House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Milton

Bought A Fake Item Off Ebay.

I'm flabbergasted by this, and I wanted to share it with the forum:

I recently bought a Brand New [Respected Manufacturer] USB stick off Ebay. The seller had very good feedback. Had sold hundreds upon hundreds of these.

Looked perfect, but seemed a little twitchy, as I was having to download and fill it lots of times. To transfer data from one PC to another.

So I Emailed the respected manufacturer, who asked for photo's of the metal protruding end.

They then confirmed it was a fake.

What flabbergasts me, is that the manufacturer have informed me that they will tell Ebay, who will tell the seller to stop selling them. He will barely receive a slap on the wrist. And he may just continue selling them.

However, not Ebay, The manufacturer or the seller will be under any duty to inform or refund the hundreds and hundreds of people who have bought these fake USB Sticks.

So Ebay, [and paypal] have made profits from Fraud, Theft, and Counterfitting.

As has the Ebay seller. Both of whom will walk away scott free. With said profits.

It beggars belief.

I am now going to conduct an experiment, to show how utterly useless and incompetent our Trading Standards, and Office of Fair Trading are.

I am going to report all of them. And I bet nobody does anything about it...........

We should all be raising our kids and explaining to them that theft fraud and lying is the way to get ahead in this country. [Or sending them to private schools]

With the MP's at the top of the sh1tpile.

Why would ebay care? Ebay is getting its cut from each sale why would it want to rock the boat?

I suspect a significant part of Ebays profits come from a 'black market' economy. Frauds and Counterfit's.

The system seems set up to encourage and allow it.

Dispute the transaction in paypal and reverse the payment. Paypal is massively on the side of the buyer, as long as you are reasonably quick.

On a similar vein, the police don't give two hoots about stolen gear on eBay.

Dispute the transaction in paypal and reverse the payment. Paypal is massively on the side of the buyer, as long as you are reasonably quick.

On a similar vein, the police don't give two hoots about stolen gear on eBay.

The seller has told me that he bought thousands in good faith. And I suspect he will automatically offer a refund to me. He seems ok.

He could be lying, of course, and just realise that there is massive profitability in selling fake goods on ebay. And a complete lack of accountability if discovered.

But that's not the point.

Was this significantly cheaper than you'd expect to buy a kosher one for? If so, it's a case of getting what you pay for. Give they guy negative feedback and write 'Item was a counterfeit' in the comment line. If enough people do that, it'll put a stop to him more quickly than the authorities could.

Unless there's a danger to public health or safety involved (e.g. someone selling fake car parts that could cause a crash), or the counterfeiter is trying to sell the things at the same price as the genuine article, that is about as close to a victimless crime as it's possible to get. A few years ago I bought a Chinese ripoff fake watch of a well known European brand for £15 at a stall in York Market. I hardly ever wear a watch (they make my wrist ache) and just wanted something for the rare occasions when one would be useful. It looks pretty convincing from a distance, but I wasn't born yesterday and know that the genuine article goes for around that price with a zero on the end. It is reasonably reliable (when I reset it when the clocks went forward, I discovered that it had gained around two minutes in the last six months - perfectly acceptable IMO), and I can leave it lying around in hotel rooms, my flat etc. secure in the knowledge that if anyone should help themselves to it, I've only lost £15.

Likewise, if your USB stick cost significantly less than a brand name one and does the job it's supposed to, what's the problem?

You are missing the point.

Point being. No-one has any responsibility to pay back the hundreds of consumers who thought they were buying a genuine product. The loss or corruption of data is a serious issue ayatollah. It does not work properly.

I saved about a third of what It would cost buying from Amazon. [but it was an auction, not BIN, so could have cost me more]

What gets me is that you would think The manufacturer would inform Trading Standards. As I have done.

Apparently each trading standards officer conducts an investigation as they see fit, and they do not have to inform anyone of the progress or the outcome of the case.

So they can do as little or as much as they would like. And nobody knows what they have done. If anything. That seems a bit eastern block to me.

My impression of ebay since its inception has been "new age car boot sale".

I know a lot of people love it.. personally I stay well clear. I'm sure thieves find it a god-send.

I bought a fake Sony memory stick for a camcorder, it works but the camcorder seems to know it isn't quite right as an error message pops up. It was a fraction of the price of a real one, so I had a feeling that it might not be genuine. This was from Amazon marketplace. I tend to think it is a case of you get what you pay for, but I agree that ebay are scum that knowingly profit from the sale of counterfeit goods and seem pretty slack about investigating frauds (a friend got stung for £500 for a CDJ).

