House Price Crash Forum

No Claims Bonus Limited To Five Years?

Darkman

HOLA441

Due to a complete f*** up by my insurance company (telling me my insurance was cancelled when it actually wasn't!) I immediately took my custom elsewhere. Of course I required proof of no claims bonus. I haven't claimed in approx 14 years.

However I'm told I only get 5 years NCB, because "that's as far back as it goes". Well, what's that all about?

I have a previous NCB in writing for the prior years. Hopefully I can put the two together to make up the total. Whether my new insurer will recognise this I have no idea yet.

Incidentally, the insurer who sent me the erroneous cancellation letter are charging me £150 penalty for cancelling & going elsewhere haha, and refused the NCB letter until I paid up. Needless to say they've got a complaint heading their way. I want that money back dammit.

Isn't it amazing what companies think they can get away with? It's theft :angry:

HOLA442
HOLA443

I just don't understand how they can write off years of NCB?

Yes, rip-off Britain. It's an old term, but truer today than ever before IMO.

I noticed a drinks machine in the mall recently. It stated "overpayment is possible, but no change will be given" :lol: As we all know, these machines are more than capable of giving correct change. Again, it's just f***ing theft.

Also, fines for parking on a double yellow have just gone up in London apparently. Well that was predictable....

HOLA444

I renewed recently. +27% increase for the renewal, told them to... but shopping around was a shocker. A total rip-off and noticed the shortened NCB periods being offered.

I did get a 'good' renewal deal, but the trend is upwards.

HOLA445

I have 10+ years no claims (last accident in 1983 actually) and noticed on my renewal this year that it said I only had 10 years NCD. When I questioned this I was told 10 years is as much NCD as you can get.

The flocking tunts.

HOLA446

I have 10+ years no claims (last accident in 1983 actually) and noticed on my renewal this year that it said I only had 10 years NCD. When I questioned this I was told 10 years is as much NCD as you can get.

The flocking tunts.

You can be my chauffeur! ;)

I know you are a "bit of a musician" Mr Spot! Don't ever say that to the insurance company! :o

HOLA447
HOLA448
However I'm told I only get 5 years NCB, because "that's as far back as it goes". Well, what's that all about?

Its all about statistics. Someone that has not crashed in 5 years is a better risk than someone that has. However this does not mean that someone that has not crashed in the last 10 years is an even better risk. It is quite possible that both groups have the same crash risk.

HOLA449

My own insurer has hiked up rates by 8%, everyone else I went through (comparison sites & direct line) wanted 30% plus! :o

So the Aviva deal for me this year, again. <_<

Me too. I was shocked by my premium on renewal (no accidents in 14 years - in fact forever as i've only been driving for 14 years). Went on all the compairson sites and the cheapest was 30% over my renewal quote. I could see my search history on one of the comparison sites and only 3 years ago my insurance cost £87 now it's about double. I know £87 or even the £160 might seem cheap but i drive 3k miles a year SD&P, have a 12 year old Corsa, don't live in high risk area and a clean record. Hubby second driver also clean record for roughly same length of time. My insurance is Diamond which includes free legal cover which all the other companies wanted on top of their quotes.

HOLA4410

My feeling is that the reason that most places only allow 5 years NCB (or have discounts above 5 years that are negligible) is that after five years you are not obliged to tell your insurance about any incidents anyway, as I understand it. So if you crashed six years ago you don't have to tell them. This somewhat (although by no means completely) implies that they can't find out (maybe they're not allow to keep records on people beyond 5 years), which means that giving more than 5 years NCB is a bit pointless for them as they have no way to verify.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

....I have the max NCB but every year the premiums increase....because some pay the extra NCB protector cover, therefore many many more now have the max protection....years ago this helped reduce premium costs, now it goes up whatever you have got......I would say there are less genuine accidents nowadays, but far more personal injury claims for minor bumps even when the car is not damaged badly.....we are all having to pay the price for these types of encouraged and exaggerated claims that were not so common in the past... now the blame culture is rife, a big money making industry, for all concerned. ;)

HOLA4413

The flocking tunts.

I suppose they can behave however they want, within reason.

Seeing as the requirement to hold insurance is a legal one, I think the state should provide a basic no frills insurance package to allow people to legally drive, but with none of the breakdown cover, radio theft stuff.

I think most people would elect for this, particular at times such as now, but this wouldn't please the governments paymasters now would it.

HOLA4414

Seeing as the requirement to hold insurance is a legal one, I think the state should provide a basic no frills insurance package to allow people to legally drive, but with none of the breakdown cover, radio theft stuff.

You can : Road Traffic Act cover. Gives cover for third party liability risks incurred on public roads.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I moved address last year (same village, just down the road) and notified the insurers. The only difference (other than address) was that my car was going to be kept in a garage overnight instead of on the driveway.

You'd think the premium would reduce because of this (less chance of theft) but it actually went up !

When I asked why, they said that statistically, people who garage their cars overnight are more likely to claim on insurance.

Thieving *****.

HOLA4418

Yes. For this precise reason, I always try to change my cars in the week or two before a policy renewal.

About 6 years ago I changed my car and got a promotional insurance deal through the dealership so I wasn't going to continue to use my old insurers .

I phoned up the insurance company the day before my "old" insurance was due to run out on the old car to tell them I had just changed cars and would not be renewing with them.

Woman on phone gets very snotty demanding why I didn't phone them for a quote on the new car and then tells me I can't have insurance for a car I no longer own (as i'd part exchanged it the day before) and therefore she was going to cancel my insurance and i'd lose that years no claims.

So I said "crank call" and hung up. :D

I'd already got their renewal documents through with proof of no claims.

Flocking tunts, trying to stiff me a years no claims for the sake of 2 days.

It was Budget and I haven't used 'em since.

Also, it's worth checking the small print for admin fees if you think you might want to change vehicle mid policy.

I went through a year where I was regularly chopping and changing motorbikes and Bennets made a small fortune from with me with their admin charges. Gits!

Now with ebike whose admin charges are about a third that of Bennetts.

HOLA4419

I moved address last year (same village, just down the road) and notified the insurers. The only difference (other than address) was that my car was going to be kept in a garage overnight instead of on the driveway.

You'd think the premium would reduce because of this (less chance of theft) but it actually went up !

When I asked why, they said that statistically, people who garage their cars overnight are more likely to claim on insurance.

Thieving *****.

I've never heard that one before! :angry:

I moved to a "lower risk" post code and my savings were outweighed by the " :blink: admin charges"! :blink:

Archived