House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Nhs Bosses See Their Bonus Pot Double In 5 Years ... As Staff Face Cuts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1377418/NHS-bosses-bonuses-double-staff-face-cuts.html

NHS chiefs have seen their bonuses double in the last five years even though tens of thousands of frontline workers face the axe to save money.

Some officials at the Department of Health on six-figure salaries are receiving performance-related awards that exceed the average nurse’s wage

Last year 1,162 senior officials at the Department of Health shared £2.5million in bonuses, taking home an average of about £2,150.

One civil servant was paid £27,500 on top of their six-figure salary; the average nurse earns just over £26,000 a year.

The pot has more than doubled since 2004/5, when just £1.15million was handed out.

The bonuses are usually only given to the most senior staff on the highest salaries, and are typically awarded if the department believes it has met certain targets, such as keeping waiting times down, reducing superbug infections, or making efficiency savings.

Despite the strains being placed on the NHS, figures from April to October last year show that almost £1.8million has already been given out, meaning bonuses for 2010/11 are on target to be higher still.

What a great system who decides if the dept has hit it's targets? Do the all the troughers get to have a meeting to agree they've hit the targets and then get a bonus?

So all the top management get huge bonuses, whilst those at the bottom doing all the hard work get rewarded with nothing apart from fewer colleagues and more work? An excellent system.

Give the troughers more money.

Edited by interestrateripoff

casualty will be filled with people with forehead injuries..

brick walls are hard when hit by heads.

Public sector workers shouldn't get bonuses anyway. Bonuses are for organisations that make money - the public sector loses us all money every day.

The bonuses are usually only given to the most senior staff on the highest salaries, and are typically awarded if the department believes it has met certain targets, such as keeping waiting times down, reducing superbug infections, or making efficiency savings.

The more they sack the higher their bonus.

When health, council, bank and other FTSE bosses etc go to bed at night, they dream of needing only one employee on minimum wage to do all the work but maintain their profits so they can keep their huge pay, bonuses and pensions. House builders dream of having to build only one house a year at such a large profit margin it makes just as much as selling lots now.

Government policy is trying to help them achieve their dream.

Don't bother trying to be that last employee because whoever achieves that position will then see the minimum wage cut each year.

When health, council, bank and other FTSE bosses etc go to bed at night, they dream of needing only one employee on minimum wage to do all the work but maintain their profits so they can keep their huge pay, bonuses and pensions. House builders dream of having to build only one house a year at such a large profit margin it makes just as much as selling lots now.

Government policy is trying to help them achieve their dream.

Don't bother trying to be that last employee because whoever achieves that position will then see the minimum wage cut each year.

bit of a straw man there efficiency savings dont have to mean cutting staff, they can be done for instance by walking diagonally to your office rather than forward and then right

bit of a straw man there efficiency savings dont have to mean cutting staff, they can be done for instance by walking diagonally to your office rather than forward and then right

Doh!!! They have to sack the staff and get them out of the way so they can stick to that shorter diagonal path. Otherwise they would have to go a longer route around them. It's win win sacking staff.

Edited by Redhat Sly

I'd quite happily see Cameron/Andrew Lansley get a bonus if he sacked the lot of them.. <_<

Edited by libspero

Public sector workers shouldn't get bonuses anyway. Bonuses are for organisations that make money - the public sector loses us all money every day.

I don't know anything about the civil service scheme but I do know a a bit about another scheme which is often lambasted in the press. The 'bonus scheme for doctors'. This consists of much higher cash awards for very small numbers of consultants and a significant pay out for about 50%.

This 'bonus' scheme which is often criticised as being a bonus for life is nothing of the sort. We have an annual assessment at the doctors and dentists review body by a panel, all of whom a either ex hospital HR managers, ex hospital chief execs (both groups generally despise doctors as far as I can tell) and the odd academic. Every year (when we used to have pay increases) a proportion of the headline award is held back from doctors pay packets. There is then a competition to see who has exceeded the most in the job plans that they have had over the last two or three years. They are hotly competed for an only about a third of doctors will get an award. They are actually funded out of our salaries.

Now I realise that all public sector salaries come from tax receipts but as a motivation exercise and a tool to keep everyone in line it works usually very well. What's more a performance related pay system that only pays out to every 3rd person who has exceeded the requested performance is possibly quite good value. I'd like to see similar schemes introduced at banks whereby only every 3rd banker or board member gets their performance related pay each year.

