House Price Crash Forum

'lose Your Jobs Or Move To The Philippines (But You'll Get A Rice Allowance And 200 Month Wage)

Guest eight

Thats a cracking indoor market there in Darlo

The indoor market is half empty - Prest and Villiers being one high profile closure. The outdoor market, for reasons I don't know, dwindled in size until it looked so sad on the market square that they now hold it along the pedestrianised bit of Northgate. I wonder if there are any similar sized provincial towns in the UK that have a market square yet choose to hold the market elsewhere? I wouldn't be surprised if it breaches some ancient byelaw or other. The market square is now just a hangout for kids and drunken chavs, at all hours of the day and night.

eight

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The indoor market is half empty - Prest and Villiers being one high profile closure. The outdoor market, for reasons I don't know, dwindled in size until it looked so sad on the market square that they now hold it along the pedestrianised bit of Northgate. I wonder if there are any similar sized provincial towns in the UK that have a market square yet choose to hold the market elsewhere? I wouldn't be surprised if it breaches some ancient byelaw or other. The market square is now just a hangout for kids and drunken chavs, at all hours of the day and night.

eight

I used to do most of my shopping there when I lived up norf many years ago.

I believe this what my learned friends call 'constructive dismissal' (ie setting up intolerable terms and conditions that force employees to resign).

An employment tribunal beckons

I suspect that "offer to move" was just the company satisfying the redundancy requirements to consider employees for other vacancies.

tim

There has got to be a black list in this country for companies that are doing this.

Any company/brand doing this and they go on an official UK Blacklist for consumers.

This i know is totally unrealistic – thanks largely due to our bovine-esque population too dim and off their tits on celebrity inspired consumerism to glance up and think why this might be happening.

The public gets what the public wants.

I think it's totally unrealistic because there aren't any companies left not doing it

tim

In IT / service related professions this is only going to become more common - people don't realise that Globalisation isn't going to stop with the old traditional British jobs like ship building and more recently call centres :rolleyes:

Also to dispel the stereotypes etc I am currently outsourcing some of my IT business interests to a lady in the Philippines who is in her mid 20s, extremely well qualified and who works part time (15 hour) for $50 per week. Before anyone says I am exploiting her / not offering to others etc I am paying her the same as she earns in her full time job 8-5 5 days per week and her standard of English is better than 90% of the UK population who can't be arsed to even work from home :angry:

Fair enough, tbh. Globalisation seeks to extract yield, where differential exists and it's not all about evil fat cats exploiting the poor.

However, it begs the question - if there was a highly skilled, yet unemployed, IT worker who wanted to do the work for the same money here, do you think it should be illegal? Of course, they wouldn't do it, as they would lose their benefits. However, in a world where there was a citizens income or negative income tax, it would be better than being idle. Agreed?

Whatever mate , you are undermining first world workers.

You are scum.

I hope you end up living in third world conditions like the people you employ for a pittance.

undermining first world workers? is that a joke?

oh those poor first world workers :rolleyes:

Scum of the earth. I cancelled a Internet subsricption with them. I stopped paying and stopped using their service. They then denied I had made contact and billed me for £77 of late payment charges. I have asked them to provide evidence I signed a contract to agree to these charges. Nothing except ongoing threats of court action unless I pay £77. I told them to shove their extortion racket up their arses. They can see me in the small claims court in Riyadh :lol:

Agree with this. Had a right tough time cancelling an Orange contract, when I cancelled the direct debit as a failsafe they sent me similar letters and they f*cked up my credit rating despite telling me the contract was cancelled on the phone. I would never go with this piss poor company again.

Interesting as well that as India moves up the value chain and tackles wage inflation that it is now being bypassed for this kind of work which only a few short years ago it would have been the first destination for.

Orange have always been a bunch of *****. About 10 years ago i had a contract when i was living on a boat and using my mobile as a modem for my laptop as my only connection but at a scorching 9Kbps not many other people did for more than minimum email checking. It was confusingly shown before vat on the itemized bill as £0.00875 / min until one month my bill jumped significantly and i noticed they'd moved the decimal point one place only on the data usage to £0.0875 / min. Normal people were hardly using data for more than the odd email check and more then likely mostly business contracts with big bills anyway so wouldn't have noticed an extra pound or 2. I phoned them and they admitted the "mistake" and refunded me. Impossible i would say to accidentally net a million or 2 extra in that way. Taught me a good lesson in corporate ethics though.

Whatever mate , you are undermining first world workers.

You are scum.

I hope you end up living in third world conditions like the people you employ for a pittance.

Good! This is the essence of comparative advantage, and the very thing that has driven falling prices (including rents) in the last ten years. The solution to job replacement has already been put on this thread but seemingly everyone has missed it - employ your own flip IT worker to increase your own productivity then find the value added tasks he/she can't do. Sure we could protect our sacred call centres, but everything will be more expensive and less efficient as a result.

I had a 40 page powerpoint presentation made up for me the other week by an Indian fella off 'Freelancer' for £130.

I used the day or 2 of time saved to concentrate on things I was better at and were more valauble for the company. Him and his mates probbaly had a good week that week.

I didnt feel like scum to be honest roughneck,

Thankfully there are some intelligent people here who can connect the dots. The only reason we all have cheap iPods, LCD TVs etc is due to the global marketplace.

I honestly tried to outsource my repetitive IT related tasks to several UK workers and no one was interested even though I would have paid £10 hour to work at home at any hours they wanted :rolleyes:

Places like www.odesk.com, www.elance.com and Philippine specific outsourcing agencies gave me more than 10 graduate or PHD level candidates who I could pay directly via PayPal for £5 hour maximum. As a small business owner with work anyone with an internet connection can do it was a simple choice. Outsourcing jobs and being net importers of everything is a one way street I'm afraid and once people in the UK and USA realise it won't stop until everyone does work at the same Global wages then this process will only accelerate.

Hopefully some of the lazy work shy feckers who are second of third generation of people living solely off benefits will be forced to get the UK moving again in some form or forced / voluntary work but I feel the boat has already sailed and the rest of the World's people have already caught up with our alleged advantages and the UK and USA etc are yesterdays first World countries.

Thankfully there are some intelligent people here who can connect the dots. The only reason we all have cheap iPods, LCD TVs etc is due to the global marketplace.

I honestly tried to outsource my repetitive IT related tasks to several UK workers and no one was interested even though I would have paid £10 hour to work at home at any hours they wanted :rolleyes:

Places like www.odesk.com, www.elance.com and Philippine specific outsourcing agencies gave me more than 10 graduate or PHD level candidates who I could pay directly via PayPal for £5 hour maximum. As a small business owner with work anyone with an internet connection can do it was a simple choice. Outsourcing jobs and being net importers of everything is a one way street I'm afraid and once people in the UK and USA realise it won't stop until everyone does work at the same Global wages then this process will only accelerate.

Hopefully some of the lazy work shy feckers who are second of third generation of people living solely off benefits will be forced to get the UK moving again in some form or forced / voluntary work but I feel the boat has already sailed and the rest of the World's people have already caught up with our alleged advantages and the UK and USA etc are yesterdays first World countries.

They can afford to work for £5 an hour mostly because they don't have to find £750 a month before they get a penny for themselves.

nowt to do with laziness, all to do with imposed costs by rentiers.

They can afford to work for £5 an hour mostly because they don't have to find £750 a month before they get a penny for themselves.

+1. Quality point. Just sums up the whole problem with Britain right now.

Very good point.

May I add that as more and more jobs are exported to India, China etc these countries will have absolutely no qualms about maintaining tariffs and barriers to prevent us from ever getting them back. It will be a one way street. Even when wages and the standard of living in the UK have fallen to the point that we can compete again we will be prevented from doing so. They look after themselves.

You can forget any hope of the principles* of 'fair trade' to be applied in reverse. When you see how badly the ruling classes in these countries are prepared to treat their own people just think how well they will treat their UK slave labour. The new masters will not be benevolent..

A recurring theme over many dialogues with businessmen from these countries is that they cannot believe what an easy target we present. Lambs to the slaughter!

* Nor diversity, equal opportunities, 'elf and safety or environmental concerns

Edited by Buccaneer

very succinct

Everything comes back to completely inept governments the past 40 years or so.

You can bet that they have equivalent rentiers over there too, but they just haven't managed to get their snouts as deeply into the trough.

Either way, until $200 in the Philippines gets closer to $2,000 in the UK, people will seek to take advantage of that difference. Over time, the difference will shrink, with those in poverty becoming less so and the others becoming relatively less wealthy. With the Internet, communication is breaking down the barriers to entry for the poorer countries and I would say the process will accelerate, if anything.

However, people forget that even if we stood still, technology is bound to improve our standard of living regardless. As soon as the energy crisis is solved (IMO, less time than many think), the next spurt of growth will come and we will all benefit, with the poor countries benefiting the most.

As for the talk of China becoming our new masters or some such, I just don't buy it; you don't become masters by doing what the rest of the world could do themselves, but cheaper, with the aid of oppression. If anything, I see a more even spread of wealth around the world, but I don't see what will drive another country into super dominant position.

You can bet that they have equivalent rentiers over there too, but they just haven't managed to get their snouts as deeply into the trough.

Either way, until $200 in the Philippines gets closer to $2,000 in the UK, people will seek to take advantage of that difference. Over time, the difference will shrink, with those in poverty becoming less so and the others becoming relatively less wealthy. With the Internet, communication is breaking down the barriers to entry for the poorer countries and I would say the process will accelerate, if anything.

However, people forget that even if we stood still, technology is bound to improve our standard of living regardless. As soon as the energy crisis is solved (IMO, less time than many think), the next spurt of growth will come and we will all benefit, with the poor countries benefiting the most.

As for the talk of China becoming our new masters or some such, I just don't buy it; you don't become masters by doing what the rest of the world could do themselves, but cheaper, with the aid of oppression. If anything, I see a more even spread of wealth around the world, but I don't see what will drive another country into super dominant position.

People are going to put borders up, then attack each other.

Everything comes back to completely inept governments the past 40 years or so.

Oh no - it comes down to the supremacy and eptness of governments over the last 40 years.

They are fantastic at sucking the wealth out of an economy, which is their sole purpose.

A recurring theme over many dialogues with businessmen from these countries is that they cannot believe what an easy target we present. Lambs to the slaughter!

It's a trap, Corporate Capitalism is eating itself. We're sharing the weatlh alright, just not in the same way as people have been fooled into thinking.