House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuckyOne

Why Is Racial And Religious Profiling Legal .....

As per title.

I fail to understand why my racial and religious profile is at all relevant to the 2011 census. We are supposed to live in a secular, non racial society so surely this information is irrelevant?

Its so they know whose doors to kick down when the pogroms start to appease whoever happens to be the biggest mob at the time.

1940s invasion of the Netherlands did something similar with Jewish people.

As per title.

I fail to understand why my racial and religious profile is at all relevant to the 2011 census. We are supposed to live in a secular, non racial society so surely this information is irrelevant?

The overlords tell the plebs to treat all races as equal when they themselves are absolutely obsessed with race.

Stepping back from the rhetoric, it's still probably useful to know the makeup of the country in those terms. Returning to what I actually think, whilst it's useful to know the overall numbers, and roughly where they are, it's totally unacceptable to insist (OK, they don't on the religious question) on being able to associate that information with any individual. The amount of information that the state has a fundamental right to know about any particular person is zero. I accept some circumstances where they might, but there always must be some circumstances.

I settled for filling in the census in an illegible scrawl. If I start feeling particularly bullied I may even post it.

Stepping back from the rhetoric, it's still probably useful to know the makeup of the country in those terms. Returning to what I actually think, whilst it's useful to know the overall numbers, and roughly where they are, it's totally unacceptable to insist

So they know how many bullets to buy or how many gas chambers to build? :blink:

As per title.

The religion question was optional.

IMO the whole attitude from both central and local govt. is irrationally based on emphasising differences, rather than on what unites people. My local council used to dish out glossy mags with covers saying things like, 'Celebrating Diversity!' It's a whole public-sector mindset with cast-iron blinkers on - misplaced PC-ness bent on 'celebrating' what divides people, rather than what unites them.

It'd be so much better IMO to focus on what most people of whatever colour/creed have in common, i.e. wanting a peaceful, productive, non-crime-ridden life, good schools and job opportunities for their kids, etc.

So they can throw more money at the most minority (or should that be majority now) ridden communities?

Why wouldnt they ask? Why ask any questions at all? Why even have a census?

Dont get why issues of race or religion are any less or more worthy of attention than any other question asked.

IMO the whole attitude from both central and local govt. is irrationally based on emphasising differences, rather than on what unites people. My local council used to dish out glossy mags with covers saying things like, 'Celebrating Diversity!' It's a whole public-sector mindset with cast-iron blinkers on - misplaced PC-ness bent on 'celebrating' what divides people, rather than what unites them.

It'd be so much better IMO to focus on what most people of whatever colour/creed have in common, i.e. wanting a peaceful, productive, non-crime-ridden life, good schools and job opportunities for their kids, etc.

I had never thought of it like that before , there are certainly many layers to this cake that they have baked.

Who knows what their final agenda is? When does it end?

An old guy knocked on last night to ask as to why I hadn't filled it in.

I just said because I don't want to. I think he then suggested I could be subsequently arrested.

I did the census training on Monday...if you refuse then a refusal form will be filled out by the collector list the reason why...a dummy form will then be filled out, so if no form is returned by the householder, some information will be recorded (the collector may ask a neighbour for info...). You'll next be visited by some non-compliance officers and then most likely be threatened by a thousand quid fine, court action, criminal record (again)...all that malarky... I think they'll try and hound you until you give in...seems as if there were 38 convictions from the last census...

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/noncompliancees.asp

I did the census training on Monday...if you refuse then a refusal form will be filled out by the collector list the reason why...a dummy form will then be filled out, so if no form is returned by the householder, some information will be recorded (the collector may ask a neighbour for info...). You'll next be visited by some non-compliance officers and then most likely be threatened by a thousand quid fine, court action, criminal record (again)...all that malarky... I think they'll try and hound you until you give in...seems as if there were 38 convictions from the last census...

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/noncompliancees.asp

Why do you people even answer the door? I only ever open the door for the post man if he needs a signature or to get in and out of the door.

Anybody else who knocks is :

• Trying to sell you something

• Trying to push religion on to you (same as above tbh)

• Is trying to scam you

• Is trying to guilt you into donating into charity

• If they police come a knocking they'll batter the door down and beat me into submission anyway

Why do you people even answer the door? I only ever open the door for the post man if he needs a signature or to get in and out of the door.

Anybody else who knocks is :

• Trying to sell you something
  • Trying to push religion on to you (same as above tbh)
  • Is trying to scam you
  • Is trying to guilt you into donating into charity
  • If they police come a knocking they'll batter the door down and beat me into submission anyway

What if its a horny next door neighbour - whose hubby is away and is gagging on a bit of action ?

Mayeb worth a peek out the window just in case. :D

What if its a horny next door neighbour - whose hubby is away and is gagging on a bit of action ?