What I'm much more worried by is the increasing spend by hospitals on management consultants and the on going management expansion for example in the appointment of £180k Chief operating officers because the current CEO hasn't got time to run the hospital. At a time when nurses jobs are being cut and we are being asked to reduce the spread of procedures that we provide it somehow seems a little dubious.

ATB.

Edited by uro_who

you are on form today.

Walking diagonally means walking a bit close to the tea trolley, and as hot water is involved, a course on tea trolley passing safely without going sick for a week, is required.

We need to remove what I'd term as capture by management, ie a group of essentially unproductve people taking control of the budget and operations, and then reducing service and performance whilst paying themselves more.

The strange thing is this happens in business as well as the public sector.

If you look at a lot of sales operations today, you'll see an excess of management and process jockies at the expense of feet on the street bringing in business.

Equally, in the NHS, loads of process jockies and fewer frontline staff.

Personally I blame the boomers, they want to maintain there sense of entitlement without doing any actual work.

+1.

Hate to bang on about it, but I chose engineering as it is enjoyable and I thought it paid well. I feel pretty skint now and these salaries just make me sick!! It's a complete racket... love the comment above about this being the fault of the Tories... oh no, it was Labour!! That would shove it right up the Labour lovies.

Love this comment, too:

'The word 'bonus' should be struck from the English language. Why the hell are these people getting extra money for working hard!!!! millions of ordinary people work hard every day of their lives and get no bonus, so why do these pigs get extras!'

Too right. Any bonus I get is virtually nil. What is this bonus bullsh!t...!?

I posted this link of Facecrap to see the response. This was one comment:

"We have a chap at my gym - great guy and all that - who is a senior manager at the local council. Head of department. I have no idea of his salary but he drives a brand new Porche with personalised plates and owns two houses in the area plus a villa in Spain. He's just buying another house here. By his own admission, he never works more than 25 hours a week - and Friday is "surfing the net day" so he actually puts in maybe 18 hours weekly. And all that comes out of my council tax."

We are the new surfs, and I wonder how much BTL has been supported by the upper echelons of public sector workers.

+1.

Hate to bang on about it, but I chose engineering as it is enjoyable and I thought it paid well. I feel pretty skint now and these salaries just make me sick!! It's a complete racket... love the comment above about this being the fault of the Tories... oh no, it was Labour!! That would shove it right up the Labour lovies.

All the top Westminster parties have morphed into one - the population bashing IP party. Digging at past wrong doing of bods on either side does not have to be 'pidgin holed' into particular supporter of X-party anymore They work and do as they are told by their hidden elite masters who pull their strings - not for the UK population Has Cameron wiped all those 1,500+ laws (Labour (their Elite masters) had ready to put in place) to put one over the population's freedom? (like he said he would pre-election)

I posted this link of Facecrap to see the response. This was one comment:

"We have a chap at my gym - great guy and all that - who is a senior manager at the local council. Head of department. I have no idea of his salary but he drives a brand new Porche with personalised plates and owns two houses in the area plus a villa in Spain. He's just buying another house here. By his own admission, he never works more than 25 hours a week - and Friday is "surfing the net day" so he actually puts in maybe 18 hours weekly. And all that comes out of my council tax."

We are the new surfs, and I wonder how much BTL has been supported by the upper echelons of public sector workers.

How much of Labour's NHS budget found it's way into BTL via massive GP salary increases? My GP has 3 houses.

"typical borrower is a GP with two or three buy-to-let properties, said that it was targeting high-earning landlords rather than first-time buyers because they were less likely to default."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/money/property_and_mortgages/article6993169.ece

Bonuses are for organisations that make money

Bounus's are a device to allow people with access to funnel more money into their pockets while preserving a thin gloss of moral respectability by claiming that this device somehow improves their performance.

What is interesting is the fact that this 'bonus' concept is not applied to people whose performance can mean the difference between life and death.

For example; Why are surgeons not on a bonus scheme that pays out each time they save a life in theatre? After all, saving a life is quite an important target to meet in their line of work.

Or why are the people who run our nuclear power stations not on a bonus scheme that pays out for an accident free year?

The truth is that when it comes to really critical performance we don't feel bonus incentives should be required- instead we rely on the personal integrity of the actors to get the job done right.

So the apparent need to offer bonus incentives to the managerial classes is in fact a tacit recognition that these people have abandoned personal ethics and integrity and therefore need to be bribed to perform the work they are employed to do.

So the real question is this; why do we have such unprincipled and morally bankrupt people in charge of our public and private organisations?

Surely anyone who demands a 'bonus' to do the job they are paid and employed to do automatically disqualifies themselves for such key positions in our society? What are they saying here 'pay me a bonus or I will fail to do my best work?'

