House Price Crash Forum
ralphmalph

Here Is The Yes2Av Broadcast To Be Shown Tonight

So the main liar party i.e Nick Clegg, no tuition fees, then 9K have some of that dear Mr Voter tells us that AV is going to make Nick Clegg become Honest John.

What a load of crapola.

So the main liar party i.e Nick Clegg, no tuition fees, then 9K have some of that dear Mr Voter tells us that AV is going to make Nick Clegg become Honest John.

What a load of crapola.

From Labour's 2010 manifesto:

"Restoring trust in politics

We know that the political system has let people down and there can be no return to business as usual at Westminster. Our Manifesto sets out plans to give people a right to recall MPs who let them down, a referendum on moving to the alternative vote for the House of Commons and a referendum on a democratic Second Chamber and a free vote in Parliament on reducing the voting age to 16."

Why aren't you complaining that the Labour Party's main backers, i.e. the unions, are almost entirely against AV, and why most of the Labour front bench is actively campaigning against AV? Seems you wouldn't know crapola from Shinola.

What a load of crapola.

Are they saying that it's perfect? or just saying that it is a better alternative?

We know that the political system has let people down and there can be no return to business as usual at Westminster. Our Manifesto sets out plans to give people a right to recall MPs who let them down, a referendum on moving to the alternative vote for the House of Commons and a referendum on a democratic Second Chamber and a free vote in Parliament on reducing the voting age to 16."

Why aren't you complaining that the Labour Party's main backers, i.e. the unions, are almost entirely against AV, and why most of the Labour front bench is actively campaigning against AV? Seems you wouldn't know crapola from Shinola.

its just spinola

They raise a good point in that AV is how the parties elect a leader but not good enough to change my mind or distract me from the facts of what will happen when the liebour/libdim votes are added up in a poll.

I am commenting on a specific video not AV in general or who funds the labour party, different topics. It is well known that the price of coalition for the Lib Dems was a referendum on AV so seeing as they wanted AV and the message from the majority funded by Lib Dems, Yes2AV is it will make your MP's honest when the biggest complaint about Nick Clegg and his party is that they renegaged on the main issue they campaigned on.

I will complain against unions and labour when it is a Union funded labour video, which it is not.

Interesting the point that the Conservative leadership election is run by AV. Except it isn't. It is done with a new election each time one candidate is eliminated. Which is much fairer...

What a childish advert.

And AV won't affect safe seats. :rolleyes: Loads of MPs are elected already by 50%+ in their constituencies. They won't be affected. AV affects marginal constituencies.

Not that the pro-AV lot can grasp such basic things.

Guest sillybear2

Bleh, I preferred B'stard and his "vote for me and get free shit" party.

I think the clumsy point about using "the same system you use to elect your own leader" is kind of shooting themselves in the foot; given that Miliband basically lost the popular vote but still managed to win due to the second preferences and stitched up union block vote. A system even he has now decided to do away with.

Also, what's with all the stuff about expenses and 2nd homes? It's annoying but nothing to do with the voting system, you could have the most perfectly representative democracy on Earth but some (well, most) will still use their power to line their own pockets or serve business interests. Accountability and transparency should go far beyond the way you chalk up the winners, so to speak.

What a load of rubbish. Thankfully, the video is so cringeworthy in its shouty nature and holier-than-thou slant that there's no effing way any normal person will sit through that. I wouldn't if it were not for this thread.

Plus, how on earth will AV end 'jobs for life', as claimed at the end.

What a load of rubbish. Thankfully, the video is so cringeworthy in its shouty nature and holier-than-thou slant that there's no effing way any normal person will sit through that. I wouldn't if it were not for this thread.

Plus, how on earth will AV end 'jobs for life', as claimed at the end.

Precisely. Is this really the best the pro-AV lot can come up with?

I trust the British people can see through this pathetic reform proposal. Either reform something properly or don't reform at all.

Sadly I think too many people will vote "yes", as they don't understand and only want "change". I've even put some money on "yes" winning - sort of an insurance policy for me!

Both camps seem to be missing the point and coming up with irrelevant drivel.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter which system you use - you still have to vote for politicians, and that's something I find offensive.

I like AV because I was brought up in Australia where it is common place, and it stops the silly situation where votes are split between similar candidates.

But these adverts make me not want to bother.

Guest sillybear2

Labour 1997 - "no student top up fees".

Student top up fees introduced by Labour shortly after (when there was no threat of a bankrupt UK plc).

No doubt, NuLabour were a bunch of craven, duplicitous, lying f***rs but at least they couldn't blame anyone else for those broken promises and "compromises". They won an absolute majority and then proceeded to do the opposite of what they promised and generally f***d things up, they were responsible for what they did (and didn't) do so therefore have no excuse, it wasn't a Clegg/Cameron style hostage situation where they could spread the blame. (ok, it was a Brown/Blair shoot 'em out).

Let's face it, at the next election if you vote for the Libdems on the basis of their stated manifesto you might as well just play on a fruit machine or take part in some kind of lucky dip. Who knows what you will actually end up with?

They're all bought off at a more fundamental level anyway, the red/blue/yellow shell game is just an illusion to give people the impression they actually have some control over their lives. Those puppets all end doing quite nicely regardless of what football team party they pretend to support, that's why Jacqui Smith's ugly mug is all over the box, urgh.

Edited by sillybear2

Guest sillybear2

What system is being used for the AV voting?

I would assume first past the post?

:lol:

Have you seen the ballot?

-----

Do you want a new voting system?

Please rank the following options in order of preference :-

1. Yes, the change we need, right on!

2. Don't mind either way.

3. I can't read.

4. This is the only time I'm legally allowed to visit a school.

5. Bleh, I thought this was the pub.

6. No, f***k off.

7. Does the yes campaign match the colour of my football team?

8. I want free shiny things.

9. Can you walk me home, I think I'm lost.

10. Clegg is a b*****d.

What a childish advert.

And AV won't affect safe seats. :rolleyes: Loads of MPs are elected already by 50%+ in their constituencies. They won't be affected. AV affects marginal constituencies.

Not that the pro-AV lot can grasp such basic things.

What's a safe seat?

Turnout :- 59.7%

Surname Other Names Party Number of Votes

ALCOCK Mark Liberal Democrat 8193

GHAFOOR Kamran The Conservative Party Candidate 10151

JOINES David Paul British National Party 3049

MEACHER Michael Hugh The Labour Party Candidate 19503

MIAH Shahid Respect 627

ROBERTS Helen Uk Independence Party 1387

% of vote

Liberal Democrat 19.09345141

The Conservative Party Candidate 23.65649033

British National Party 7.105569797

The Labour Party Candidate 45.45094384

Respect 1.461197856

Uk Independence Party 3.232346772

I'd consider this area a pretty safe labour bet.

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/council/elections/election-results/2010_may_election_results.htm

Would it make a difference? I suspect not - but how fair is the current system?

Safe seat? Try mine (Ludlow):

Mr Philip Dunne (Tory) 52.8%

Any difference under AV? No. But just north of me is Shrewsbury & Atcham.

Tory 43.9%

Lib 29.0%

Lab 20.6%

Any difference under AV? Quite possibly.

AV affects marginals. Not safe seats. And yet the pro-AV advert says the opposite... numpties.

Edited by Mr Deflation

Guest sillybear2

So will prisoners/labour politicians be allowed to take part in this referendum? ;)

I think the Yes2Av advert may have been made by the opposite side.

Or perhaps there is only one side.

Guest sillybear2

I think the Yes2Av advert may have been made by the opposite side.

Or perhaps there is only one side.

There is no side, it's spherical.

Where's Injin?