House Price Crash Forum
ken_ichikawa

Kaboom Us$ Is Beyond Toast

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-04-14/news/29417583_1_economies-food-security-local-currencies

Precis:

India

China

Brazil

South Africa

& Russia

Have all agreed NOT to use the US$ when trading with each other....

Kaboom!

Ken,

it doesnt mean a thing.

When these countries chose not to store their assets in dollars, ie they sell their US Treasuries, then the dollar has a big problem. Mind you, that is probably what the US needs right now, a weaker dollar will help its export industries.

I dont see China or any of these other countries dumping the dollar any time soon.

Ken,

it doesnt mean a thing.

When these countries chose not to store their assets in dollars, ie they sell their US Treasuries, then the dollar has a big problem. Mind you, that is probably what the US needs right now, a weaker dollar will help its export industries.

I dont see China or any of these other countries dumping the dollar any time soon.

It's a good start and who knows, could be the straw that breaks the camels back. What are the US going to do about it? These guys are not Libya or Iraq, they can't use their military to bring them to heel, if they tried it would be game over for all of us.

For there to really a big problem outright, then a dumping of US treasuries or Saudi suddenly announcing they're going off the petrodollar would do it. It would be interesting to see if the US would invade Saudi if that happened. That said, they're pretty much all over it already though, for that very reason I guess, as Iraq is no threat and Iran hasn't attacked anyone since the days of Persia, so the Saudi's don't need the US on their soil, they're just there to make sure the Saudi's don't get any funny ideas.

It's not about how you pay for it. It's about who controls it. Everything that is going on accross the globe i.e. wikileaks, europe involvement in war with Libya, it's just part of the USA foreign policy and according to this bloke it is all going to plan. Brainy bastards ;)

...at 3:10 Pt2 interesting bit about Japan, Africa and Europe. This is from 2009 folks.

Edited by LittleSteroid

There will be a shick to the syetm this Spring/Summer. Most are short $ but comm traders are long. $ will snap back up, probably 25%.

There will be a shick to the syetm this Spring/Summer. Most are short $ but comm traders are long. $ will snap back up, probably 25%.

Agree, US $ up 30%, so AUD $ down 30%, so £ up against the AUD $............ commodities down, just in time for my 3 week break in Oz around Oct 2011......

It's not about how you pay for it. It's about who controls it. Everything that is going on accross the globe i.e. wikileaks, europe involvement in war with Libya, it's just part of the USA foreign policy and according to this bloke it is all going to plan. Brainy bastards ;)

...at 3:10 Pt2 interesting bit about Japan, Africa and Europe. This is from 2009 folks.

I do hope that's true.

Another 100 years of US/British global dominance sounds just fine to me compared to the alternatives.

I clearly need to reassess my previously low opinion of Obama.

It's a good start and who knows, could be the straw that breaks the camels back. What are the US going to do about it? These guys are not Libya or Iraq, they can't use their military to bring them to heel, if they tried it would be game over for all of us.

For there to really a big problem outright, then a dumping of US treasuries or Saudi suddenly announcing they're going off the petrodollar would do it. It would be interesting to see if the US would invade Saudi if that happened. That said, they're pretty much all over it already though, for that very reason I guess, as Iraq is no threat and Iran hasn't attacked anyone since the days of Persia, so the Saudi's don't need the US on their soil, they're just there to make sure the Saudi's don't get any funny ideas.

The problem with dumpng US Treasuries is that you are going to get paid out a valuation in US fiat dollars ? As the dollar floats in the FX markets you are essentially putting a gun to your head and warning Washington that you are going to blow your own brains out to show them that they are no longer boss.

BRIC Countries agreeing to trade in currencies other than the dollar may be significant in the long term but it should be understood that not all international exchanges are dollar denominated.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-04-14/news/29417583_1_economies-food-security-local-currencies

Precis:

India

China

Brazil

South Africa

& Russia

Have all agreed NOT to use the US$ when trading with each other....

Kaboom!

I suspect the US is (was) their biggest customer. When the US stops buying those who export to that country suffer---big time.

I doubt the world will want a reserve currency denominated in Brazilians croats or Russian roulettes anytime soon. The thing that counts is a nation's GDP--that is the ultimate backing to its currency. Produce nothing a la Zimbabwe and your currecny follow suit. Is the US dollar worth anything? Check out the prices of German and Jap goods in the US--20% cheaper than in the UK and EU. Says a lot.

The destruction fo the US may be off to a "good start" but I think you would want to see a nuke holocaust to finish them off. Then we can be ruled by our new Asian masters with a little help from that nice Mr. Putin who has never liked the US anyway. Just think, if Hitler had won the war we wouldn't be facing the problem today. Oh well, you can't win them all. *

* :o:o:o

I suspect the US is (was) their biggest customer. When the US stops buying those who export to that country suffer---big time.

