House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ayatollah Buggeri

Gbagbo Gbagged

I say 0.5 because Nasty Nic now finds himself the not-so-proud owner of one old-school despot straight out of a Freddie Forsyth novel. Quote from the Indie's coverage:

A diplomatic offensive was under way to distance France from the arrest of the man who has accused the former colonial power of leading an international plot to oust him. "There wasn't one single French soldier at the residence of Laurent Gbagbo," Frederic Daguillon, the spokesman for the French forces in Abidjan, said. But minutes earlier an aide to Mr Ouattara told The Independent that Mr Gbagbo had been "handed over by the French to the legitimate government".

Could this shape up to be Sarkozy's Afghanistan? It has all the ingredients of a major headache for him, I'd speculate. Guardian-reading types throughout the western world (Guardian-reading types being about the only ones who'd ever heard of Gbagbo before his last stand) had been calling for Gbagbo to be gbooted out for a while now, but I'm guessing that they weren't so keen on the deed being done in a matter that evokes memories of the Battle of Algiers. And even if we reject Gbagbo's claim that the election was rigged, well over the third of the population still voted for him: quite enough to keep a civil war simmering away nicely for the next decade or two. And then there's the question of what to do with him. If he actually is (or has already been) handed over to the Ouwattamess camp, he may well meet an highly unpleasant demise, of the sort that involves a pair of pliers and a blowtorch, which again would not be a flattering demonstration of Francophone diplomacy. Discuss...

I say 0.5 because Nasty Nic now finds himself the not-so-proud owner of one old-school despot straight out of a Freddie Forsyth novel.

Gbagbo lost an election but stayed on in government. Now who does that remind me of?

(anyone else notice the pronunciation of his name? All the western speakers make a meal of the two Gs, but on the rare occasions they interview an Ivorian the Gs are silent: "Babu").

The first time I saw his name mentioned in print, it was spelt Bugbo. That had then morphed into Bagbo a week later. Shortly after that, someone The Now Show quipped that Bagbo sounded like something out of a Tolkien novel, and wondered if he had an army of orks to keep the other bloke out. Presumably this precipitated a frenzy of politically correct self-flagellation at Auntie Beeb, as the Beano-style leading G appeared shortly thereafter, and now appears to have become the standard spelling.