House Price Crash Forum

Yeah, went to Comet instead!!!! And got mugged off into buying a £360 5 year guarantee on the TV - not down with my tech stuff but didn't realise how f-ed you are if an LED breaks down. Still will kick the TV in in 4 years and claim for a new one.

Plasma backlights are much more likely to fail than LEDs. :huh:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never bother with extended warranties. My opinion is if it's going to break it'll break in the first year through being faulty from the start - Manufacturers warranty if it does happen here is still intact. Luckily that theory has held true so far.

Yes, it seems to be the case with things electronic that if they work for the first few weeks they will still be working in five years.

never buy extended warranty - it is a rip off.

for £360 you can buy another 42" inch TV should it break.

did you know 1/3 of the profits of dixons is from extended warranties. thats why their so keen to push it.

the cost/risk ratio for warranties on any item, phones for example, just doesnt make economical sense.

also items are covered for 6 years under one of the consumer acts or contract law. can't remember which as never had to use it but you end up taking action vs the manufacturer.

insurance is licensed gambling. they know the odds of a breakage and factor that in so that they come up smelling of roses.

also items are covered for 6 years under one of the consumer acts or contract law. can't remember which as never had to use it but you end up taking action vs the manufacturer.

insurance is licensed gambling. they know the odds of a breakage and factor that in so that they come up smelling of roses.

Yes, that is an EU law, a bit vague but handy. From what I remember it basically covers goods for 'the duration you would reasonably expect based on the price paid'.

These are part of your 'statutory rights', but shops are happy to ignore them if you haven't a bought an extended warranty of some kind.

So if you pay £1300 for a TV, you would expect it to last longer than a year, so if it were to break after 3, you should expect them to repair it or replace with an item of the same value.

Don't forget that your contract is with the retailer as well so if they try to fob you off to the manufacturer then they are again infringing your statutory rights. It is up to the retailer to repair or replace.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/how-long-should-it-last/

Yes, that is an EU law, a bit vague but handy. From what I remember it basically covers goods for 'the duration you would reasonably expect based on the price paid'.

These are part of your 'statutory rights', but shops are happy to ignore them if you haven't a bought an extended warranty of some kind.

So if you pay £1300 for a TV, you would expect it to last longer than a year, so if it were to break after 3, you should expect them to repair it or replace with an item of the same value.

Don't forget that your contract is with the retailer as well so if they try to fob you off to the manufacturer then they are again infringing your statutory rights. It is up to the retailer to repair or replace.

I had something happen with halfords with their lifetime guarentee tool sets.

One of the ratchets broke the 1st time I used it... took it back asked for a repair/replacement, they said no. I even had my receipt and they still said no. They then went on a tirade about how I could have stolen those tools (and receipt) therefore my warranty was invalid.

I was :blink: WTF was the point of putting life time guarentee when clearly it isn't?

I worked for DSG as a student - about 6 years ago the management had no idea and although we were there to sell technology, 90% of the staff had no idea what they were doing, and no training was ever provided, except for how to sell extended warranties of course!

I was one of the few people who actually knew what they were talking about, there were good people there but most were idiots! Wasn't a bad job mind for a student but I'm certainly not surprised they're struggling the writing has been on the wall since I was there!

http://whatconsumer....should-it-last/

The meaning of that "up to" being that it's the duty of the retailer to repair, replace or refund. The choice of which of the three you want is yours, the customer. It's always best to get your full refund; then you can start from scratch with a new purchase if you so choose. The new purchase is a new contract and so you get a new 5 years starting from that day, not the date of the purchase of the original faulty item. For this reason alone, repair/replacement are far worse options.

I worked for DSG as a student - about 6 years ago the management had no idea and although we were there to sell technology, 90% of the staff had no idea what they were doing, and no training was ever provided, except for how to sell extended warranties of course!

I was one of the few people who actually knew what they were talking about, there were good people there but most were idiots! Wasn't a bad job mind for a student but I'm certainly not surprised they're struggling the writing has been on the wall since I was there!

1) Not unusual!

2) Well done on that one!

Seems to have been deleted from Youtube now but there was a video of a prank by Leigh Francis (aka Avid Merrion from Bo Selecta) made a few years before he got onto TV.

He'd got hold of a Dixons staff uniform and basically just walked into a branch of Dixons and "worked" there for a couple of hours, mucking about, giving customers really crap/bizarre advice on products etc while his mate filmed it on a hidden camera. Thing was neither the other staff or the customers appeared to notice anything unusual and in the end he went to the store manager, announced what he was doing, then promptly got thrown out!

Seems to have been deleted from Youtube now but there was a video of a prank by Leigh Francis (aka Avid Merrion from Bo Selecta) made a few years before he got onto TV.

He'd got hold of a Dixons staff uniform and basically just walked into a branch of Dixons and "worked" there for a couple of hours, mucking about, giving customers really crap/bizarre advice on products etc while his mate filmed it on a hidden camera. Thing was neither the other staff or the customers appeared to notice anything unusual and in the end he went to the store manager, announced what he was doing, then promptly got thrown out!

Do post if you find it.. that sounds REALLY funny :D

Guest eight

My sister used this when the steering rack on her Ford Fiesta needed replacing at around 36000 miles. Got a solicitor's letter to basically say that the steering rack should outlast the car. Got it repaired under "goodwill" when they were originally going to charge c. £600.

eight

Do post if you find it.. that sounds REALLY funny :D

I can't remember his reply verbatim but there was one classic moment when a customer asks him a technical question about a product to which he replies "I don't know, can you pop down the road and ask someone in Comet and then come back and tell me cus we've always wondered that too" :lol:

Edited by Neil D Possitt

Went there once looking to purchase a computer, quite a few years ago, very little staff confidence in the features and benefits of the products......good training on the warranties/ breakdown insurance though. ;)

I never bother with extended warranties. My opinion is if it's going to break it'll break in the first year through being faulty from the start - Manufacturers warranty if it does happen here is still intact. Luckily that theory has held true so far.

I have to say I have never bought one, never regretted it, like you say you get a 12 month guarantee anyway... they were asking £76 per year for a washing machine, you are better off putting the money in a savings account monthly, by the time it packs up you will have enough for a new machine.Got offered it on a £24 kettle once. ;)