House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tonkers

Ms Project

Another job skill blag for me.

I got up to speed on JIRA last week, is MS Project very different or is it just like most project management software?

Looked at tutorials and it doesn't seem that complicated, if I am a whizz at MS Office Suite will it be intuitive?

The basics are pretty simple - however it can do pretty complex stuff too - I think - only ever used it for simple plans.

How about getting one of the MS project for dummies books to guide you through the basics ?

Just getting a trial version is proving to be a chore. Hmmmm. Every company is using different PM software so far, you can't know them all I guess :)

SAP stands for "Gee, they pay us this much to do this!"

Always jobs going for SAP even in recessions. Silly money in SAP. Getting training in it is difficult.

If you are permie and in your early 30s try and get on a SAP project for 24 months, then go contracting and retire at 50.

If you are permie and in your early 30s try and get on a SAP project for 24 months, then go contracting and retire at 50.

If you like being bored out of your mind that is.

(edit: note, I'm not talking abou the 'retire' part!)

So, I need to know how to manage a bunch of techie divas regardless of the software. *oils whip*

SAP stands for "Gee, they pay us this much to do this!"

Always jobs going for SAP even in recessions. Silly money in SAP. Getting training in it is difficult.

sounds good, I'll look online for free tution!!?

MS Project - what is it you asking for, is it a job that where you need to be proficient in MS Project or is it a Project Management job? MS Project is not going to make someone an able project manager; organisation, common sense, clear thinking, top-notch business communication and soft-skills, and an appreciate of business risk versus reward does that. MS Project will help someone plan a project and track dependancies - thats about it in 99% of cases. Its a bit like how MS Visio can do entity relationship design and biztalk design, but thats not how it is used, it makes pretty diagrams 99% of the time (class modelling aside, which is cool).

SAP - biggest racket I have ever encountered in my life. Spent last two days bat and balling with a SAP technical consultant (ftse 250 company) incapable of writing an insert statement in SAP Basis ABAP programme. I'm so impressed with this racket I am making it my life mission to get some of that action. But ffs - look up sap in the dictionary, and it will say "closed shop - it has just cost £800 quid to read this sentance." I really could go on and on about that one...

It's the project management skills they want, which I have previously done on the tools available (white boards, excel, written statements and specs). I have had a look at various project management software packages, liking JIRA and Liquid Planner the best at the moment for usefulness. Previously I have built my own business management systems with Filemaker Pro.

The biggest difficulty is getting everyone in the organisation to use and update the system, at my last company it was me who discontinued using FogBugz as it became a repository for work not to do, the boring bug fixes (it was a really bad tech team).

In an SME white boards still rule as everyone in the company can see what the techs have/have not done and it cut their buck passing to zero (ie no-one told me, I didn't see it).

The Indian tech team I worked with were happy with excel schedules and were good at sticking to them and updating them.

From my interviews it has appeared that my soft skills and industry/tech knowledge are key but I do have to start working up some large project management processes to industry standard that I would have done had I been in a more professional environment last time (willing to invest). At the moment it is all in my head and I am falling down on it. If anyone has opinions on this I would be really pleased to hear them. particularly what an IT team likes/dislikes.

I had a quick look at SAP, not seen it in any job descriptions yet...

Ive recently downloaded 'project in a box'. Its based on the PRINCE2 methodology so it makes sense to know about this first but it does have the potential to be a repository for unfinishe work as you said earlier.

I work in very small SMEs and start ups so PRINCE2 is a bit big and cumbersome for my work though one of the Principles of P|RINCE is that it is scalable (debatable)

It also ha the Atern/Agile framework which is meant to be more agile but Im not familiar with the framework.

This is the community editiion by the way and therefore free. If you like it you can upgrade to a coupl eo f other versions