Is that a threat?

Edited by wonderpup

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1377418/NHS-bosses-bonuses-double-staff-face-cuts.html

What a great system who decides if the dept has hit it's targets? Do the all the troughers get to have a meeting to agree they've hit the targets and then get a bonus?

So all the top management get huge bonuses, whilst those at the bottom doing all the hard work get rewarded with nothing apart from fewer colleagues and more work? An excellent system.

Give the troughers more money.

Jesus, the Mail had to sweat hard to make this look even remotely material. Average bonus of 2k, "some management" = one guy out of 1100 managing to get to a nurses salary.

There are bigger stories about the NHS around, they just don't fit with the Mail's agenda.

Bounus's are a device to allow people with access to funnel more money into their pockets while preserving a thin gloss of moral respectability by claiming that this device somehow improves their performance.

What is interesting is the fact that this 'bonus' concept is not applied to people whose performance can mean the difference between life and death.

For example; Why are surgeons not on a bonus scheme that pays out each time they save a life in theatre? After all, saving a life is quite an important target to meet in their line of work.

Or why are the people who run our nuclear power stations not on a bonus scheme that pays out for an accident free year?

The truth is that when it comes to really critical performance we don't feel bonus incentives should be required- instead we rely on the personal integrity of the actors to get the job done right.

So the apparent need to offer bonus incentives to the managerial classes is in fact a tacit recognition that these people have abandoned personal ethics and integrity and therefore need to be bribed to perform the work they are employed to do.

So the real question is this; why do we have such unprincipled and morally bankrupt people in charge of our public and private organisations?

Surely anyone who demands a 'bonus' to do the job they are paid and employed to do automatically disqualifies themselves for such key positions in our society? What are they saying here 'pay me a bonus or I will fail to do my best work?'

Is that a threat?

Interesting nonsense with some fantastic logical leaps applied with an excitingly broad brush.

If you actually have a real interest in what motivates people, at least have a think about how different jobs provide different motivations to different degrees for different people.

At the very least read up on the two factor theory.

All the top Westminster parties have morphed into one - the population bashing IP party. Digging at past wrong doing of bods on either side does not have to be 'pidgin holed' into particular supporter of X-party anymore They work and do as they are told by their hidden elite masters who pull their strings - not for the UK population Has Cameron wiped all those 1,500+ laws (Labour (their Elite masters) had ready to put in place) to put one over the population's freedom? (like he said he would pre-election)

You're talking about the 'Great Repeal Act' that they were proposing when they came to power.

IIRC there was a sort of informal public consultation where they invited everyone to send in their two ha'pworth on the backs of fag packets and envelopes.

Hmmm... that has gone rather quiet recently.

Is that a threat?

EXCELLENT post!!

(Good link, aussieboy)

Edited by guitarman001

Interesting nonsense with some fantastic logical leaps applied with an excitingly broad brush.

If you actually have a real interest in what motivates people, at least have a think about how different jobs provide different motivations to different degrees for different people.

I assume that yours is a particularly personal greivance with wonderpup's post, because it seemed like a pretty simple question to me - why do some people require a bonus to give the best in their job while others don't? So you may not agree with the answer, but what would your thoughts , given the research you've alluded to?

Stuff

Pretty simple - people like yourself have cried like babies for more regulation, which means more danger for executives. Therefore they need paying more to take the risk on.

The modern executive is basically an expert on dealing with the state and avoiding going to jail/losing the whole business for minor infractions of some arbitary and continually changing code.

There is also the fact that they are the ones who get to allocate rewards, and everyone who gets to allocate rewards wants to keep them for themselves. All that's needed after that is some excuse for retention.

My first point creates the market demand, however and is why this behaviour is relatively modern.

Well according to this theory pay is not a motivating factor- which confirms my point. We don't offer nuclear power workers bonus's for not causing accidents because we recognise that these people are not motivated in that way- they operate on a more principled level and derive their job satisfaction from taking pride in their work.

It's only the managerial classes that seem to suffer from an 'integrity deficit' which needs to be offset by large cash bribes based on performance.

If lack of job satisfaction were to be seriously correlated to pay and bonus's then sewer workers would be the big earners in our society, while those who sit in air conditioned offices holding meetings would be paid a lot less than they are now.

The metric that determines pay and bonus's is not that of job satisfaction, it is that of power: those who can get away with paying themselves huge sums will do so- all the half baked claims about 'motivation' are simply a moral figleaf designed to provide a gloss of respectability over what is nothing more than opportunistic looting.