House Price Crash Forum

Just been checking out Germany property (I've been learning the language and thinking about a move there) - wow, it is SO much more affordable than in RIP-OFF BRITAIN.... (e.g. lloks to be approx £30-60k Euros for 2-3 bed flats on average!!)

Edited by guitarman001

Yep - you can buy castles for the price of a 4-bedroom terraced house in South London:

http://www.immowelt.de/immobilien/kaufburgenschloesser.aspx

funny you should say about the castles a german friend of mine a few years ago commented using the phrase about and english mans homes is his Castles ,was basally referring to how everyone feel the need to have buy their own home .I feel this need also .It seems in Germany it not like this as much as the renters have so many rights and people are not obsessed with home ownership ,I suppose rents must be a lot cheaper .Germany is booming now but wages had been held down for along time over there .

The properties seem extremely cheap in Germany given the fact the pound is so low ,would be even cheaper if the pound was at normal levels .

German property is significantly below long term value.

Definately a good long term buy if you are thinking of moving over there.

Only German and Japanese property can be considered cheap in the world today. USA property is getting there but not quite yet.

Quick - get your offer in before they run out of houses.

They are expecting 100,000 in 4 years but w all know what happened here don't we?

With our high cost of housing they could be leaving us in droves.

As of May East-Europeans will be working in Germany without any restrictions, the German daily Die Welt writes.

It is expected that the immigrants coming to seek a job in Germany to be nearly 100,000, with half of them arriving from Poland.

The European Commission thinks the opening of the labor market on May 1 will considerably push immigration up.

“It is expected that after the opening of the German labor market about 100,000 people will arrive in the next four years,” said European Commissioner for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion László Andor.

On May 1 Germany lifts the restrictions on workers from eight Central European and South European countries, such as Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia.

As to Bulgaria and Romania, which joined the EU in 2007, all restrictions will be lifted in 2013.

http://www.focus-fen.net/?id=n247202

Quick - get your offer in before they run out of houses.

They are expecting 100,000 in 4 years but w all know what happened here don't we?

With our high cost of housing they could be leaving us in droves.

Maybe they can take some of our immigrants and relive the burden on housing at the same time .

Maybe they can take some of our immigrants and relive the burden on housing at the same time .

They have had a countdown clock like the Olympic one. "Months, days, hours, minutes before we can leave this **** hole and go to a proper country"

Just been checking out Germany property (I've been learning the language and thinking about a move there) - wow, it is SO much more affordable than in RIP-OFF BRITAIN.... (e.g. lloks to be approx £30-60k Euros for 2-3 bed flats on average!!)

C7DACBD6F8BD4EB78AF4D23A312CBAD3.jpg

199,000 EUR = 176,000 GBP ?! For a flat in it, or for the whole house??

Around here a 2 bedrom flat would cost you that!

http://www.immowelt.de/immobilien/immodetail.aspx?id=20796875

Germany is cheaper than the UK but it has it's hotspots too, try finding a cheap flat in Munich...

Location, location, location applies to Germany too.

Tired of Waiting that's a listed building and it's a former city hall building, so to use it for residential purposes it would need a costly conversion. Also it's in the middle of nowhere (ok you could commute to the Zuerich area, but it would be more than an hour each way).

Edited by wise_eagle

Casual racism. Nothing more, nothing less......

How on earth is this racism?

Seems to me you are bloated with self righteous, self justification and denial of the clearly obvious.

The trouble with the UK is that no-one is allowed to discuss immigration without some self appointed twerp chanting 'racism'

Casual racism. Nothing more, nothing less......

Maybe they have been busy and not had much opportunity to devote themselves to the old racism full time

BTW do not Germans have along history of renting appartments

Edited by stormymonday_2011

(...)

Tired of Waiting that's a listed building and it's a former city hall building, so to use it for residential purposes it would need a costly conversion. Also it's in the middle of nowhere (ok you could commute to the Zuerich area, but it would be more than an hour each way).

