House Price Crash Forum

A Few Sw London Anecdotals

Met up with a friend this Saturday. He has been living with his now wife for over a year - they both own a property in Putney.

His has been on the market since they moved in together - well over a year ago. It is an enormous two bedroom Mansion flat - the living room alone the size of an entire newbuild. A bit far from any public transport - but lovely green area. Quite a desirable flat in my opinion - bar the lack of close public transport and the stairs - 4 flights up - lovely view though.

It has been empty ever since he moved out - no buyers so has decided to let it out. Apparently got new tennants paying £1350pm - before agents fees etc. His mortgage repayments are £1650 - probably repayment - I didn't ask. Thats a serious cash flow shortage each month - and he bought it almost 4!! years ago!? :o

Anyway - on the way home - early Saturday afternoon - walking past the plethora (minus one - Closed down recently) Estate agents - ALL EMPTY bar the odd man in a suit looking at his PC - including a large foxtons, I started feeling a little bit better. I had recently begun to have doubts - It seems I have been waiting forever.

Not much longer...

I know someone who bought a 2 bed flat in Putney about 3 years ago, paid £285k.

Spent £20k renovating the place, then ended up getting divorced.

Had to sell the place end of last year for £275k, very ugly.

That's £30k down...

If my missus was very ugly I'd want a divorce too.

My friend has had her property on the market for 13 months (North Yorks) now with only one viewing in that time.

The EA rang her at work today to book a viewing for tonight, and another for tomorrow. No recent change of price, still same EA's so any idea why the sudden interest??

My friend has had her property on the market for 13 months (North Yorks) now with only one viewing in that time.

The EA rang her at work today to book a viewing for tonight, and another for tomorrow. No recent change of price, still same EA's so any idea why the sudden interest??

Perhaps a couple of HPCers are organising a sting. First a shockingly low offer from one and then a slightly less shockingly low offer from the real interested party.

Dunno, if something's being on the market for so long it stands to reason it'll get some viewings some time.

NDL

Probably an opportunist investor knows it's been around a long time and will make a low offer in the chance it will be expected. The other viewer is his/her friend with an even lower offer to make the second one seem good.

I know someone who bought a 2 bed flat in Putney about 3 years ago, paid £285k.

Spent £20k renovating the place, then ended up getting divorced.

Had to sell the place end of last year for £275k, very ugly.

That's £30k down...

I've heard many many stories like this for over a year now. I know and know of scores of people who are trying to sell - and have been trying for a year - with no luck at all. Only those prepared to give 20 - 25% discounts -[or even more] have been, eventually, able to sell. Crash is already with us. VI's putting out message this is not the case -- but it IS here.