1. Four coin proof set (1x £5; 1xdouble sov; 1x sov; 1x half sov) mint unc

2. 2x loose sovereigns

Anyone any tips on where should I sell?

Hi I sadly have to dip into my fund, hopefully temporary,

Need to sell:

2. 2x loose sovereigns

Places like Lois in Birmingham will give you 205 each for the loose sovs, so that should be a minimum.

You might get more from a private buyer if you can find one on here.

Lois would buy the proof set at the same rate, but I reckon you should get a premium for them (although my guess is it would again have to be a private seller).

Lois would be 102 for the half sov, 205 for the full, and 410 for the double.

Never really known what the five pound coin is ? Is its troy weight the same as four sovs, or a bit higher ?

Minimum would be 820 if it is basically a quadruple sov, making the proof set at least 1537 for scrap value.

Edited by ScrewsNutsandBolts

Need to sell:

2. 2x loose sovereigns

Forget ebay you'll be paying 15-20% of the final price in fees.

Try hatton garden metals

https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/scrap-gold-form.aspx

Specifically states Sovs at the bottom for the loose ones.

Richard Anderson I had a chat with recently of Weighton will give you 90%-95% of spot price. For the proof set because he can sell them for more he will buy them at 98% - 105% of spot price he'll then sell them for even more because the premium of the set.

HPCers will probably give you spot price about £201 for the pure gold content (916)

Thanks v much will try Hatton Gardens (I'm in London). The £5 is five sovs in weight i.e. just shy of 40gms. It's a lovely thing. The set has the certificate of authenticity.

Thanks v much will try Hatton Gardens (I'm in London). The £5 is five sovs in weight i.e. just shy of 40gms. It's a lovely thing. The set has the certificate of authenticity.

If in London then Hatton Gardens is a no-brainer.

Lois are equally good (possibly better for customer service and a really friendly bunch), but only makes sense if you are in the Midalnds.

If your proof set is mint then it might be worth calling a coin dealer or two, as possibly you might get over spot (?). No experience of this just a thought. I don't know London well but there is a coin shop over the road from the entrance to the British musuem. For the sake of a ten pence call it might be worth asking the question.

Edit: just looked on the net and they seem to be www.coincraft.com

Edited by ScrewsNutsandBolts

Never really known what the five pound coin is ? Is its troy weight the same as four sovs, or a bit higher ?

Well, the easy bit is a Sovereign is a pound coin. Double sovereign is a two pound coin. Five pound is five sovereigns (and a half a half).

The odd bit, is that in 1816 a sovereign was defined as 0.2354 Troy oz. Doesn't seem a very round number, but if you add up one of each denomination of gold coins, 0.5 + 1 + 2 + 5 = 8.5 sovereigns, then 8.5 * 0.2354 = 2.000 Troy oz. Now, why on Earth would they do that?

So that a sovereign weighs a handy 4/17th Troy oz?

So that if you wanted to bake a cake and needed 2oz flour but didn't have any scales, you could just compare it to the 8.5 sovereigns in your pocket?

So that if you wanted to compare it to 10 shillings or 2 crowns, which would be 2oz of silver, you still couldn't, because in the same year they defined silver coinage in bloody imperial ounces?

Well, the easy bit is a Sovereign is a pound coin. Double sovereign is a two pound coin. Five pound is five sovereigns (and a half a half).

The odd bit, is that in 1816 a sovereign was defined as 0.2354 Troy oz. Doesn't seem a very round number, but if you add up one of each denomination of gold coins, 0.5 + 1 + 2 + 5 = 8.5 sovereigns, then 8.5 * 0.2354 = 2.000 Troy oz. Now, why on Earth would they do that?

So that a sovereign weighs a handy 4/17th Troy oz?

So that if you wanted to bake a cake and needed 2oz flour but didn't have any scales, you could just compare it to the 8.5 sovereigns in your pocket?

So that if you wanted to compare it to 10 shillings or 2 crowns, which would be 2oz of silver, you still couldn't, because in the same year they defined silver coinage in bloody imperial ounces?

But is does mean that a long set (5, 2, 1, 0.5 sovs) weighs 2 TOz.

Need to sell:

2. 2x loose sovereigns

Coininvest seem to have some pretty fullsome buy prices. But any dealer is unlikely to match a private buyer, who would be used to paying matbe 8% over spot. I might be interested, but I'm looking at your post count and - for heaven's sake - your username : what were you thinking? :D