House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the coming storm

Is The Whole Fine Dining Experience A Scam?

I am sick of turning on the TV to be confronted by Masterchef, Gordon Ramsay, cooking programmes, food critics, chefs etc however skilled and talented they are at the end of the day they are only cooking and preparing food - and whilst there is an art of being a chef - it just gets too much listening to these michelin starred chefs who have massive egos, and completely out of proportion sense of their own importance.

Then you have restaurants charging crazy prices for a bottle of wine they have bought for a fiver. Programmes like masterchef where they sit and make minor judgements on dishes mostly based on there own opinions. The whole thing is one giant scam, and there having a laugh at us.

I am sick of turning on the TV to be confronted by Masterchef, Gordon Ramsay, cooking programmes, food critics, chefs etc however skilled and talented they are at the end of the day they are only cooking and preparing food - and whilst there is an art of being a chef - it just gets too much listening to these michelin starred chefs who have massive egos, and completely out of proportion sense of their own importance.

Then you have restaurants charging crazy prices for a bottle of wine they have bought for a fiver. Programmes like masterchef where they sit and make minor judgements on dishes mostly based on there own opinions. The whole thing is one giant scam, and there having a laugh at us.

...the new bubble is food........less of the property ramping that has deflated and is now somewhat out of fashion. ;)

You can make that arguement about most costly things though can't you? Exotic cars? A £4k second hand diesel will be just as reliable, more efficient and you can't speed in this country anymore anyway. Watching sports? Paying through the nose to watch pampered pre madonna "stars" choke under pressure. Sailing? Equivalent to standing in your clothes in a cold shower tearing up £5 notes...

You can make that arguement about most costly things though can't you? Exotic cars? A £4k second hand diesel will be just as reliable, more efficient and you can't speed in this country anymore anyway. Watching sports? Paying through the nose to watch pampered pre madonna "stars" choke under pressure. Sailing? Equivalent to standing in your clothes in a cold shower tearing up £5 notes...

Yes thats true, sailing people who have boats cost a fortune to maintain and buy, and only used a quarter of the year.

I just wonder is the fine dining experience about genuine love of food - or just something to boast about how much you spent at the weekend.

Yes thats true, sailing people who have boats cost a fortune to maintain and buy, and only used a quarter of the year.

I just wonder is the fine dining experience about genuine love of food - or just something to boast about how much you spent at the weekend.

I think for most people (who enjoy fine dining) it isn't about bragging but about the whole experience which includes the food, wine. service, atmosphere... You're not just paying for high quality food cooked very well but for everything else that comes with it. To someone who doesn't enjoy that sort of thing it's probably very difficult to understand, much as for many the attraction of sailing (for example) is difficult to understand.

There will definitely be some people who brag about 'dropping £500 at Claridges for Penelope and myself last night' but if they're paying just to say that to other like-minded pillocks then more fool them.

From what I've seen most TV chefs just add masses of salt and olive oil to food.

They are very similar to fast food companies that get slated for serving people high calorie, high salt food.

Olive oil:

1tsp (4.5 g)

Amount Per Serving

Calories

Calories from Fat

......is it just me, but I would never want to boast about over paying/spending on food however good it was...I would feel a right silly billy......would try not to put myself into the position where it could happen. ;)

I love sailing but agree with the sentiment about owning a boat.

Second happiest day of a mans life is when he buys a boat, happiest is when he sells it ;)

Second happiest day of a mans life is when he buys a boat, happiest is when he sells it ;)

Would rather a speedboat with an outboard any day....save money, share with a friend. ;)

Anything that gets the message across to people that seasonal fresh food cookery is a good thing IMHO.

<br />You can make that arguement about most costly things though can't you? Exotic cars? A £4k second hand diesel will be just as reliable, more efficient and you can't speed in this country anymore anyway. Watching sports? Paying through the nose to watch pampered pre madonna "stars" choke under pressure. Sailing? Equivalent to standing in your clothes in a cold shower tearing up £5 notes...<br />

Top Gear is a complete Elitist piss-take of you (the ordinary population) - it's just that you haven't realised it yet!

Note how they always destroy or blow-up the cars we poorer proles drive everday!

I was treated to this place a while back - http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/london/view/80677/Hakkasan

Brilliant experience. Wish I could get to London more often and indulge because memorable food like that really adds to your life.

Try this review of the Fat Duck - maybe I'm pretentious, but I love the ideas:

http://aroundbritainwithapaunch.blogspot.com/2008/03/never-eat-at-fat-duck-bray.html

Most of these programs are just escapism. People rapidly losing food knowledge and skills but, at the same time, they're watching tv chefs in awe (probably while chomping a microwave lasagne.) A lot of fine dining is a load of balls.