Thanks WE.

Still, 176k for 550 sq.m! That is really very very cheap! I am in the middle of nowhere here as well (West Sussex, near the south coast, over 1:30h commuting from London), and a 2 bedroom flat here would cost almost that.

And no, it is not "crowded" around here. Quite the opposite. And land is very very cheap. The problem here is planning blockage, by NIMBY b@stards.

No wonder Germany is so competitive. Workers there can earn much less than here, and still have a much better quality of life. (Please see my sig., below.)

Edited by Tired of Waiting

1. Yes, property is cheap here, but you can't then translate that into the UK paradigm of buying property cheap and making 300% profit in 5 years. The cheap property here will still be cheap in 5 years' time.

2. The costs of owning and running a large house are high (taxes, fuel etc). The price of buying one is low. There are several million people with large homes for sale. Nobody can sell.

3. Here, houses are like cars. A new one is expensive. Once it's had one owner it depreciates. There are lots of big old houses no-one wants.

4. Flats can be relatively expensive compared with large houses. Flats are more desirable especially in city centres.

5. Some areas like Bavaria do have UK prices (3x national average). Berlin however is cheap.

6.Mortgages are fixed for 15 years...currently about 4%

7. Rents are reasonable and supply is good. There is no real financial incentive to buy. I know lots of people who have bought and lost money. Renting is deemed to be safer and financially smarter.

I've considered buying here, but the bank manager of all people disuaded me, saying "don't do it unless you're going to keep the house for 15-20 years. If you don't you will lose money!"

It is just so different from UK, and us Brits, when we see the real estate prices here just can't translate them into our learned version reality.

1. Yes, property is cheap here, but you can't then translate that into the UK paradigm of buying property cheap and making 300% profit in 5 years. The cheap property here will still be cheap in 5 years' time. (...)

I would be totality fine with it. I just want security.

By the way, German tenancy system would be fine for that as well.

But here... we can't afford to buy, and we can be kicked out of this flat at 60 days notice. This makes this ... not a home.

The housing system in Britain is both unfair and stupid (please see my sig., below).

Thanks WE.

Still, 176k for 550 sq.m! That is really very very cheap! I am in the middle of nowhere here as well (West Sussex, near the south coast, over 1:30h commuting from London), and a 2 bedroom flat here would cost almost that.

And no, it is not "crowded" around here. Quite the opposite. And land is very very cheap. The problem here is planning blockage, by NIMBY b@stards.

No wonder Germany is so competitive. Workers there can earn much less than here, and still have a much better quality of life. (Please see my sig., below.)

You dont get it.

Germans have no history of trading houses or appartments. They rent. So NIMBY's rarely exist as so few have a financial stake in a single property.

The famous saying in Germany is that you 'Work. Work Build your little house and die' (i.e your first owner occupied property is likely to be the last one you buy).

http://www.german-way.com/house.html

The whole concept of a housing 'ladder' is a crazy British invention which we have tried to foist on Spain and elsewher with disasterous results.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

You dont get it.

Germans have no history of trading houses or appartments. They rent. So NIMBY's rarely exist as so few have a financial stake in a single property.

The famous saying in Germany is that you 'Work. Work Build your little house and die' (i.e your first owner occupied property is likely to be the last one you buy).

The whole concept of a housing 'ladder' is a crazy British invention which we have tried to foist on Spain and elsewher with disasterous results.

So how do you explain the Germans being big buyers in the Spanish market.To my knowledge 1 in 4 properties in Mallorca go to Germans

You dont get it.

