House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

World Bank: Food Prices Have Entered The 'danger Zone'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8451684/World-Bank-Food-prices-have-entered-the-danger-zone.html

Food prices have entered the “danger zone”, threatening to condemn a generation to extreme poverty and malnutrition, the World Bank has warned.

Robert Zoellick, World Bank president, said food prices are at “a tipping point”, having risen 36pc in the last year to levels close to their 2008 peak. The rising cost of food has been much more dramatic in low-income countries, pushing 44m people into poverty since June last year.

Another 10pc rise in food prices would push 10m into extreme poverty, defined as an effective income of less than $1.25 a day. Already, the world’s poor number 1.2bn.

Mr Zoellick said he saw no short term reversal in the damaging effect of food inflation, which is felt much more in the developing world as packaging and distribution accounts for a far larger proportion of the cost in the advanced economies.

Asked if he thought prices would remain high for a year, Mr Zoellick said: “The general trend lines are ones where we are in a danger zone… because prices have already gone up and stocks are relatively low.”

No doubt it's the Wall Street banks helping to push up food prices and one of those is likely to be the Giant squid. The bit where Jesus feeds the 5000 needs reworking for the bankers, if Jesus had been a banker he'd have more than likely starved the 5000 and sold the food on for a big profit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8451684/World-Bank-Food-prices-have-entered-the-danger-zone.html

No doubt it's the Wall Street banks helping to push up food prices and one of those is likely to be the Giant squid. The bit where Jesus feeds the 5000 needs reworking for the bankers, if Jesus had been a banker he'd have more than likely starved the 5000 and sold the food on for a big profit.

Iirc Jesus had big issues with the money changers of the day.

Many nations decided to burn their own food supply to create bio-ethanol. Very popular with farmers and rural politicians. For example in the US last year they burnt 42% of their corn production.

I think Jesus set up a complex derivatives scheme - where the one fish was re sold repeatedly, based on the secure backing that there were plenty more fish in the sea, and an oversupply of demand that would under right fish prices for the forseable future.

Many nations decided to burn their own food supply to create bio-ethanol. Very popular with farmers and rural politicians. For example in the US last year they burnt 42% of their corn production.

Most corn and wheat is actually grown for animal feed not for direct human food use. 76% of UK wheat is used for non food uses for example.

Bio-ethanol production is little more complicated than that - the starch is removed from the corn/wheat and converted into ethanol, the protein and fibre content of the cereal goes into animal feed just the same as if the corn or wheat were fed to the animals.

The big issue is that more of the world's population want to eat lots more meat.

From the report, 10% of the wheat cost in the middle east is due to inefficient handling, losses and wastage above levels in the EU for example.

Astounding you should say that.

HPCers may recall the problems I experienced in 2006 in Bali, Indonesia.

In short, I received a death threat from an Australian expat who, at the same time, claimed to be running a company called Save The Rainforest. Odd, don't you think? You wouldn't expect anyone trying to Save The Rainforest to be the sort of person issuing violent threats.

Even more fascinating is the fact that he was also running a separate company called Bali Bio Fuels. You'd be right in thinking that both companies have conflicting purposes. Save The Rainforest claims to preserve the rainforest Bali Bio Fuels has need to clear it - for planting bio-fuel crops.

You might be forgiven for thinking that Save The Forest is a deception, a front company there to give the impression of wholesome goodness and legitimacy. You might be forgiven for thinking that Save The Forest is probably accepting investors' funds under false pretences, possibly even being used to fund Bali Bio Fuels.

Well, guess what, the Aussie who threatened me in 2006 also threatened his colleague, the Managing Director of Bali Bio Fuels in 2008, the same way he threatened me.

They are now the worst of enemies. It appears that the Aussie made false and malicious allegations against BBF's managing director, but I strongly doubt this was merely just the usual boardroom schenanigans. Fearing for his life the MD fled Indonesia taking whatever he could.

Now here's where it gets interesting!

I have been contact with the MD of Bali Bio Fuels. He is in hiding but in possession of a full set of records for BOTH companies and is prepared to let me have them in my pursuit against the Aussie, provided I help clear the MD's name later. This guy owns a villa in Bali worth several million, so the allegations made against him of theft, on the surface at least, don't stack up.

I pick up my visa tonight and fly from Singapore to meet him tommorow.

Exciting isn't the word.

Edited by Dave Spart

Astounding you should say that.

HPCers may recall the problems I experienced in 2006 in Bali, Indonesia.

In short, I received a death threat from an Australian expat who, at the same time, claimed to be running a company called Save The Rainforest. Odd, don't you think? You wouldn't expect anyone trying to Save The Rainforest to be the sort of person issuing violent threats.

But were you trying to chop down trees at the time?

Edited by interestrateripoff