'm almost certain I've fed slug pellets to more intelligent life forms than you.

If you see a post which contains insults or other derogatory comments against forum members, and appears to have little or nothing to do with house prices (such as the example above), the correct response is to report posts that you think are in contravention of the forum rules to the moderators, who will deal with it appropriately, rather than responding to them, which only exacerbates and prolongs off-topic and unacceptable content.

I encourage everyone to read the forum rules thoroughly, and to try to bear them in mind whenever the urge to indulge in a slanging-match or a bout of mud-slinging arises:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...?act=boardrules

I agree however what do you propose as an alternative? Like any great idea HPC.co.uk could be a victim of its own success. Afterall if the sky is blue and clear for all to see who can you debate with apart from the deluded ill informed insane (and just maybe the colour-blind). :unsure:

Shakerbaby, I am not proposing an alternative, too many people, too many opinions and like so many things in life, there is no right or wrong, black and white etc,

But as an observation, I find too many recent posts serve little point or purpose

They start off with a constructive or debatable theme and within a short time degenerate into too many flippant comments, that have f**k all to do with the original post

Maybe you're right and HPC has become a victim of its own sucess?

I don't expect to read epic novels on a forum such as this, but all I know is several months back, I learn't a lot from a lot of different people

Don't get the same benefit nowadays

Maybe I'm getting too old?

If you see a post which contains insults or other derogatory comments against forum members, and appears to have little or nothing to do with house prices (such as the example above), the correct response is to report posts that you think are in contravention of the forum rules to the moderators, who will deal with it appropriately, rather than responding to them, which only exacerbates and prolongs off-topic and unacceptable content.

I encourage everyone to read the forum rules thoroughly, and to try to bear them in mind whenever the urge to indulge in a slanging-match or a bout of mud-slinging arises:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...?act=boardrules

Good point IPOD, although I must point out the quote you refer to was posted by me from another forum and Catch22 only made this quote in retaliation to several other posts

Your point is still 100% spot on, but Catch22's reply is a little 'out of context' in this forum - which is MY fault - apologies Catch22

I have certainly noticed that there are a lot less threads moved to "The Classics" forum these days. Not sure whether that's simply due to lack of merit in the discussion or simply because Webmaster hasn't had time to trawl through and choose some more recent threads.

It is summer remember, so many have also been on holiday, including me. :)

I suppose for those of us who have been on the forum for a long while, there is a repetitiveness to the discussion - but I can still remember back to when I found this forum for the first time - it was truly a revelation !

I hope it carries on being that for many others who are new.

I noticed the drop in addition of thread to the 'classic forum' too. In fact I think one has been removed. :(

You are obviously a bit younger than me - it isn't protacted and slow, although if you are trying to buy a home and you can't afford it, unless prices fall to a reasonable level - it must seem like ages

However- prices have been falling for approx 12 months, this is the beginning

Its taken approx 60 months to get to this level - it won't drop back in 6 months

Prices were boomong approx 18-24 months before most people in realsed (pre BTL days)

Likewise it takes many months for Joe Public to realise there is a problem

Hence price rises/falls tend to have a bit of a lag before they accelerate (bit like a turbo)

When it kicks in however, it is quite dramatic BUT it will still take a couple of years - thats the nature of UK housing ASSUMING history repeats itself

My thoughts in a nutshell - I think quite a few newer posters are younger and more radical in their thoughts but lack the experience of having witnessed this before.

I believe we have a way top go yet and the media are only just beggining to slowly throw joe public snippets of information to soften the blow when it arrives.

I think we should be more open to debate as we are not at meltdown yet and things could still change course (though I don't see how). Whatever happens keep an open mind and be patient as I believe we have another 12-18 months before there are any really big falls unless the BOE start to raise rates more significantly or Brown pulls the plug on public spending.

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_...ricecrash.co.uk

traffic to HPC looks like it has droppped off in the past few weeks, are the forums less popular at the moment? and why? Lopoking at alexa data, Singing Pig seems to have had a revival during the recent decline in HPC.

Do we need more gurilla marketing?

HPCDailyReach.png

HPCvsSingingPig.png

post-552-1127810021_thumb.jpg

post-552-1127810178_thumb.jpg

Edited by moosetea