A good friend of mine went on holiday in the uk a few years ago to something like Butlins/Parkdean or Haven. Anyway his kids pestered him to buy the latest on site entertainment dvd which included all the company mascots singing and dancing to the latest tunes. Cost him £15.99.. :o

He decided to burn copies and sell on ebay. Quite openly stated that these were copies but of the highest quality and packaging would be a plastic sleeve. This went on for a year and he made thousands. He was then reported by someone and ebay asked him to knock it on the head. He agreed to stop immediately and that was that.

I was shocked that all they could do was ask him to stop. He was open about selling copies but in reality parents were more than happy with the quality and saved £10 a pop. One person complained, not about quality but about the morals of it all.

Too stressful for me :D

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/FAKE-SanDisk-Ultra-Secure-Digital-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001254881

Here's a review.....

What to do if I have acquired a counterfeit item! Who is responsible?

Selling counterfeit items deceiving as genuine is considered as FRAUD, not merely a simple mistake. It is seller's sole responsibility. Consumer protection laws are designed to protect all consumers, the gullible as well as the shrewd. The fact that a false statement may be obviously false to those who are trained and experienced does not change its character or take away its power to deceive others less experienced. Our consumer protection laws were enacted for the protection of the people, many who are trusting and naive about the wolves of the business world who come dressed in lambs' clothing.

Counterfeit items are NOT covered by genuine manufacturer's LIFETIME warranty. If your item is from high volume sellers, don't be left ALONE in the battle, kindly advise and encourage all buyers in same situation as you are to take action.

How to get full refund and how to expose fraudulent eBay sellers?

Check if the seller is still actively listing the same counterfeit items today!

After confirming receiving counterfeit item, please follow eBay guideline to contact seller to obtain full refund from seller. However if you are NOT telling PayPal/eBay about this problem, you are NOT assisting the process of exposing counterfeit sellers.

Many counterfeit sellers are willing to provide full refund, only if they get caught by you, if you did not catch them, they are laughing their way to the bank. So it is STRONGLY recommended that you must always file a report to PayPal/eBay by completing the Item Not Received or Significantly Not as Described process dispute after 10 days of item closing date so they are alerted of the development of fraudulent transaction and seller's BAD record will be permanently written in PayPal/eBay dispute system. If you have paid by Paypal, completing the Paypal Buyer Complaint Process to obtain full refund from Paypal within 45 days. Effectively you will get your money back either from the seller or from Paypal. Most important by going through the PayPal/eBay reporting procedure, you have assisted the process of exposing fraudulent sellers on eBay.

Since you have NOT been provided with what you have paid for, it does not falls into seller's return policy of faulty product so that they can get away for you to return the fakes at your own cost. Counterfeit is FRAUD, do not settle with the seller unless the seller is paying for all the associated return shipping cost of the item. You are covered by the 90 days protection period under eBay Standard Purchase Protection Program.

In many countries it is actually ILLEGAL to post counterfeit merchandise by mail or by commercial carrier, if the merchandise is being discovered by your local Customs, they will be confiscated with HEAVY FINE to both sender and recipient. If PayPal / eBay seriously wants you to ship the counterfeit items back to sellers before offering a refund to you, you should seriously bring the LAW to their full attention.

You still own the right to provide negative feedback against the seller to alert the fraudulent situation to warn other eBay buyers to uphold the eBay values and community spirit. Provided that you have provided negative feedback to the seller and if subsequently the seller provides you with an unfair retaliatory negative feedback, you have a case to lodge against the seller by requesting eBay for feedback removal to fully protect your feedback.

Beware that intentional wrong feedback extortion tactic is on the increase where you will receive a "positive comment/feedback in writing" but then it was purposely selected as red negative. Sellers are using this tactic so it would make you to believe that he has carelessly chosen the wrong feedback radio-button so that you would agree to mutually to retract the negative feedback you have provided him earlier in order to hide all his past BAD ratings. They have sold you a counterfeit, so don't fall into his feedback trap the second time.

In most countries, FRAUD is a CRIMINAL offense and injunctions may be brought against the fraudsters to prevent them from moving on under a different name after being banned. Thus, you may choose to contact your law enforcement agencies or each respective brand manufacturers in your region, to report counterfeit and provide them with your item detail and the source of the item, seller's address and contact phone number.

Why eBay did not put a full stop to all these fraudulent activities?

We have been informed that eBay will NOT act unless the trademark owner (SanDisk, Sony, Kingston) contacts them. All buyers report to eBay hoping that the sellers receive permanent suspension for supplying counterfeits are in vain. eBay will ONLY act if directed to do so by your local law enforcement agency or the rightful trademark owner under eBay’s VeRO program.

You must file a complaint to your local government agency (in Australia is the Department of Fair Trading) about your seller. When increasing amount of fake reports are received daily by the government agency, pressure will accumulate and more heat will be generated. When there is enough pressure and momentum, something will eventually be done as such government agencies are obliged to act against eBay's unguarded open web channel of allowing high influx of fraudulent items into each country's public marketplace, directly from overseas.

