House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
juvenal

Council Gives Employees 65P A Mile Petrol Allowance

What if you drive a very economical 1 litre car? How much could you claim for your £6 a gallon outlay?

This Corsa supposedly gives 80mpg. Blimey! That's £52 claimed for my £6 quids worth at the pump!

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/microsite/ecoflex/index.html?ppc=uk_uk_generic_eco_fuel_consumption

Edited by juvenal

http://www.bournemou...age_allowances/

Does your firm give you this much?

My firm just raised it to 45p / miles, in line with HMRC guidelines. Anything above that would be taxed as a benefit in kind.

These people are just utter troughing *****s.

I'm off to check what Waverley pay, and if it's a penny above the HMRC guidelines I'm voting against them in May.

B

....do you know if they have any driving jobs? :P ....traffic can't be that bad, nice scenery and all that...where are they going, what are they doing that can't be done remotely.....not bad when the going rate for most is around 35p if your own car...includes fuel, wear and tear and other costs, maybe others should take that report into work and ask for a fuel allowance rise. ;)

Edited by winkie

Does your firm give you this much?

Sadly not, but then again I work for a firm that's a real business trying to make real money producing real products.

Big Dave talks of cuts but yet the ridiculous spending continues...

....do you know if they have any driving jobs? :P ....traffic can't be that bad, nice scenery and all that...where are they going, what are they doing that can't be done remotely.....not bad when the going rate for most is around 35p if your own car...includes fuel, wear and tear and other costs, maybe others should take that report into work and ask for a fuel allowance rise. ;)

The b*stards at HMRC haven't increased the 40p limit in about a decade despite obvious substantial increases in the cost of motoring.

I have no great truck with local authority employees but I suspect the numbers aren't based on thin air but on some kind of index produced by the AA or RAC or somesuch.

Remember these are people who use their own cars and bear their own petrol, insurance, maintenance, road tax, MoT test etc as well as car purchase/depreciation.

Personally I think it's a very cheap shot from a minister who is being deliberately disingenuous.

As for those sorts of figures, yes they are comparable to rates for those few employees in the large corporate I work for who don't get a car allowance/fuel card.

Edit: AA rates. Note that the amount paid goes down as mileage goes up (as it does for my company and I'm sure local authorities as well) http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/advice/advice_rcosts_petrol_table.jsp

Edited by montesquieu

This guy MUST work for the BBC

You're going to complain about 25p? For goodness sake what a pathetic story! The taxpayers alliance are a self appointed pressure group with ties to the tory party, and despite campaigning for open government refuse to reveal where they get any of their funding from. Stop printing every single press release they issue! It's lazy journalism!

I remember BBC look east calling the TPA a 'far right think tank' as if somehow expecting value for money in services is racist.

I get less than that but do get taxed on the excess above HMRC threshold. They won't give me a lease car and now it just about pays for the fuel. My car gets 25-35 mpg and no I can't afford a nice new Corsa to get this 80mpg figure. I've lost thousands in maintenance and depreciation keeping it on the road.

Public sector wastage eh? Well where cos I haven't seen any of it. 65p/mile is probably fair for the maintenance and depreciation side with fuel costing so much.

Don't bitch about the public sector - you need to ask your hallowed whiter than white corporate bosses to increase your rates as well.

I get less than that but do get taxed on the excess above HMRC threshold. They won't give me a lease car and now it just about pays for the fuel. My car gets 25-35 mpg and no I can't afford a nice new Corsa to get this 80mpg figure. I've lost thousands in maintenance and depreciation keeping it on the road.

Public sector wastage eh? Well where cos I haven't seen any of it. 65p/mile is probably fair for the maintenance and depreciation side with fuel costing so much.

Don't bitch about the public sector - you need to ask your hallowed whiter than white corporate bosses to increase your rates as well.

You're in a dreamworld. I work private sector and only ever got the 40p / mile as advised by HMRC, so I chose a second hand car that was cheap to buy and run. I managed to make money out of that. 55p and 65p is a rip off and its paid for cars with larger engines!!! Bloomin joke rewarding people driving bigger cars on a sliding scale like that. It's the publics money and the governmant say 45p is enough so ripping off the tax payers and awarding 20p / mile more is sickening, expecially in these tough times.

