House Price Crash Forum

I Suspect My E.a. Of Shenanigans

HOLA441

I would be interested to know if you get anywhere with the going direct to the bank route

And I'll be so surprised that I'll eat my house if he does.

Edit should have read further before replying.

Looks like I need to go to the supermarket for a gingerbread house (as I don't have a brick one):-)

tim

Edited by tim123

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Well done Exiges, impressive work. Out of interest how much was your offer over?

£1500

Any less and it's hardly worth them arising around drawing up contracts, and also helps being outbid by the current offer (two parties increasing bids at say £500 a time would get very tiresome)

HOLA443
HOLA444

Fab.

Can I nominate you for "HPCer of the week"?

:)

+1

blah blah blah

estate agents are typically poor overworked youngsters on £14,000 a year despised by all parties, not crooks.

blah blah blah

its why they sell it to someone that has done it before and doesnt mess them around, than people that walk in, complain on internet forums, and take advice from morons that say bid and then walk away. because they have seen that type 1000s of times and smell the stench on them. it is not crooked, it is business.

Can I nominate this poster for "Utter Knobend of the Decade..."?

HOLA445

There's a property for sale near me which looks like great value. It's a repossession and the EA has advertised it with the usual "we have received an offer of X, those wishing to offer more please contact us"

Oddly unlike other ads like this there's no deadline that competing offers should be put in by.

When I called the EA they told me "the offer we have may be accepted today or tomorrow, we don't know" and went on to say they were too busy to arrange a viewing today or tomorrow..

I smell a rat.

I've pulled up the Land Registry info and the mortgage is with Northern Rock.. should I contact Northern Rock directly ? If so, how, where ? I can't find any department that would be relevant.

Sounds like one of the ea's has placed the bid, that or someone they are friendly with that does brown envelopes for such bargains.

Only hope if you are interested is to find the vendor.

HOLA446
HOLA447

And I'll be so surprised that I'll eat my house if he does.

Edit should have read further before replying.

Looks like I need to go to the supermarket for a gingerbread house (as I don't have a brick one):-)

tim

:lol:

Maybe the banks have wised up to the EA's various scams.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Wonder what the response would be if we introduced this thread to the EAs on the EAT site?

Could be interesting.... Morecambe and Wise (or PeeBee and Jonnie, as they like to be known these days - sock-puppet bumchums in their seventies aren't really a la mode in hairgel land...) would be all over it like a rash, with their hubris and well 'ard, interweb forum "we'll 'ave you behind the bikesheds" bravery....

But it might be fun for a giggle. Do you want to do it as yer good self, or should someone else pop it over there for a laugh, and you can weigh in when the inevitable c**k-waving starts?! :D

HOLA4410

Financial gain for themselves or one of their own would be my bet.

+1. Relative or friend wanting to pick up a bargain, nudge nudge wink wink.

Few yrs ago I put in an offer for a property, only a little under asking.

Agent said OK, if you can exchange within 24 hours.

I said of course I bloody couldn't. He said, 'Oh, it's quite normal.'

Later found that the property had sold for way under my offer, by at least 20%, and this was in 06 when prices were still going barmy.

Property had belonged to someone in their lettings dept. - I'd guess that they'd let a son/daughter have it cheaply, or some other mate-wheeze to avoid CGT.

HOLA4411

Could be interesting.... Morecambe and Wise (or PeeBee and Jonnie, as they like to be known these days - sock-puppet bumchums in their seventies aren't really a la mode in hairgel land...) would be all over it like a rash, with their hubris and well 'ard, interweb forum "we'll 'ave you behind the bikesheds" bravery....

But it might be fun for a giggle. Do you want to do it as yer good self, or should someone else pop it over there for a laugh, and you can weigh in when the inevitable c**k-waving starts?! :D

I think I'll keep it in reserve for the next time they're refuting a report which says the public don't believe what EAs tell them...

HOLA4412

I paid for a property report from the Land Registry (online) I think it was £4

I could name and shame but I don't know if that would put the owners of this forum in hot water, if it helps they're an individually named company part of a large chain.

Had the viewing this afternoon (agent arrived half an hour late) the place is a complete bomb site (fireplace ripped out, gas condemned, kitchen full of dog faeces, properly noisome) but has lots of potential IMO, huge garden etc.

I don't know what the deal is with EA company and the property but my spidey sense has been tingling all day about it.. You just know when something doesn't seem right, and that's what's driven me bloody minded at getting a viewing and allowed to put an offer in, even if nothing comes of it.

