House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
snowflux

I've Been Served A Section 21

My landlady, who I never met - I always dealt with her daughter and the letting agency, died a couple of months ago. Now her children want their inheritance and I've been served a Section 21 notice to vacate.

However, the notice is in the name of my late landlady. Is this valid? She cannot possibly have instructed the letting agency to serve notice unless they're very adept with a Ouija board!

Do I have to accept this notice?

Edited by snowflux

My landlady, who I never met - I always dealt with her daughter and the letting agency, died a couple of months ago. Now her children want their inheritance and I've been served a Section 21 notice to vacate.

However, the notice is in the name of my late landlady. Is this valid? She cannot possibly have instructed the letting agency to serve notice unless they're very adept with a Ouija board!

Do I have to accept this notice?

Are you serious?

Why go down that road? You're only putting things off, they will inevitably get you out of there in time, whatever the legality of that document(They may have got power of attorney before she died). Unless you want to allow your kids to finish the school year or something you might as well crack on and move.

Are you serious?

Why go down that road? You're only putting things off, they will inevitably get you out of there in time, whatever the legality of that document(They may have got power of attorney before she died). Unless you want to allow your kids to finish the school year or something you might as well crack on and move.

Yes, I know I'll have to go eventually. However, rentals are in rather short supply round here, and I was wondering if I could buy myself a little more time to find one similarly close to my son's school.

Also, surely the power of attorney is only valid for a living person. The affairs of the deceased are generally handled by the executor of the will, I thought. Shouldn't the name of the executor should be on the notice for it to be valid?

Yes, I know I'll have to go eventually. However, rentals are in rather short supply round here, and I was wondering if I could buy myself a little more time to find one similarly close to my son's school.

Also, surely the power of attorney is only valid for a living person. The affairs of the deceased are generally handled by the executor of the will, I thought. Shouldn't the name of the executor should be on the notice for it to be valid?

Beyond my knowhow, sorry.

My guess is you'll be able to buy a little time, at the expense of some acrimony.