House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Travel Tax Extortion!

I was looking at a website promotion where they were selling flights for £1+taxes. Over the past week there have been multiple promotions to Asia and the middle east.

The problem is the + taxes bit added £280 to the cost of the flight.... meh wadda rip off!

Ken, I actually think that £280 to be flown a few thousand miles is reasonable. It costs me £100 to take a train into London from Manchester.

Think of it 50 as packets of fags.

Thats not my point, my point being is that the government takes a massive cut for doing very little. While the airline gets a minority cut for doing an awful lot more:

Maintaining the aircraft (I hope)

Paying the landing fees

Paying its staff

Paying the fuel

Paying for routes/air corridors

Paying for advertising and overheads of its infrastructure etc.

I've paid £400ish for flights back and forth so the airline does all of that for £120 while the government sucks out £280 for NOTHING.

I was looking at a website promotion where they were selling flights for £1+taxes. Over the past week there have been multiple promotions to Asia and the middle east.

The problem is the + taxes bit added £280 to the cost of the flight.... meh wadda rip off!

Most of what they call taxes is not actually tax, it is airport landing fees, which is what the airport charges for providing their facilities.

I've recently bought a return economy class air ticket from Teesside to Fairbanks, AK, for travel in May. It cost $816, bought directly from Delta's website. The breakdown on the receipt indicates that $533.90 of that is tax.

Of course, the fokkers are crafty. The UK APD is set just at a level at which you wouldn't save anything significant by buying a lo-co flight to a European hub and then a separate long-haul ticket from there, direct from a non-UK website. I guess they know that if they raise it any higher, people will start doing this en masse.

Most of what they call taxes is not actually tax, it is airport landing fees, which is what the airport charges for providing their facilities.

Wrong. Google APD.

Thats not my point, my point being is that the government takes a massive cut for doing very little. While the airline gets a minority cut for doing an awful lot more:

It always makes me laugh hearing those ass holes in westminster spouting off about the obscene profits that oil companies make and how they should contribute more.

Petrol-prices-300311.jpg