I doubt the world will want a reserve currency denominated in Brazilians croats or Russian roulettes anytime soon. The thing that counts is a nation's GDP--that is the ultimate backing to its currency. Produce nothing a la Zimbabwe and your currecny follow suit. Is the US dollar worth anything? Check out the prices of German and Jap goods in the US--20% cheaper than in the UK and EU. Says a lot.

and while every pound borrowed by governments adds a pound to their GDP...we are heading for a crash of monumental proportions.

and its getting worse every day

Sorry, but any video opening titles with the word "historican" doesn't exactly inspire me to be confident in it's grasp of truth...

Ahem...

a bunch of oligarchs using a printing press to steal wealth from the productive does not help export industries.

Ken,

it doesnt mean a thing.

http://mpettis.com/2011/04/chinese-recycling-and-us-interest-rates/

Hat tip to hotairmail for link

The idea that PBoC purchases of US government bonds is part of a discrete lending decision by Beijing, and that Washington must worry that one day Beijing might pull the plug on this lending, is almost utter nonsense. Chinese purchases of US assets are an automatic consequence of the trade balance between the two countries.

I do hope that's true.

Another 100 years of US/British global dominance sounds just fine to me compared to the alternatives.

I clearly need to reassess my previously low opinion of Obama.

Ha ha! You've got a high opinion of Britians position, the last 65 years have been about American dominance, and British collapse, Britian is now pretty much as weak as it has ever been in the whole of it's existance (1707-2011), and the centrifugal forces within Britain are so strong that it is quite likely that it may cease to exist in the coming decades.

If you had ever been to America, like I have, and talked in a perfect American accent like I can you would realise: They don't think about us. They don't understand us. They basically don't know where Britian is. They generally don't care if we live or die.

Edited by Della

Ahem...

It's a bit early to declare a change of trend wouldn't you say?

I'd wait until the end of next week if I was you.

Ha ha! You've got a high opinion of Britians position, the last 65 years have been about American dominance, and British collapse, Britian is now pretty much as weak as it has ever been in the whole of it's existance (1707-2011), and the centrifugal forces within Britain are so strong that it is quite likely that it may cease to exist in the coming decades.

America had tremendous dominance, but trust me, it is eroding. Britain potentially ceasing to exist as a political/cultural unit would be a shock to us relatively insular islanders after three centuries of hegemony, but trust me Polish, French, Spanish, and Germans, etc, have had their respective countries politically/militarily "cease to exist" or mutate heavily many more times over in a three century period.

If you had ever been to America, like I have, and talked in a perfect American accent like I can you would realise: They don't think about us. They don't understand us. They basically don't know where Britian is. They generally don't care if we live or die.

I don't really get that from a lot of online North Americans, but I can understand what you're saying about how insular and ignorant many Americans seem to be, becoming a popular perception of them.

America had tremendous dominance, but trust me, it is eroding. Britain potentially ceasing to exist as a political/cultural unit would be a shock to us relatively insular islanders after three centuries of hegemony, but trust me Polish, French, Spanish, and Germans, etc, have had their respective countries politically/militarily "cease to exist" or mutate heavily many more times over in a three century period.

Oh well, we'll be thrown to the sharks, or whatever, but America will be OK, you can be a fake American on the internet, and wave a miniture American flag, but people who actually live there won't care because you'll just be, as far as they are concerned, a nobody on some island somewhere.

I don't really get that from a lot of online North Americans, but I can understand what you're saying about how insular and ignorant many Americans seem to be, becoming a popular perception of them.

America is a big country where there are people with all sorts of pastimes and interests, posting on forums about various foreign countries, like Sweden, Narnia, Middle Earth or Britain. You get a different view of things when they are dealing with you as an outsider versus them thinking you are one of them.

Edited by Della

Not my words. The expression "US/British global dominance" was from the (American) bloke in the linked video to which i was replying.

I agree with much of what you say, but you're directing it at the wrong person

It's a bit early to declare a change of trend wouldn't you say?

I'd wait until the end of next week if I was you.

Agreed in so far as the 1% USD rise is just an indication of what is coming.

The 'ahem' was about the downgrade shock. Of course it was entirely expected but shocking nonetheless.

Agreed in so far as the 1% USD rise is just an indication of what is coming.

The 'ahem' was about the downgrade shock. Of course it was entirely expected but shocking nonetheless.

I don't know, dollar selling has been relentless of late.

I'd like to see sustained hysterical MSM shrills about the falling dollar to indicate a bottom, we haven't had this yet.