St Trinity couldn't say much to me, and I respect their professionalism, but my feeling is that they're furious with the EA.

As for dealing direct, I did ask them but understandably they can't, but I do have a contact there who is going to be privy to all the information I'm given by the EA so I can't see be being screwed around now.

Under UK libel law your allowed to say anything you like so long as you have evidence that would stand up in court. Alternatively you can freely voice a personal dislike without danger of recourse, so you can for example say "my smith working for agents-r-us is a complete idiot".

HOLA4413

Under UK libel law your allowed to say anything you like so long as you have evidence that would stand up in court. Alternatively you can freely voice a personal dislike without danger of recourse, so you can for example say "my smith working for agents-r-us is a complete idiot".

Oh well, in that case it's Shipways of Rugby (Part of Sequence)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Oh well, in that case it's Shipways of Rugby (Part of Sequence)

Great work exiges! Well done! "Respec"!!!

It would be great if we could publicise this case, somehow. The more the better. If these housing bargains are being taken by estate agents, in effect defrauding the vendors (banks - and tax-payers?), and preventing FTBers from accessing affordable housing, I bet the public / the press would be interested.

BBC's Watchdog? Jeremy Vine? Send to some newspaper columnist?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Why does the Government owned Northern Rock have to market it through St Trinity who then instruct the EA local to the repo property?

It just another layer of pointless commision/consulting BS that comes out of the pot

Cause they are shit, inefficient, incompetent, incapable of running anything like the standard of business level others are judged by or have to perform to.

HOLA4419

Can I suggest your goal should be to get this in the daily mail. The mail LOVES hating estate agents - and its a nice prepackaged story. You might even get a couple of notes out of it. If you are really lucky, you might cause bigger waves.....

Anyone have a good contact at the mail / express / etc that they can send the OP?

HOLA4420

Can I suggest your goal should be to get this in the daily mail. The mail LOVES hating estate agents - and its a nice prepackaged story. You might even get a couple of notes out of it. If you are really lucky, you might cause bigger waves.....

Anyone have a good contact at the mail / express / etc that they can send the OP?

Lots of sites reckon they will get you paid cash

http://www.talktothepress.co.uk/ is one

HOLA4421

mortgage companies want it sold quick, and want the loan repaid. any excess goes to the defaulter so the client charges the agent with getting a quick sale, not to get the last x bit of pound from it. the agent is responding to what the client wants.

estate agents are typically poor overworked youngsters on £14,000 a year despised by all parties, not crooks.

when a house is for sale below full value the world wants it. you can sell it down the high street. "this house is £10,000 undervalue, everybody would be after it". teets walking off the street salivating because its cheap are not getting anyone excited.

all agents want is to sell the house to somebody that wont yank their chain and do odious behaviour like that stated above, and please their client. in recession times mortgage companies that actually want quick conclusions are priceless clients compared to homeowners desparate for best price.

its why they sell it to someone that has done it before and doesnt mess them around, than people that walk in, complain on internet forums, and take advice from morons that say bid and then walk away. because they have seen that type 1000s of times and smell the stench on them. it is not crooked, it is business.

You idiot.

If the EA acted honestly and did their job properly in the first place and allowed viewings which is actually what the vendor wanted it turns out, there would be no need for any underhand tactics. So basically you are talking total bull shit.

I assume you ARE a useless EA on £14,000 struggling to earn some commission because you can't sell your over priced houses. Still, chin up mate, it's spring I'm sure you'll sell something soon...

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Very good idea.

HOLA4424

Would it be an idea just to e mail this to a few papers to see if any would be interested and then take the best offer.

Then you could also possibly let their various professional bodies know to see if they wanted to keep this out of the media and what they had to offer. If they did attempt to cover this up then that would help with the papers.

Honest I don't hate EAs,,,,,,,,,,,,, that much.

Edited by Blod

HOLA4425

Watergate it aint!!

There is no story here and hence no money.

There would have been a scoop if the OP had put in a written offer that was ignored and then the sale went ahead. OP could have then checked Land Reg and see if there was any link between the EA + buyer then produce their evidence to any interested media (it is Rugby not Mayfair after all).

In the meantime OP would have missed the chance to buy a home for a price there are comfortable with in the area they would like to be.

The real criminals are IMO are Northern Rock and St Trinity. I fail to see why the NR repo dept feel the need to go through a 3rd party to market a repo not unless Adam Applegarth/ ex Labour MP / Political party donor / Bankster / the usual gang of robbers are involved with St Trinity and getting a nice rake off.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Daddy Bear Appeal - Come back to the site plse. Thanks Bergkamp