House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Family Of Four Lose 44-Stone After Taxpayers Pay For All Of Them To Have Gastric Bypass Surgery

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1376611/Family-lose-44st-taxpayers-pay-gastric-bypass-surgery.html

A family-of-four have lost 44-stone between them after undergoing gastric bypass surgery on the NHS.

Craig and Denise Watson and their two daughters Rebecca, 24, and Rachel, 21, all had their free surgeries within a six-month period.

News of their expensive operations, which could have cost taxpayers up to £40,000 for the Watson family, comes after surgeons claimed performing gastric operations could save the NHS money in the long run.

She told BBC Radio Sheffield: 'I went to the doctors and I was told that I wasn't heavy enough to be considered for gastric surgery.

'I deliberately put a stone-and-a-half on to be able to be considered for the operation.'

The wonders of targets, sorry you can't have that because your not heavy enough, so either you find the will power to lose it yourself or find the will power to hit the target weight and eat more cake/biscuits/chocolates etc..... The mind just boggles at this logic.

Although I wonder if Letwin felt that Sheffielders shouldn't fly because they are too fat and the plane wouldn't be able to take off?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1376611/Family-lose-44st-taxpayers-pay-gastric-bypass-surgery.html

The wonders of targets, sorry you can't have that because your not heavy enough, so either you find the will power to lose it yourself or find the will power to hit the target weight and eat more cake/biscuits/chocolates etc..... The mind just boggles at this logic.

Although I wonder if Letwin felt that Sheffielders shouldn't fly because they are too fat and the plane wouldn't be able to take off?

Fattastic

Sometimes people just cannot stop themselves eating lard sandwiches and drinking vats of chip fat.

The only way to save them from their gluttony was to alter their physical being. Money well spent I reckon.

I can't stop masterbating. The only thing that can solve this terrible affliction is to have NHS surgeons to shorten my arms.

Sometimes people just cannot stop themselves eating lard sandwiches and drinking vats of chip fat.

The only way to save them from their gluttony was to alter their physical being.

A 9mm brain hemorrhage would be the most appropriate 'treatment'. Why am I paying to support these scum?

The only way to save them from their gluttony was to alter their physical being. Money well spent I reckon.

I can't stop masterbating. The only thing that can solve this terrible affliction is to have NHS surgeons to shorten my arms.

try abstenence it makes u feel much better

Thing on BBC Breakfast News today. Quite interesting. Huge study on size and shape of 9 year olds (IIRC) in the UK today compared to 1979 (IIRC).

Now even though males and females are taller today (2cm for birds and 4 cm for blokes) the size of waists had grown much more. 7cm for blokes and 8cm for birds. That is quite some increase.

The Doc/expert bod was giving it all the softly softy chat and how these kids need to be helped through this and under no circumstances be told they are fat. When, to my surprise, the usually very irritating Bill came out with something like 'Well they should be told sometime otherwise they will never know - someone has to tell them !?'

To which the 'expert' somewhat fumbled and hummed and hahhed and didn't really have an answer.

Was a very pleasant surprise to me to hear someone in the media spelling it out like that. Needs more of it. IMO.

Well, given that I'm from Manchester and there is an opening in the BBC team due to Salford relocation, I feel I could be just the man to be entrusted with this.

Unfortunately Bill is moving North.

Unless, of course, you look good in a skirt and can replace Sian?

Well, given that I'm from Manchester and there is an opening in the BBC team due to Salford relocation, I feel I could be just the man to be entrusted with this.

Apply for the role.

'BBC overt fatty basher'

I could try. That would be quite a sight for breakfast viewers.

Thank the Lord I'm not a morning person!

A friend of mine who was (at one point) 28 stone, considered having surgery. The sort of thing where part of your stomach is "stapled off" so that you feel full quicker by eating less.

Sorry if I'm a bit vague about it, I don't think it's the same as a gastric band, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, he was put off the idea by seeing a documentary involving a guy who had this surgery and later died.

He did lose about 10 stone in the end though, by going to SlimmersWorld. And because he was eating better, his blood pressure improved, his diabetes (Type II) became manageable and even his psoriasis receded.

Ultimately it was the better option for him.

It might have been a lot cheaper to send this family to SlimmersWorld, although they would have to supply the motivation.

It might have been a lot cheaper to send this family to SlimmersWorld, although they would have to supply the motivation.

Slimming clubs cost money every week.

Why the local doctors doesn't run a slimming club I don't know.

A weekly weigh in doesn't need a qualified doctor to do - but they could run them the same as fat clubs and prmote healthy eating and exercise.

Wasn't there a spate of doctors being able to prescribe exercise too?

AFAIK You have to show you can lose some weight on your own before they'll give you a gasttric band anyway.

I don't know about Weight Watchers or the like, but SlimmingWorld seem to know what they're doing.

I know someone else who goes there and she lost a noticeable amount of weight too.

The NHS does subsidized memberships on referral (according to the link below)

http://www.slimmingworld.com/health/swor/how-much-does-it-cost.aspx

I don't know about Weight Watchers or the like, but SlimmingWorld seem to know what they're doing.

I know someone else who goes there and she lost a noticeable amount of weight too.

The NHS does subsidized memberships on referral (according to the link below)

http://www.slimmingworld.com/health/swor/how-much-does-it-cost.aspx

Didn't know that! thanks for the link.

Slimming world is the one with red and green days I think.

I don't think it offers a long term healthy eating thing though as you're allowed "unlimited" amounts of some foods - so keeping people's stomachs nice and large. It'll be like most diets that work as long as you stick to the rules.

Didn't know that! thanks for the link.

Slimming world is the one with red and green days I think.

It was news to me too.

Red days are where you can eat meat, Green days are just veggie stuff.

My mate (the one who lost 10 stone) has let the diet slip a bit recently, so he's gained some weight again.

I guess you either need to stick to the SlimmingWorld diet or do something else, like take more exercise, in order to maintain the losses.

My mate can't really do much exercise, all those years of being 28 stone have knackered both his feet and his kneecaps.

A weekly weigh in doesn't need a qualified doctor to do - but they could run them the same as fat clubs and prmote healthy eating and exercise.

I've been in a few Dr's who've had posters up saying they run a weekly clinic (for registered patients only). How well they are attended I don't know but probably by having the sign up and saying they are running this service it will probably mean another box ticked on the tick box for cash.