House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeDavola

Buying Glasses Online

I've had the same pair of glasses for about 7 years and would like something a bit more fasionable - don't want to fork out a fortune for frames only to eventually come to the conclusion that I don't like them.

I've always thought glasses were hideously expensive for what they are, so was pleased to see several sites emerge over the last few years where you can buy them at a fraction of the price of the high street.

My question is - are they any good? Has anyone used any of these sites and has any reccomendations? Some of them are so cheap I could buy several different pairs and it would still cost less than a single pair my local optician.

I've had the same pair of glasses for about 7 years and would like something a bit more fasionable - don't want to fork out a fortune for frames only to eventually come to the conclusion that I don't like them.

I've always thought glasses were hideously expensive for what they are, so was pleased to see several sites emerge over the last few years where you can buy them at a fraction of the price of the high street.

My question is - are they any good? Has anyone used any of these sites and has any reccomendations? Some of them are so cheap I could buy several different pairs and it would still cost less than a single pair my local optician.

I have used glassesdirect twice, once for a reglaze and once for new frames. Due to Specsavers' dodgy measuring of my pupillary distance, and my more accurate measurement, I now have perfect specs and better vision. No complaints. Working up to try them now for my varifocal computer specs for work!

Give it a go - you've nothing to lose!:)

Any tips on getting an accurate PD measurement?

I did it using a ruler and a mirror - certainly got accurate results if the lenses are anything to go by.

two ways

1) Go in for a pair of glasses, let them measure you, memorise it and then change your mind

2) Ask someone to help you out when the opticians are obviously not busy at all.

Take a photo of yourself with a ruler on your nose, draw lines on the photo down from your pupils.

I've used goggles4u before who were very good, but have gone up in price recently, you can still find very cheap places like selectspecs. The biggest problem is getting the style right without trying them on, at least if they are cheap you can throw them if they don't turn out right. Glasses direct do send some to try on, but I found the quality a bit poor.

Of course at the brick and mortar optician you are also subsidising the cost of the eye test in the cost of the glasses (or in fact several eye tests per glasses sale given conversion rates). Over time as these online sites flourish, the fees for eye tests are going to have to rise to their breakeven level of something like £75 per test.

Got me thinking about my eyes. Ten years or so ago when I begun Phase 1 army recruit training they tested my eyes and said I needed glasses for an astigmatism of 2.25 in my left eye and issued me with a very embarrassing pair of specs that the staff sgt. made me wear on the parade ground (for the p1ss take) and also some lenses for my s10 respirator. Other than that I never wore glasses as my right eye is near perfect and has compensated for my weaky left.

Anyway, I just shut my right eye to remind me how blurred the left is and am astonished to find I can now see clearly with both eyes ??? I'm in my mid thirties so can I expect this improvement to go the otherway in time.

I'm in my mid thirties so can I expect this improvement to go the otherway in time.

Give it a few years and you will need reading glasses too! :huh:

I've never bought online, but as I've got quite bad astigmatism - however I've made Specsavers redo two pairs of glasses three times because it was slightly out, and I mean fractionally out. The sales people said I would get used to it, but I couldn't see a thing - I doubt that would be the case with anything online!

A belated thanks for the replies - as someone mentioned the main problem is getting an eye test so I know what prescription to order. I'm not sure if I can ring up my current optician who probably has my info on file and get the info from him - might be worth a shot I suppose. Probably better just to go to somewhere on the high street and pay for an eye test if need be.

Just rang my opticians to see if they could tell me my prescription. They refused to give me the details since it was 'out of date' (last eye test I had was in '08), but they said they would send the details to another optician....but not to me.

Just rang my opticians to see if they could tell me my prescription. They refused to give me the details since it was 'out of date' (last eye test I had was in '08), but they said they would send the details to another optician....but not to me.

You could use the data protection act, and send £10 for all info they have on you.

Or just go for an eye test would be easier. If you use computers at work, your employer should pay.

Start by buying a monocle!

If that's good, buy the other one and connect them together with a piece of wire! :blink:

Free eye tests are fairly common now - they give you the details on a card before you leave.

They'll also ask if you want a retinal scan for £10. Worth it for peace of mind.

If you want to use the test results for online buying ask the optician your pupillary distance, because for some reason that's not marked on the card. It's to make sure you get the right size frame and lenses - eye is supposed to be in the middle of the lens.

Online buying is out for me because my sight is too weak.

Free eye tests are fairly common now - they give you the details on a card before you leave.

They'll also ask if you want a retinal scan for £10. Worth it for peace of mind.

If you want to use the test results for online buying ask the optician your pupillary distance, because for some reason that's not marked on the card. It's to make sure you get the right size frame and lenses - eye is supposed to be in the middle of the lens.

Online buying is out for me because my sight is too weak.

I could use a bigger font! :huh: