House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Ryan Air?

Is Ryan air as bad as people say? Note I am one of those people who fall asleep instantly the moment I get onboard thus never need to use the toilet buy any kind of sustinence but will be carrying 15kilos luggage checked into the hold.

In that they are the ONLY airline which flies to the obscure location I want to be flying to direct. 3 Hour flight. Other airlines fly indirect with 15 hour waiting transit times in obscure locations too.

Else it is flying to an airport 112 or 130 miles away hiring a car which costs £250.

I don't fancy the outside alternative, i.e. riding down on the motorbike which I've estimated as £170 in petrol each way (1500 miles) + £13 ferry. But I save on the car rental costs.

A train ticket costs about £1000.

your thoughts?

Thanks

Is Ryan air as bad as people say? Note I am one of those people who fall asleep instantly the moment I get onboard thus never need to use the toilet buy any kind of sustinence but will be carrying 15kilos luggage checked into the hold.

In that they are the ONLY airline which flies to the obscure location I want to be flying to direct. 3 Hour flight. Other airlines fly indirect with 15 hour waiting transit times in obscure locations too.

Else it is flying to an airport 112 or 130 miles away hiring a car which costs £250.

I don't fancy the outside alternative, i.e. riding down on the motorbike which I've estimated as £170 in petrol each way (1500 miles) + £13 ferry. But I save on the car rental costs.

your thoughts?

Thanks

Fly if necessary with Ryan Air. Remember Customer service=0. Hidden charges plentiful.

You, on your own, with bugger all luggage - fine. It is a grubby experience, but as long as you read the rules beforehand, it is a cheap way to fly. You will get ass-raped if you get it wrong in any way.

With a family, forget it, BA ends up cheaper.

Put those gas bottles in the hold Ken, along with your welding equipment! ;)

Flew with Ryanair for the first time last weekend. No problems and on a 50 minute flight was able to avoid buying anything on board. If you get a good price and treat it like a bus trip you should be fine although a longer flight could get a bit tedious with all the pitches for scratch cards etc.

I use them a lot.

Very egalitarian and treat everyone the same - like shit.

I use them a lot, too. If you think of them more like your local bus service, the treatment seems all too normal, especially if you live in Scotland.:unsure:

Take your own sandwiches, carry your bag on board [no extortion to put it in the hold] and bear in mind that due to their fast turnaround, they are usually on time.:)

your thoughts?

Thanks

Luck of the draw, IMO - if it's on time, not cancelled and they don't muck you about, Ryan Air is fine.

Few yrs ago 4 of us flew London - Cork for a wedding - £160 return for the four of us.

Cost saving obvious in that seats had plasticky (wipe clean) covers, no seat-back pockets to clear of rubbish, and didn't recline (so no reclining mechanism to break) but that's OK for a short, cheap flight.

Everything on time, no problem, but we were aware that we were probably lucky.

Edit: only prob. was in Cork, where despite my phoning the hotel that same morning to remind them that we wouldn't be arriving till after 10 pm, they'd given our rooms away. :P

Kurgan, why pay for priority boarding at all?

Why bother to get a cheap ticket and then pay extra charges?

Most of Ryanair's flights are less than 2 hours.

Apart from those with special needs...kids, disabled or tall who worries about where they sit.

Flew with Ryanair for the first time last weekend. No problems and on a 50 minute flight was able to avoid buying anything on board. If you get a good price and treat it like a bus trip you should be fine although a longer flight could get a bit tedious with all the pitches for scratch cards etc.

Fair enough....given the choice, Easy Jet every time....no contest. ;)

If you actually want to be near one of the airports they fly to, it may well make sense. The thing to bear in mind with Tripadvisor, airlinequality.com etc. etc., is that people who have had bad experiences are motivated to write rant pieces about them to get them off their chests, but those who have had good or indifferent experiences won't bother; so these sites are likely to give you an unrepresentative view.

Lo-co airlines that use the Ryanair model probably don't make sense if you're trying to get to the centre of a major city and need to take a significant amount of luggage. The plane ticket may be cheap, but getting to and from the airports won't be, there'll be the hidden extras and the whole process will take a long time. However, if you can travel light, at a low-peak time and your origin or destination is in the vicinity of one of their airports, it can make sense.

The last time I flew Ryanair was en route to a conference in Trier in 2002. Four of us were going (starting from Yorkshire), and Ryanair were offering tickets from Stansted for a fiver to their euphemistically named 'Frankfurt-Hahn' airport, a former Luftwaffe bomber base in the middle of the Mosel countryside. It is 90 miles from Frankfurt, but only 20 or so from Trier. For four of us, a one-way hire car to and from Stansted (picked up from and dropped off at York station) and the bus from Hahn to Trier worked out an order of magnitude cheaper than us all making our own way to a Yorkshire airport and then a legacy airline flight to Luxembourg, which was the alternative. The flights were more or less on time, and everything worked as we'd planned. If I were going back there, I'd have no hesitation in flying Ryanair again. But if I needed to be in Frankfurt itself and was travelling alone, I'd drive to Teesside and fly KLM. The flight would cost a lot more, but the saving in getting to and from airports and in time would more than offset it.

RAF fighter jets are being scrambled on a regular basis as part of a Ryanair scheme to make passengers pay a £10 surcharge for not being killed.

Daily mash

Have correct photographic ID (Passport, not your library card)

Check-in ONLINE

Measure AND weight you hand/hold luggage, make sure it ain't too big

Get there on time

You shouldn't have any problems

I try and book a few weeks before unless its peak, as they always have sales on

If your airport is anything like Liverpool, you won't know the gate number until exactly 30mins before departure.

Watch the screen like a hawk, when that gate number comes up RUN!! .. if you want a good seat :rolleyes:

Have correct photographic ID (Passport, not your library card)

Check-in ONLINE

Measure AND weight you hand/hold luggage, make sure it ain't too big

Get there on time

You shouldn't have any problems

I try and book a few weeks before unless its peak, as they always have sales on

If your airport is anything like Liverpool, you won't know the gate number until exactly 30mins before departure.

Watch the screen like a hawk, when that gate number comes up RUN!! .. if you want a good seat :rolleyes:

What is a good seat? ;)

Yup - they are the short hauled version of Qatar Airways.

Cant fault Qatar, great food/drink, fit as cabin crew, top 100 Q albums in the entertainment gizmo in the seat. The toilets in Doha Int are filthy though...... :)

Flew with Ryan Air once, was a thoroughly unpleasant experience, I doubt I'll be doing it again, maybe if I was saving £200 I'd consider it but more likely I'd just choose a different destination.

Cant fault Qatar, great food/drink, fit as cabin crew, top 100 Q albums in the entertainment gizmo in the seat. The toilets in Doha Int are filthy though...... :)

The Toilets next to the Mosque? :lol:

Dammam - Doha is pretty horrible. The way they herd you at Doha is somewhat like the queue for the showers at Treblinka. However they are cheap, with relatively short transfer delays when flying from the Middle east to Europe.

I've only flown Qatar once, but agree entirely with the above. Planes and food OK and everything reasonably punctual, but DOH is a hole. The seats in the waiting area carefully designed so as to make it impossible to sleep on them being another grouse, not to mention the half-hour bus journeys between the terminal and the plane.