House Price Crash Forum

Banksters Need 4 New Skyscrapers To House 11,000 More Drones

HOLA441

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-15/london-banks-will-add-11-000-need-four-more-shard-towers-bnp-survey-says.html

Banks and financial-services companies in London will add 11,000 employees in the next three years and will require the equivalent of four Shard skyscrapers to accommodate them, BNP Paribas (BNP) SA’s real estate unit said.
Banks will need 1.6 million square feet, with the City of London district and Mayfair areas most likely to benefit, according to the report. The 1,016-foot (310-meter) Shard will be Britain’s tallest building when completed.

Our overlords are building their castles into the sky as paper-shuffling with creative financial instruments becomes the new paradigm in wealth generation as it obsoletes all else.

HOLA442

It is more sensible to build in Canary Wharf - difficult to get to, private land so it has its own security force and you lose the will to lynch banksters after you have travelled the docklands light railway.

Everytime I read about BNP Paribas I assume someone is writing about the british nationalist party.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

It is more sensible to build in Canary Wharf - difficult to get to, private land so it has its own security force and you lose the will to lynch banksters after you have travelled the docklands light railway.

Everytime I read about BNP Paribas I assume someone is writing about the british nationalist party.

Not much room left on the wharf. Not unless they concrete over what remains of the docks there (which I don't think they will get away with). Also they are part way through the phrase of demolishing the original low rise "regeneration" buildings thrown up in the 1980's.

I suspect Wood Wharf is ripe for redevelopment, but as the "twin towers" project to the west of Wharf (near the pier) seems to have been mothballed indefinitely I am rather surprised at this report. In fact I think the Shard only just scraped through, the raise the finance stage.

Edited by Sir John Steed

HOLA446

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-15/london-banks-will-add-11-000-need-four-more-shard-towers-bnp-survey-says.html

Banks and financial-services companies in London will add 11,000 employees in the next three years and will require the equivalent of four Shard skyscrapers to accommodate them, BNP Paribas (BNP) SA’s real estate unit said.
Banks will need 1.6 million square feet, with the City of London district and Mayfair areas most likely to benefit, according to the report. The 1,016-foot (310-meter) Shard will be Britain’s tallest building when completed.

Our overlords are building their castles into the sky as paper-shuffling with creative financial instruments becomes the new paradigm in wealth generation as it obsoletes all else.

Good, they make easy targets. Let them build their monuments to greed.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Its an odd place, even seems to have its own microclimate. When theres a light breeze in the rest of the country, a force 9 gale seems to funnel between the buildings.

when the wind got a bit nippy watching people try to walk down the colonnade was quality viewing, even better if it was wet and they were carrying umbrellas, its a good place to be during the warm summers though, a bit like LLoyds

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Tall is good, when they are thrown from the top floor it means they build up more velocity for when they hit the ground.

We here at AALB pride ourselves at helping out those less fortunate, for a minimal donation of just 20K to 30k tax a year you too could Adopt A London Banker, whilst people oop North often have the benefit aqnd take for granted having a dealer living next door it can often take up to half an hour to have a decent line of Coke delivered in Esher. Adopt a London Banker today and for just 20K in tax we can cut that travel time in half, and for another 10K in interest we can make sure its Grade A and pollution free, please pick up your phone today and make a real difference.

AALB making a difference tomorrow , today

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

HOLA4411

We here at AALB pride ourselves at helping out those less fortunate, for a minimal donation of just 20K to 30k tax a year you too could Adopt A London Banker, whilst people oop North often have the benefit aqnd take for granted having a dealer living next door it can often take up to half an hour to have a decent line of Coke delivered in Esher. Adopt a London Banker today and for just 20K in tax we can cut that travel time in half, and for another 10K in interest we can make sure its Grade A and pollution free, please pick up your phone today and make a real difference.

AALB making a difference tomorrow , today

I'd rather subscribe to AACFLB.

Adopt A Cleaner For London Bankers

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Tall is good, when they are thrown from the top floor it means they build up more velocity for when they hit the ground.

True.. but terminal velocity is reached in around 500m.

Anything higher than that would be an extravagance ;)

Edited by libspero

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I see plenty of empty offices every day on my walk to work - it's been that way for a couple of years.

OK, a lot of these empty offices just have a few floors left to let, and wouldn't be suitable to house a whole bank, but I don't think there's a shortage of office space in the City.

Also, I remember going into Lehman's offices in 2006 and walking through an entire empty floor to get to the meeting room. I don't imagine the banks have expanded much since then, but I might be wrong.

HOLA4417

Me too, it's almost the worst company name you could come up with:

BNP - British National Party

PARiah

BarabBAS

HOLA4418

I see plenty of empty offices every day on my walk to work - it's been that way for a couple of years.

OK, a lot of these empty offices just have a few floors left to let, and wouldn't be suitable to house a whole bank, but I don't think there's a shortage of office space in the City.

Also, I remember going into Lehman's offices in 2006 and walking through an entire empty floor to get to the meeting room. I don't imagine the banks have expanded much since then, but I might be wrong.

You probably only need a floor or two to accomodate a bank anyway. Pretty much all the towers in Canary Wharf are sublet. For example City Group don't occupy anywhere near all the City Group tower, used to work on the 25th floor of that, and it was all sublet to smaller businesses. I think the economics of building towers is that most of the time they can be empty!

HOLA4419
Guest sillybear2

Yeah, that was their risk department.

HOLA4420

Me too, it's almost the worst company name you could come up with:

BNP - British National Party

PARiah

BarabBAS

I used to contract for them a while back (the bank, not the political party that is) and yeah never felt easy answering that question, "so where do you work then? In fact, I seem to remember most London based staff always referred to it as BNPP.