House Price Crash Forum

'lose Your Jobs Or Move To The Philippines (But You'll Get A Rice Allowance And 200 Month Wage)

HOLA441

Workers at a mobile phone company have been told they can keep their jobs - if they move to the Philippines.

Staff at Orange customer service centre in Darlington, County Durham, say they were even given details of a 'rice allowance' they could claim as part of the 'transfer' package to work for IBM in Manila.

Orange, which last year merged with T-Mobile to create Everything Everywhere, recently confirmed that 40 staff would be affected by plans to outsource some work abroad.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1378029/Mobile-phone-workers-told-lose-jobs-Philippines-youll-rice-allowance.html#ixzz1Jtsi31BB

Pretty funny i think, i'd been with orange once and never again, and i really believe this story.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

These stories are becoming increasingly common. A few months ago there was a story about Japanese staff being asked to move to Thailand to continue their jobs. If they refused they would be fired. However OTOH if they did move they would never make enough money to return to Japan and live any sort of life other than a beggar.

6-7 months ago there was reverse outsourcing discussed too where people would go to India do the same jobs they did in the UK but for local wages. Again these people returned to a penniless state upon their return.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Workers at a mobile phone company have been told they can keep their jobs - if they move to the Philippines.

Staff at Orange customer service centre in Darlington, County Durham, say they were even given details of a 'rice allowance' they could claim as part of the 'transfer' package to work for IBM in Manila.

Orange, which last year merged with T-Mobile to create Everything Everywhere, recently confirmed that 40 staff would be affected by plans to outsource some work abroad.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1378029/Mobile-phone-workers-told-lose-jobs-Philippines-youll-rice-allowance.html#ixzz1Jtsi31BB

Pretty funny i think, i'd been with orange once and never again, and i really believe this story.

Scum of the earth. I cancelled a Internet subsricption with them. I stopped paying and stopped using their service. They then denied I had made contact and billed me for £77 of late payment charges. I have asked them to provide evidence I signed a contract to agree to these charges. Nothing except ongoing threats of court action unless I pay £77. I told them to shove their extortion racket up their arses. They can see me in the small claims court in Riyadh :lol:

HOLA447

Of all the different ethnic groups out here I find the Filipinos the hardest to understand.

I can see it now - the call centre in Manila

Customer - Id like to extend my contract on the mobile phone. Ref No......

'Advisor' - you wha, eh eh, you wha,mmmmmmm,eh, eh, oooh, eh, eh

Edited by Kurt Barlow

HOLA448

A friend, who works in IT, is facing a similar choice.

HOLA449

I believe this what my learned friends call 'constructive dismissal' (ie setting up intolerable terms and conditions that force employees to resign).

An employment tribunal beckons

HOLA4410

In IT / service related professions this is only going to become more common - people don't realise that Globalisation isn't going to stop with the old traditional British jobs like ship building and more recently call centres :rolleyes:

Also to dispel the stereotypes etc I am currently outsourcing some of my IT business interests to a lady in the Philippines who is in her mid 20s, extremely well qualified and who works part time (15 hour) for $50 per week. Before anyone says I am exploiting her / not offering to others etc I am paying her the same as she earns in her full time job 8-5 5 days per week and her standard of English is better than 90% of the UK population who can't be arsed to even work from home :angry:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

In IT / service related professions this is only going to become more common - people don't realise that Globalisation isn't going to stop with the old traditional British jobs like ship building and more recently call centres :rolleyes:

Also to dispel the stereotypes etc I am currently outsourcing some of my IT business interests to a lady in the Philippines who is in her mid 20s, extremely well qualified and who works part time (15 hour) for $50 per week. Before anyone says I am exploiting her / not offering to others etc I am paying her the same as she earns in her full time job 8-5 5 days per week and her standard of English is better than 90% of the UK population who can't be arsed to even work from home :angry:

Well less people to buy stuff in our economy ending up with companies closing in the UK due to people no longing having money. The future is bright, the future is offshoring.

HOLA4413

Well less people to buy stuff in our economy ending up with companies closing in the UK due to people no longing having money. The future is bright, the future is offshoring.

The likely future is protectionism , the current and past is offshoring

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Whatever mate , you are undermining first world workers.

You are scum.

I hope you end up living in third world conditions like the people you employ for a pittance.

HOLA4416

Followed by war then a nice cup of tea.

I'm having a deva ju moment, again.

This is one of the great myths which seems to have entered the collective conciousness. Protectionism exists left right and centre already. Look at China.

The idea that any protectionism will cause war is spread by the lovely chaps who want cheap labour, slave labour, cheap input to their business et. etc.

They must have a jolly laugh at the way the public have swallowed it.

HOLA4417

Of all the different ethnic groups out here I find the Filipinos the hardest to understand.

I can see it now - the call centre in Manila

Customer - Id like to extend my contract on the mobile phone. Ref No......

'Advisor' - you wha, eh eh, you wha,mmmmmmm,eh, eh, oooh, eh, eh

Of all the different ethnic groups out here I find the Darlos the hardest to understand.

I can see it now - the office selling spurious advertising in Darlington.

There are at least 2 firms in Darlington using pay per click to sell front page advertising on search engines which as soon as payment is received is removed leaving purchasers scammed. Beware.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

There has got to be a black list in this country for companies that are doing this.

Any company/brand doing this and they go on an official UK Blacklist for consumers.

This i know is totally unrealistic – thanks largely due to our bovine-esque population too dim and off their tits on celebrity inspired consumerism to glance up and think why this might be happening.

The public gets what the public wants.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Good! This is the essence of comparative advantage, and the very thing that has driven falling prices (including rents) in the last ten years. The solution to job replacement has already been put on this thread but seemingly everyone has missed it - employ your own flip IT worker to increase your own productivity then find the value added tasks he/she can't do. Sure we could protect our sacred call centres, but everything will be more expensive and less efficient as a result.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Good! This is the essence of comparative advantage, and the very thing that has driven falling prices (including rents) in the last ten years. The solution to job replacement has already been put on this thread but seemingly everyone has missed it - employ your own flip IT worker to increase your own productivity then find the value added tasks he/she can't do. Sure we could protect our sacred call centres, but everything will be more expensive and less efficient as a result.

I'd rather protect our call centres (and IT support, etc.) than our high house prices if that's ok with you.

HOLA4424

The likely future is protectionism , the current and past is offshoring

A little protectionism since 2005 ish could have saved us having to go through a hell of a lot more in a few years time. Nevermind, since when did too much of one thing never hurt anybody!?!

Balance is so over-rated.

HOLA4425
Guest eight

Manila or Darlo................ close call!

They haven't got a brick train as far as I know.

I can confirm that this story is correct - I even personally know some of those involved. However it's being "sold" locally as a move to India, as if that is somehow more palatable? Only those in the know are aware of the Phillipines connection and they are being told to keep schtum about it.

eight