Give them less and they will buy smaller cheaper cars that still get them safely and efficiently from A to B. Keep giving them 55p and 65p and they will continue to buy gas guzzlers and fancy cars.

The b*stards at HMRC haven't increased the 40p limit in about a decade despite obvious substantial increases in the cost of motoring. Incorrect - they increased it from 1 April to 45p/mile for real people in proper jobs

I have no great truck with local authority employees but I suspect the numbers aren't based on thin air but on some kind of index produced by the AA or RAC or somesuch. HMRC produces one, which is the law which the rest of us in real jobs have to abide by

Remember these are people who use their own cars and bear their own petrol, insurance, maintenance, road tax, MoT test etc as well as car purchase/depreciation. Yes, exactly the same as the rest of us, who use our own cars to do proper jobs, in the real world, have to do. We suffer the same losses for 45p/mile or get taxed heavily.

Personally I think it's a very cheap shot from a minister who is being deliberately disingenuous. Utter sloblock, trotted out by a NueLiebour shill

As for those sorts of figures, yes they are comparable to rates for those few employees in the large corporate I work for who don't get a car allowance/fuel card. Wrong yet again. The large corporate that you claim to work for, will pay 45p/mile or employees will get heavily taxed on it. It's the law - at least for those in the private sector

Edit: AA rates. Note that the amount paid goes down as mileage goes up (as it does for my company and I'm sure local authorities as well) http://www.theaa.com...etrol_table.jsp Again, complete sloblock in the context of this discussion. These are running cost rates, NOT what people are allowed to claim for business mileage using a private car. Maybe that's the difference - "business mileage" compared with "day-tripping for diversity co-ordinators in a non-job mileage," for which councils appear to be able to steal taxpayers money at will :angry:

I don't think I've ever heard so much cobblers, pulled together in one place and presented as "fact," in all my time on this board....

Pretty much in line with the rest of your posts though, despite your attempt at deflection with the old "I have no great truck with local authority employees..." sloblock!!

B

I have been talking with a public sector body about an IT contract with - 24p per mile non negotiable for contractors.

I found out today that the permie people can get up to 55p.

The sense of entitlement is staggering.

I have been talking with a public sector body about an IT contract with - 24p per mile non negotiable for contractors.

I found out today that the permie people can get up to 55p.

The sense of entitlement is staggering.

Not only do they get that and you don't.

But (and this is the funny bit).

YOU PAY FOR THEM TO GET IT! :lol::lol::lol:

Reminds me of housing benefit going direct to landlords, the government will pay out to anyone as long as it doesn't upset people; and they

get moral support from the industry they pay into.

Edited by northwestsmith2

By law the maximum mileage allowance is 45p, otherwise it is taxable as income.

One rule for our public sector lords, another for us serfs.

No it's the same rule for everybody.

As you say the excess WILL be taxed as income

The b*stards at HMRC haven't increased the 40p limit in about a decade despite obvious substantial increases in the cost of motoring.

Actually, there has not been a substantial increase in the costs of motoring.

Fuel has gone up but everything else connected with driving has gone down

tim

Actually, there has not been a substantial increase in the costs of motoring.

Fuel has gone up but everything else connected with driving has gone down

tim

Oh yeh, your 100% right: sarcastic smiley:

Road tax

Insurance

Oil

Tyres

All up, unless they pay you to buy Magic Trees now then I would say the cost is Up Up Up

No it's the same rule for everybody.

As you say the excess WILL be taxed as income

I dont know any comany that pasy over the HMRc rates.

And its still a tax payer cost as we will only recover a maximum 40% (maybe 50%) in tax on it so the tax payer still picks up the bill

Some things don't change.

I remember back in the '80s, my first employer would pay about 20p/mile, which seemed hugely generous ...

... until the day I got a lift to lunch in a civil servant's car, and he mentioned his mileage allowance in the upper thirties ...