House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

Refused Insurance Quote As I'm 'not A Home Owner'

I'm angry!

I've just come off the phone from insurance broker http://www.caravanwise.co.uk after being told they cannot give me an insurance quote for my recently bought 14 yr old camper van ( worth no more than £2,000).

The reason given was simply because 'I was not a homeowner'.

This was before we got to any questions about value, driving offences, NCB ( I have 5 yrs & no convictions)

The questions were 1. name, 2. d.o.b , 3. occupation 4. Are you a home owner ?

The reason given by the sales person, was that following the demise of their relationship with NIG insurance who were part of the Bank of Scotland, they now deal with Zurich insurance.

Zurich will not insure drivers of camper vans / motor homes who are not home owners. I was told by the broker this is a recent event, they are not happy about it, and they are trying to resolve the situation.

I suggested they put it on the top of their website, so renters did not waste their time, but they said that as they were in negotiations with Zurich, the situation may shortly change.

I need to calm down a bit, but my first thoughts are:

1. Is this discrimination against renters ?

2. What is the legal definition of a ' homowner'. I have no debts, so am i a better insurance risk than a 'homowner' with a lot of negative equity and / or large credit card debts ?

3. Has this something to do with people who choose to live in a camper van, but reject living in a house. I live in a property, so the van was not going to be my sole residence, but we did not even get to that question.

:angry:

Is it cos you might live in your camper van and then the risk is higher?

I don't know. We did not even get to that question, I just answered the 4 questions I mentioned. I would have been happy to send them rent receipts if required.

They just said 'Zurich are not insuring people who are not home owners'

Edit: perhaps if there had been a premium for non- home owners as a higher risk I could understand this. But it was a flat refusal to insure.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

I don't know. We did not even get to that question, I just answered the 4 questions I mentioned. I would have been happy to send them rent receipts if required.

They just said 'Zurich are not insuring people who are not home owners'

What is their definition of homeoener - does it include homedebtors too? *****ers, if there is a basis in risk then jut load the premiums accordingly - best to ignore.

Have you tried a decent broker - get them to do the legwork - highly recommend A Plan if there is one local to you.

What is their definition of homeoener - does it include homedebtors too? *****ers, if there is a basis in risk then jut load the premiums accordingly - best to ignore.

Have you tried a decent broker - get them to do the legwork - highly recommend A Plan if there is one local to you.

I'm waiting for a call back from the Caravan Club Insurance broker who insured my camper 3 yrs ago.

As insurance is a legal requirement, I thought is an important issue (hence not in off-topic forum). Zurich are a big insurer, I've even been insured with them before I think.

What has fired me up is the point blank refusal to insure as i am 'not a homeowner', before we got to any talk of NCB, location, convictions.

I am under the impression that they are obliged to give you a motor insurance quote. If they don't want you, they quote daft prices.

I just phoned them back to check this. They said that when she fills in the online form saying 'not a homeowner' it will not proceed any further. So she was unable to get the system to give me a quote at all.

They said it was an exclusion on the policy by Zurich the underwriter, and this had been in place for over 2 months.

The sales person said they could not get insured themselves as they were a renter .

Alternatives suggested were the Caravan club & Adrian Flux ( as another hpc 'er kindly mentioned)

'Is it 'cos i rent'

title_ali_g.jpg

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Surely that's the quickest way to exclude pikeys travellers without breaching any sort human rights legislation.

+1 Matter of efficiency rather than human rights IMO. Would cost, and probably not work well, to try and distinguish different types of mobile home owner over the phone. Imagine the cost if they had to come and visit before they felt able to give a quote that was safe for their business.

It would be different if we had some form of nanny state govt that could force this private sector business to (against their will) offer us the insurance we want. ;)

maybe you should wait till youve saved enough for a space ship.

The nearest i'll get is converting a Renault Espace to a budget Space shuttle like this one

946594-large.jpg

912099-vlarge.jpg

better off changing my username to 'Saving for a mole' to escape humanity

as fuels cheaper & gravity is our friend .

Update: I just got insured with the caravan club for £300 fully comp. no probs....so the hunger strike is off ;)

TheMole.jpg

:P

Stop whinging, it's all down to risk. Ask bogbrush.

FWIW when I worked in credit scoring (all types of loan/financial) being a homeowner could increase your score by around 50 points.

Renters (as a sweeping broad brush collective) are more likely to default apparently.

Surely that's the quickest way to exclude pikeys travellers without breaching any sort human rights legislation.

That assumes that our caravan-dwelling friends would ever be interested in insuring their vehicles in the first place. Given that they tend not to worry about the legal niceties when it comes to choosing a spot to park them, I wouldn't have thought that many would be inclined to shell out for insurance.

That assumes that our caravan-dwelling friends would ever be interested in insuring their vehicles in the first place. Given that they tend not to worry about the legal niceties when it comes to choosing a spot to park them, I wouldn't have thought that many would be inclined to shell out for insurance.

Hard to claim without it though :huh:

That's the problem with statistics. They generalise. I must have paid so much as a bloke in my 20s driving a car. I never crashed it but I was statistically more likely to do so. I had a flatmate back then who was a freelance photographer. When Diana died he couldn't get insurance on his motorbike. :lol:

I also now have a camper van and am not a home-debtor, but have never had a problem getting insured.