Take Come Dine With Me. This show is full of people who just want to cook what is generally considered fine dining. Dishes like Beef Wellington seem to get them all happy-clappy with excitement. Well, what's beef wellington: it's a strip of fillet (the easiest piece of beef to cook), wrapped in mostly packet pastry (oh, don't make your own puff - it's too hard. Total bunkum. Puff pastry is really very simple to make) and a load of fatty pate or mushroom paste. And how does it taste? Err, ok. Does it beat a homemade steak pie on taste, probably not. So why all the hype?

Something I've heard, as advice for keeping rich men rich.

If it floats, flies, or f**ks, rent it!

I think for most people (who enjoy fine dining) it isn't about bragging but about the whole experience which includes the food, wine. service, atmosphere... You're not just paying for high quality food cooked very well but for everything else that comes with it.

+1

OH hates poor service, and I hate paying good money for poor to mediocre food.

I prefer to pay more and eat out infrequently, than go out more often and be disappointed.

Tbh I think it is like Chinese love of Abalone, it is expensive yet not really that tasty. People eat it so they can say they can afford it.

I've eaten all over the world in many places..... nothing absolutely nothing has beaten two meals I've had. One was in Siberia in Irkutsk. At the Russian motorcycle club, the aubergene salad thing and Solyanka soup were simply devine... I've not tasted anything better.

Somewhere in Terej park we had these meaty things again not tasted anything better since....

Of course my judgement may have been impaired since I was ill through my trip puking and had the runs for a long time.

I'd agree that the cookery shows are pure escapism.

Re dining out - fine dining is where you find it - I have been to some fantastic cheap restaurants, and some dreadful expensive ones. It has to be said however, that the best thing I ever ate was when I was taken to a restaurant so expensive that it was like something from a hollywood movie - no indication that the restaurant existed beyond the nine foot walls round it's gardens, no prices on the menus, unobtrusive but constantly attentive service etc. I don't know what the cost of the meal was, but would not be surprised if it was more than I spent on eating out for the rest of the year. The food was astonishingly good.

Most of these programs are just escapism. People rapidly losing food knowledge and skills but, at the same time, they're watching tv chefs in awe (probably while chomping a microwave lasagne.) A lot of fine dining is a load of balls.

Take Come Dine With Me. This show is full of people who just want to cook what is generally considered fine dining.

I always wonder if those dishes are REALLY what they would serve at a dinner party.

Given that they invariably state "this is the first time I've ever made this" I'm guessing they are just desperate to do something fancy for the cameras.. and then usually failing miserably (much to the delight of the production team).

The guests are worse though.. if you haven't tried to make "roasted quail flambéed with cognac" you are immediately sneered at for serving pub food. Give me a decent fish/cottage pie any day. Taste is just as good and you actually get to spend time with your guests.. which is kinda the point of inviting your friends around for a meal in the first place!

Give me a decent fish/cottage pie any day. Taste is just as good and you actually get to spend time with your guests.. which is kinda the point of inviting your friends around for a meal in the first place!

Isn't that so true. Who the hell would invite friends round and then spend all night shut up in the kitchen? You see some on there who haven't even prepped their veg in advance. Pretentious idiots. Still, makes for good telly.

I always wonder if those dishes are REALLY what they would serve at a dinner party.

Given that they invariably state "this is the first time I've ever made this" I'm guessing they are just desperate to do something fancy for the cameras.. and then usually failing miserably (much to the delight of the production team).

The guests are worse though.. if you haven't tried to make "roasted quail flambéed with cognac" you are immediately sneered at for serving pub food. Give me a decent fish/cottage pie any day. Taste is just as good and you actually get to spend time with your guests.. which is kinda the point of inviting your friends around for a meal in the first place!

Come Dine with Me is not filmed with normal people doing normal food for their friends, it would be a pointless TV show otherwise. Just like BB never had normal people in it - it'd be dead boring.

FWIW women with 40 inch legs somehow reveal them easier after a fine dinner on a luxury yacht :lol::lol::(

It is a scam IMO

Nice to take a pretty girl out somewhere posh, flash some cash in the hope of deserts but the food just doesn't stand up to the hype.

I've stopped taking the OH out for meals as I can't stop moaning the whole time, breaking down the ingredients and nitpicking. Mrs Posh is happy with the arrangement as I can cook just as well by sight alone. Literally, cook with my eyes and the food I churn out tastes as good even if I say so myself (and the wife agrees).

Come Dine with Me is not filmed with normal people doing normal food for their friends, it would be a pointless TV show otherwise. Just like BB never had normal people in it - it'd be dead boring.

FWIW women with 40 inch legs somehow reveal them easier after a fine dinner on a luxury yacht :lol::lol::(

Or as the man said, you could just rent them for the night... ;)