House Price Crash Forum
Ash4781

Rail Pay Offer Rejected

I see today union rejected tube and other staff 4% in first year and then rpi plus 0.25% . I am in the deflation camp but this sort of thing will really worry the mpc.

I see today union rejected tube and other staff 4% in first year and then rpi plus 0.25% . I am in the deflation camp but this sort of thing will really worry the mpc.

They will say they are concerned, but keeping vigilant, but ultimately the MPC will do nothing useful until official (i.e. fudged) CPI inflation figures hit around 6% and once the VAT increase has worked its way through the figures, i.e. by next January. They may do a couple of token 0.25% rises in the meantime, but these will be largely symbolic and have no useful effect.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and I'm a natural pessimist (I want fast steep rate rises).

Edited by WageslaveX14

rejecting 4%? lucky bar stewards

I think that they should go back with 3% and RPI + 0%... Give the Unions something to chew over... They won't of course, but you have to wonder at what point public anger will grow over "they're complaining about 4% - I'll do the job for less than that..."

Cant blame anyone for wanting and RPI size raise. We shouldnt turn on each other for wanting our wages to keep up with inflation. Dont blame the unions for the BoE letting inflation run away with its self. If there are some big public pay rises (linked to inflation) you/we will find it much easier to get the same sort of rise (although if you can you should try to get an inflation linked raise into your contract)

Cant blame anyone for wanting and RPI size raise. We shouldnt turn on each other for wanting our wages to keep up with inflation. Dont blame the unions for the BoE letting inflation run away with its self. If there are some big public pay rises (linked to inflation) you/we will find it much easier to get the same sort of rise (although if you can you should try to get an inflation linked raise into your contract)

I see where you're coming from - but I see this as an example of public taxpayer money being wasted. There are many people who would happily do the job for less than they are currently being paid - so any rise is in that sense a waste of our money.

I see where you're coming from - but I see this as an example of public taxpayer money being wasted. There are many people who would happily do the job for less than they are currently being paid - so any rise is in that sense a waste of our money.

I'm much, much more concerned about public sector unions striking over workplace rules (i.e. trying to maintain over-staffing) than I am by them striking over pay. Paying people to sit around and do nothing is a waste of our money, but is paying people a decent wage for honest effort a waste too?

i dont believe that should be the case though.

if you dont like the pay of your job - quit.

if you dont like the terms, if you dont like the people, if you dont like the hours - quit.

you dont have to be there, and your job doesnt owe you anything.

if good people keep quitting they will naturally be forced to improve pay and condiftions etc..

companies know who the good workers are and if they quit because they dont feel they a being paid enough , the company will tend to do something about it to keep them happy and keep them there.

businesses bend over backwards to find and keep good quality workers - thats what keeps the checks and balances in place.

the problem with unions is that they lump in the incompetant workers with the good workers too.

if all the good workers formed into a group demanding better pay i gaurantee the company would be happy to pay this group of people a pay rise

Edited by mfp123

i dont believe that should be the case though.

if you dont like the pay of your job - quit.

if you dont like the terms, if you dont like the people, if you dont like the hours - quit.

you dont have to be there, and your job doesnt owe you anything.

if good people keep quitting they will naturally be forced to improve pay and condiftions etc..

companies know who the good workers are and if they quit because they dont feel they a being paid enough , the company will tend to do something about it to keep them happy and keep them there.

businesses bend over backwards to find and keep good quality workers - thats what keeps the checks and balances in place.

the problem with unions is that they lump in the incompetant workers with the good workers too.

if all the good workers formed into a group demanding better pay i gaurantee the company would be happy to pay this group of people a pay rise

+1

I did just that in October, and January :P

Considering the train fares have been put up by more than that. Good on them, Spread the pie/cake (whatever your preference is)

its supposed to reduce the government subsidies.

There are many people that would do many jobs for less than the people currently doing those jobs , but if we price all jobs at the lowest bidder gets the job and the wage the whole economy would implode as everyone would be working for peanuts. Everyone trys to get the most pay for what they do why should the Rail workers be any different.

One of the mnagament should jsut say 'sod this, we have decided to close the business'.

Start the ball rolling and see what happens.

If it reaches that stage then everyone has failed. It's far, far better all around if some satisfactory to all agreement can be made before that stage is reached. A satisfactory, sensible agreement can never be made if either unions or management have too much power (and this one sounds like the unions are taking the piss, being offered a better rise than most people will be getting on an already decently paid job).

One of the mnagament should jsut say 'sod this, we have decided to close the business'.

Start the ball rolling and see what happens.

.....agreed ...the business model is a mess...flying is often cheaper one way to London from Manchester ..... :rolleyes:

.....agreed ...the business model is a mess...flying is often cheaper one way to London from Manchester ..... :rolleyes:

Or you can car ride share for about £20 or megabus it down for a couple of quid as well.

I think that they should go back with 3% and RPI + 0%... Give the Unions something to chew over... They won't of course, but you have to wonder at what point public anger will grow over "they're complaining about 4% - I'll do the job for less than that..."

This is public anger :rolleyes:

And you are going to see a lot more of it.

Rail workers are part of a huge number of members of "the public" who are getting angry enough to fight back.

Yeah, and I would probably be happy to do your job for less than you get but that doesn't mean that A/ you deserve no raise or B/ that I should be given your job or C/ that I would be as good at it as you probably are.

I remember in the 1960s a booking clerk at a local station having to deal with annoyed commuter passengers who had seen their weekly season ticket rise by half a crown for a journey of 15 miles to London. His reply, well you can always walk and save the half a crown as well as the old fare. That always ended the complaint and they duly paid the extra. Classic. :D

I remember in the 1960s a booking clerk at a local station having to deal with annoyed commuter passengers who had seen their weekly season ticket rise by half a crown for a journey of 15 miles to London. His reply, well you can always walk and save the half a crown as well as the old fare. That always ended the complaint and they duly paid the extra. Classic. :D

Whats that in real money? (Vs how much you earned a week as well)

lol

This must have also happened in the 60's as well as I was very young at the time. My Mum had taken us up to town on the underground and on the way back the guy working at the ticket barrier had a chat with us. On the way home I stated that when I grew up I wanted to work for London Underground. She explained that it was a dead end job and that if I got on at school I could aim higher .

Fast forward 40+ years . I wish she had not said that and had encouraged me to work on the underground as their salary and benefits package is very good. Good luck to them they are one of the few apart from the nobs in banks and a few others at the top who can demand and get a good pay rise . Just wish I was one of them now.