House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Giraffe Cat

24 Meg Broadband

Guest Charlie The Tramp
I'm on 512k with BT. I pay over £20 per month for it. *sobs uncontrollably*

£26.99 per month charged on the quarterly telephone bill.

:rolleyes:

That`s £80.87 gaining interest in my account until they take the money by direct debit 14 days later. <_<

Every little bit helps.

Well another free upgrade from BT on its way. :D

Got my 2.2meg upgrade from 576kps automatically.

So did we. Costs about £25 a month I think...? ( he pays it not me)

With 24Mb broadband, surely video-on-demand streamed over the internet becomes commercially viable? Come to that, is video-on-demand possible down a 2,2meg broadband link?

With 24Mb broadband, surely video-on-demand streamed over the internet becomes commercially viable? Come to that, is video-on-demand possible down a 2,2meg broadband link?

Yes, it's possible and should be viable. The bandwidth needed depends on the quality of the broadcast... SD on a 2meg connection is ok (Homechoice), but for HD streams you need between 5 and 10meg per channel. That means on a 24meg connection you can run 2 channels (one for watching, one for recording) and have enough left over for broadband internet and a couple of phone lines.

Oh, and 24meg uses ADSL2+ technology. The next step after that is VDSL, which is 52meg.

Bring it on... :ph34r:

Yes, it's possible and should be viable. The bandwidth needed depends on the quality of the broadcast... SD on a 2meg connection is ok (Homechoice), but for HD streams you need between 5 and 10meg per channel. That means on a 24meg connection you can run 2 channels (one for watching, one for recording) and have enough left over for broadband internet and a couple of phone lines.

Oh, and 24meg uses ADSL2+ technology. The next step after that is VDSL, which is 52meg.

Bring it on... :ph34r:

Nijo , You say 24 meg and 52 meg broadband. If you had that sort of speed,surely your computer would EXPLODE !! :lol::rolleyes: . Do you mean 2 point 4 meg and 5 point 2 meg ?? :unsure: . Even 5.2 meg is going to be super fast ! If there really is a 52 meg connection,how the hell much would that cost,per month ??

Nijo , You say 24 meg and 52 meg broadband. If you had that sort of speed,surely your computer would EXPLODE !! :lol::rolleyes: . Do you mean 2 point 4 meg and 5 point 2 meg ?? :unsure: . Even 5.2 meg is going to be super fast ! If there really is a 52 meg connection,how the hell much would that cost,per month ??

Hehe, it's still far slower than a LAN connection so you don't need to worry about your computer just yet.

VDSL2:

VSDL2 deteriorates quickly from a theoretical maximum of 250Mbps at 'source' to 100 Mbit/s at 0.5 km and 50 Mbit/s at 1 Km, but degrades at a much slower rate from there, and still outperforms VDSL. Starting from 1,6 Km its performanace is equal to Adsl2+.

I don't know about prices but I'd imagine £30/month is the top you'll pay for a simple internet connection, £20 for the average punter that doesn't need cutting edge. Extra services such as HDTV on demand will justify higher prices. New technology like this tends to wait in the wings until it reaches a price point that's viable for the mass market.

In reality I think the problem is going to be server side. There's no point being able to download at 5 meg/s if the server is only connected on a 2 meg line....