Mayeb worth a peek out the window just in case. :D

I installed a web accessible camera system in the house opposite a few months ago. Somebody knocks I can have a look without moving.

I installed a web accessible camera system in the house opposite a few months ago. Somebody knocks I can have a look without moving.

No need for twitchy curtains. :D

I suspect that they were trying to knock on my door the other day. There was a piece of paper shoved through the letterbox whinging about it not being returned yet when I got home at any rate.

It would be hard to resist the temptation of showing them up as a bunch of nosey hypocrites if they refused to tell you everything about themselves that's on the census because it's none of your business who they are. We'll just have to see what happens with my probable unreadable by humans and almost certainly unreadable by computer reply (I suppose I can always claim that I filled it in when I got home from the pub).

On a completely unrelated note, have you seen OOlite? Docking with LAVE station has never been so frustrating!

What, it's even got a handy buoy to make lining up a doddle! At least until enough launching ships have rammed it to destroy it (unless that's been fixed since I last played it).

What, it's even got a handy buoy to make lining up a doddle! At least until enough launching ships have rammed it to destroy it (unless that's been fixed since I last played it).

The bouy is miles away now...

The thing is I was spoiled by frontier and first encounters autopilots did the docking for me!

The bouy is miles away now...

The thing is I was spoiled by frontier and first encounters autopilots did the docking for me!

Ah, now what I do on First Encounters is start at Lave, and don't sell the Cobra. Oh, and if I die that's it - no re-load from saves. I usually don't get very far, and if the autopilot gets shot up (once you've bought one) you'll have to fly and dock manually. Mind you, it still automatically matches the rotation there, just to make it a bit too easy. The hardest time I had (that I survived) was managing to get to the station and dock when the main thruster had been damaged on the way.

If you fancy another go at First Encounters have a search for GLFFE. Someone has managed to hack it around enough to rewrite the graphics code, giving a decent resolution display, and most of the ships have been redesigned with much better quality models. Graphically it's to FFE what Oolite is to Elite. Pity that the planets still look poor close up, but at least they're good from a distance now.

Until the sixties or so, the progressive/liberal idea was that ethnics would be treated as nominal whites - a sort of 'colourblind' policy. However by the sixties/seventies, the lefties started to see this as patronising because it assumed that the white man's culture was the best. It was seen as a petty-nationalist, narrow minded view - the truly 'progressive' realised that other cultures all had something to offer. Adapting to other cultures meant you were broadminded. Teachers, civil servants etc also lacked the nerve to say to millions upon millions of immigrants that they had to adapt to British culture rather than vice-versa. I'm not sure though that the opposite approach, as used in France for example, works much better though.

Ah, now what I do on First Encounters is start at Lave, and don't sell the Cobra. Oh, and if I die that's it - no re-load from saves. I usually don't get very far, and if the autopilot gets shot up (once you've bought one) you'll have to fly and dock manually. Mind you, it still automatically matches the rotation there, just to make it a bit too easy. The hardest time I had (that I survived) was managing to get to the station and dock when the main thruster had been damaged on the way.

If you fancy another go at First Encounters have a search for GLFFE. Someone has managed to hack it around enough to rewrite the graphics code, giving a decent resolution display, and most of the ships have been redesigned with much better quality models. Graphically it's to FFE what Oolite is to Elite. Pity that the planets still look poor close up, but at least they're good from a distance now.

Nah First encounters is too painful to play these days.... I remember my favorite commander who had a ton of money and a rating of dangerous I had a serious misjump that places you across the galaxy... problem was I also had a military drive and my save game was corrupted! :o

As per title.

We have to provide for everyone's needs.

So for example in an area with lots of welshmen, we'd better have welsh-speaking services. And sponsor cultural needs like male voice choirs. Do you think they can manage that?

Until the sixties or so, the progressive/liberal idea was that ethnics would be treated as nominal whites - a sort of 'colourblind' policy. However by the sixties/seventies, the lefties started to see this as patronising because it assumed that the white man's culture was the best. It was seen as a petty-nationalist, narrow minded view - the truly 'progressive' realised that other cultures all had something to offer. Adapting to other cultures meant you were broadminded. Teachers, civil servants etc also lacked the nerve to say to millions upon millions of immigrants that they had to adapt to British culture rather than vice-versa. I'm not sure though that the opposite approach, as used in France for example, works much better though.

Occasionally it's worked very well in Britain - join in with what you've moved to, but add a little bit of your own colour to it (no pun intended). I don't think that implies any superiority in the local culture, just that it is the local culture and therefore as much a part of the country as the green fields, grey skies, and great beer.

As per title.

They need to take a stab at what year Sharia will hit