I recently bought a Brand New [Respected Manufacturer] USB stick off Ebay. The seller had very good feedback. Had sold hundreds upon hundreds of these.

Looked perfect, but seemed a little twitchy, as I was having to download and fill it lots of times. To transfer data from one PC to another.

So I Emailed the respected manufacturer, who asked for photo's of the metal protruding end.

What flabbergasts me, is that the manufacturer have informed me that they will tell Ebay, who will tell the seller to stop selling them. He will barely receive a slap on the wrist. And he may just continue selling them.

However, not Ebay, The manufacturer or the seller will be under any duty to inform or refund the hundreds and hundreds of people who have bought these fake USB Sticks.

As has the Ebay seller. Both of whom will walk away scott free. With said profits.

It beggars belief.

I am now going to conduct an experiment, to show how utterly useless and incompetent our Trading Standards, and Office of Fair Trading are.

I am going to report all of them. And I bet nobody does anything about it...........

We should all be raising our kids and explaining to them that theft fraud and lying is the way to get ahead in this country. [Or sending them to private schools]

Dan, you do talk utter rubbish.

It beggars belief.

Don't complain to EBay or the police (:rolleyes: ) - complain directly to the Respected Manufacturer if you want someone to do something about it.

Don't complain to EBay or the police (:rolleyes: ) - complain directly to the Respected Manufacturer if you want someone to do something about it.

+1

My OH works for a technology company and there is a weekly counterfeit list that gets updated and anyone can add to it. This list gets sent on to the in-house team of lawyers. They don't mess around either offering out cease and desist letters and where eBay is involved they co-operate and always shut the traders down within minutes to avoid being subject to a writ themselves.

Tomposh, Sherwick, re-read the post.

As stated I did inform the manufacturer.....

They were the ones who told me it was fake.

Dan, you do talk utter rubbish.

Miyagi. Im rapidly coming to the conclusion that you work for an ombundsman, or similiar?

As I posted something derogatory about Trading Standards/ OFT yesterday, and you replied, 'this is wrong'

I asked you why it was wrong, and you did not respond.

Is that because all you are fit for is trolling comments.....?

Maybe this time you would care to explain why I talk utter rubbish?

***Just Had a glance at your posts. Your constantly posting information about statutes. Offences etc. [Nothing original or interesting]

You are arent you? A trading standards officer, or similiar? .....Lol

You are missing the point.

Point being. No-one has any responsibility to pay back the hundreds of consumers who thought they were buying a genuine product.

You are missing mine, which is that if the product they bought was significantly cheaper than they would expect to pay for the brand name product at a typical retailer, they should reasonably have known that it was a fake.

The loss or corruption of data is a serious issue ayatollah.

Which is why anyone who does not want to lose their data keeps multiple copies on different media and in different physical locations. It is also why the small print of the warranty, even on genuine branded media, states that their liability is limited to replacing the media.

I saved about a third of what It would cost buying from Amazon.

So how can he sell it for 33% less than anyone else can and still stay in business? Only if it's either stolen or fake, and it would take someone very naive not to realise this.

Tomposh, Sherwood, re-read the post.

As stated I did inform the manufacturer.....

They were the ones who told me it was fake.

My apologies.

You are missing mine, which is that if the product they bought was significantly cheaper than they would expect to pay for the brand name product at a typical retailer, they should reasonably have known that it was a fake. Which is why anyone who does not want to lose their data keeps multiple copies on different media and in different physical locations. It is also why the small print of the warranty, even on genuine branded media, states that their liability is limited to replacing the media.

So how can he sell it for 33% less than anyone else can and still stay in business? Only if it's either stolen or fake, and it would take someone very naive not to realise this.

What the hell are you babbling on about?

Miyagi. Im rapidly coming to the conclusion that you work for an ombundsman, or similiar?

As I posted something derogatory about Trading Standards/ OFT yesterday, and you replied, 'this is wrong'

I asked you why it was wrong, and you did not respond.

Is that because all you are fit for is trolling comments.....?

Maybe this time you would care to explain why I talk utter rubbish?

***Just Had a glance at your posts. Your constantly posting information about statutes. Offences etc. [Nothing original or interesting]

You are arent you? A trading standards officer, or similiar? .....Lol

Good guess, you are correct. That's why I'm qualified to say you talk complete nonsense.

Just think yourself lucky it was only a USB stick.

And not a £1,000 Swiss watch, a critical auto part or anything edible.

Agree, I reported a shed load of fake Hublots/Breitling navitimers, most times they didnt do anything about it, so I dont bother anymore. I've seen countless people burned by this, its a scammers paradise.

Good guess, you are correct.

Thought so. Just remember I pay your wages sunshine........:)

Now maybe you would care to explain what in my original post was utter rubbish?