I'd put it a little differently. The whole 'concept of a housing ladder' took hold more quickly in countries like Spain (and Ireland). I'm often a strong defender of Spain on these forums, but it has to be said there is a strong history/tradition of the "wheeler-dealer" type character thriving in Spanish society. The picaresque novel originated in Spain and is described as (from Wiikipedia, sorry) a popular sub-genre of prose fiction which is usually satirical and depicts, in realistic and often humorous detail, the adventures of a roguish hero of low social class who lives by his wits in a corrupt society. Any resemblance to the modern day estate agent is purely coincidental - obviously! ;)

Edited by Trampa501

As I understand Germany had a mega housing bubble and has just come out of a 20-5 year crash. 20 years ago prices in Germany were very high in comparison to the UK, and as previous poster says it all depends where you want to buy.... Wales is cheaper than London, and part of germany are cheaper than other parts, general rule of thumb you pay 2x->3x income if your buying in a place where there are jobs

1. Yes, property is cheap here, but you can't then translate that into the UK paradigm of buying property cheap and making 300% profit in 5 years. The cheap property here will still be cheap in 5 years' time.

2. The costs of owning and running a large house are high (taxes, fuel etc). The price of buying one is low. There are several million people with large homes for sale. Nobody can sell.

3. Here, houses are like cars. A new one is expensive. Once it's had one owner it depreciates. There are lots of big old houses no-one wants.

4. Flats can be relatively expensive compared with large houses. Flats are more desirable especially in city centres.

5. Some areas like Bavaria do have UK prices (3x national average). Berlin however is cheap.

6.Mortgages are fixed for 15 years...currently about 4%

7. Rents are reasonable and supply is good. There is no real financial incentive to buy. I know lots of people who have bought and lost money. Renting is deemed to be safer and financially smarter.

I've considered buying here, but the bank manager of all people disuaded me, saying "don't do it unless you're going to keep the house for 15-20 years. If you don't you will lose money!"

It is just so different from UK, and us Brits, when we see the real estate prices here just can't translate them into our learned version reality.

Isn't there a sliding tax scale on when you sell to deter people buying and selling quickly, as they know this is what can drive prices higher and want to avoid that? You have to keep the house 10 years to avoid the tax?

As I understand Germany had a mega housing bubble and has just come out of a 20-5 year crash. 20 years ago prices in Germany were very high in comparison to the UK, and as previous poster says it all depends where you want to buy....

I think you are confusing Japan with Germany. Germany had no mega housing bubble (not 20 years ago and not ever AFAIK), Japan had one end of the 80s.

I know the area well, having bought a flat in a city not far away - and my girl-friend's family have a vast farm-house only a few minutes away from the old town-hall in the picture.

It is a spectacularly beautiful area with hills and forests, clean air, very safe-almost no crime and only 40 minutes from Zürich airport.

However it is at about 600 m above sea-level and the winters are long, snowy and freezing cold.

If you buy then unless you have a good job here you need cash - but after that running costs are minimal - there is no council tax only a very low land-tax.

Food is rather cheaper than UK and you fill your car in Switzerland for 30% less than in Germany.

Yes, I spotted that one immediately as well, what a beauty. Interestingly it has its own former slaughterhouse and stables. If I had half a million euros.......

I would be totality fine with it. I just want security.

By the way, German tenancy system would be fine for that as well.

But here... we can't afford to buy, and we can be kicked out of this flat at 60 days notice. This makes this ... not a home.

The housing system in Britain is both unfair and stupid (please see my sig., below).

I think that is the key to the problem, always being at the mercy of some to$$er landlord potentially selling up/asking you to leave makes the tennancy laws here in the UK a joke.

If we had more European style laws for renters I dont think there would be such a desire to being home owners as the security would be provided.

As it is I can be asked to move at two months notice, can't smoke (offically, though given there is a stupid great ashtray on the invertory which I can't dispose of, 'as it is the LL's property' so it would be shame not to make use it once in a while....) or have pets in the property and have to put up with questionable choices of interior decoration.

I would be happy renting if the rules were changed to allow the tennant to live rather than just exist. Pets and children appear to be frowned upon in particular, presumably as it would damage the value of the LL's 'investement'.