House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Zante

Buying Off Plan

I'm buying off plan (:blink:) from Taylor Wimpey (:unsure:)!

The issue is that the kitchen layout they have in place, on the plans, is rubbish. I've redrawn the floorplan (using sketchup) in perspective view as shown below.

combined.jpg

My question is, as my proposed changes are not structural in any way (no piping and/or plumbing needs to be shifted), what's to stop them doing as I ask?

The last response I got back from them stated "we are a volume builder" and "I hope this does not sound too harsh". My response to that was "I am not a volume buyer".

Furthermore, their customer services told me that they can't change it because they receive a certificate from the CML/council of mortgage lenders which is based on the specification shown on the plans. I phoned up the CML and was promptly told that they do not certify/pass out certificates.

Are they being lazy?

Edit: I've suggested they put me in contact with their kitchen contractor and things are actually starting to move again. Talk about drawing blood from a stone!

Edited by Zante

Why oh why buy off plan?

Is that the 1 and only flat for sale in the area you want to be?

I also feel the the developers are being reasonable in saying no to your request

All the other nice 1 bedroom flats are in the range of 145-170k!

This has a nice living room (21x25).

60 second walk to work.

Edit: Even got a layout planned!

layout_7.jpg

Edited by Zante

I'm buying off plan (:blink:) from Taylor Wimpey (:unsure:)!

The issue is that the kitchen layout they have in place, on the plans, is rubbish. I've redrawn the floorplan (using sketchup) in perspective view as shown below.

combined.jpg

My question is, as my proposed changes are not structural in any way (no piping and/or plumbing needs to be shifted), what's to stop them doing as I ask?

The last response I got back from them stated "we are a volume builder" and "I hope this does not sound too harsh". My response to that was "I am not a volume buyer".

Furthermore, their customer services told me that they can't change it because they receive a certificate from the CML/council of mortgage lenders which is based on the specification shown on the plans. I phoned up the CML and was promptly told that they do not certify/pass out certificates.

Are they being lazy?

Edit: I've suggested they put me in contact with their kitchen contractor and things are actually starting to move again. Talk about drawing blood from a stone!

The use of space is indeed poor, but I suppose a single line of identical units is cheaper and easier for the developer to procure and fit and at the end of the day that's all they care about. Can you not fit a fridge in to one of the units? If you can speak direct to the kitchen suppliers they may be able to do something, but I'm sure it will cost.

Buying off plan isn't always a bad thing, I've done it myself before and it's worked out well, make sure you get someone to check the quality of work and compile a full snag list before you sign everything off.

Where is this magical land where 1 bed flats cost 7 times the average UK salary? I assume it's in London somewhere?

The use of space is indeed poor, but I suppose a single line of identical units is cheaper and easier for the developer to procure and fit and at the end of the day that's all they care about. Can you not fit a fridge in to one of the units? If you can speak direct to the kitchen suppliers they may be able to do something, but I'm sure it will cost.

Buying off plan isn't always a bad thing, I've done it myself before and it's worked out well, make sure you get someone to check the quality of work and compile a full snag list before you sign everything off.

Where is this magical land where 1 bed flats cost 7 times the average UK salary? I assume it's in London somewhere?

This magical land is in..........................................................

Hatfield

90% of the properties here look they're on the verge of being reclaimed by the earth, and there are a lot of them. Really pushes up the price of the acceptable stuff.

Have a look:

http://*******.com/3qwx4ju

Edited by Zante

This magical land is in..........................................................

Hatfield

90% of the properties here look they're on the verge of being reclaimed by the earth, and there are a lot of them. Really pushes up the price of the acceptable stuff.

Have a look:

http://*******.com/3qwx4ju

I didn't realise Hatfield was so expensive. I'm in St Albans - I feel your pain!

If TW hadn't screwed up the paper work then I would have already commit to buy by now. I was walking past the building site, as I make sure to do every single day, and noticed they added the juliette balcony to the property. Aside from it looking f-ugly, isn't it also too big and poorly fitted? Am I nitpicking?

This contrasts the block opposite which has been built by Bovis Homes which, on the outside, looks quite nice. I asked my solicitor whether or not I'd be able to change the balcony at some point and was advised 'no', pretty much.

wimpey_vs_bovis.jpg

Would this bother anyone else?

Yes. Are they all like that?

Regarding the kitchen, they would contract that out and they would have priced it on a volume basis. Your new layout, although better, would be more difficult to fit hence the contractor would not want to bother with it unless you paid more.

WTF is the purpose of any "juliette balcony" supposed to be?

Why would anyone want a balcony you can't at least go out and sit on?

Yes, they are all like that. :[

The point of a juliette balcony, I always thought it was to make things look nice from the outside looking in. Clearly that doesn't apply here.

Well I suppose it does mean you can have a bigger opening to let air in on hot summer days.

If they are all like that, I doubt they would change it - they would say that is the design.

If TW hadn't screwed up the paper work then I would have already commit to buy by now. I was walking past the building site, as I make sure to do every single day, and noticed they added the juliette balcony to the property. Aside from it looking f-ugly, isn't it also too big and poorly fitted? Am I nitpicking?

This contrasts the block opposite which has been built by Bovis Homes which, on the outside, looks quite nice. I asked my solicitor whether or not I'd be able to change the balcony at some point and was advised 'no', pretty much.

wimpey_vs_bovis.jpg

Yes - on both company designs - because on the parts where the building is slightly curved, yet the metal balcony is flat across right above it, it looks awful. If the metal had the same slight curve in keeping with the shape of the building it would be fine, and it's the penny-pinching lack of the curve that wrecks it for me. It looks like a mistake made by the builders - I bet you that the original architect's drawings / "artist's impressions" have curved balconies.