House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Particle Physics Shocker

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13000253

It doesn't look like this is confirmed yet, but they have acquired the data to analyse it, so should be yeah or nay within a few weeks.

The interesting thing for me is that if this is confirmed it could trash the whole idea of the Higgs.

Now that's pretty exciting, but as I said on one of these threads before about particle physics destroying the world, a little bit worrying.

After all, if they got the Higgs so wrong, who knows whether their calcs on whether they are going to create a mini black hole that will destroy the world are wrong as well ?

The only thing shocking will be if you ever hear another word about this other than to say it was a false alarm

They like to spew this kind of tale out every now and then in order to justify their quite gargantuan research budget

The only thing shocking will be if you ever hear another word about this other than to say it was a false alarm

They like to spew this kind of tale out every now and then in order to justify their quite gargantuan research budget

What is anti-matter?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13000253

It doesn't look like this is confirmed yet, but they have acquired the data to analyse it, so should be yeah or nay within a few weeks.

The interesting thing for me is that if this is confirmed it could trash the whole idea of the Higgs.

Now that's pretty exciting, but as I said on one of these threads before about particle physics destroying the world, a little bit worrying.

After all, if they got the Higgs so wrong, who knows whether their calcs on whether they are going to create a mini black hole that will destroy the world are wrong as well ?

I wouldn't be too worried about the black hole thing - far higher energy collisions happen about 70 million times a day in the upper atmosphere and yet we're still here.

I don't know - they probably think they're good for a while after inventing the web.

I wouldn't be too worried about the black hole thing - far higher energy collisions happen about 70 million times a day in the upper atmosphere and yet we're still here.

It's hard to refute the fact that there is probably nowhere in the universe (vast that it is) where particles are made to collide under exactly the same conditions as at the LHC.

I think the formation of something nasty is unlikely. But I think that Rees view (I think it was his) was that something very unlikely x of very serious consequence should be considered carefully.

Personally I think the LHC is a good thing. But I think the way experiments are conducted is a little reckless. I would prefer that they run at low energies, evaluate what they learn and the consequences of it before increasing the energy incrementally, rather than ramping it up in big lumps.

This news comes from Fermilab, which is to some degree in competition with the LHC. It's unusual for them to make such a fuss at an early stage, but I suspect that they are releasing preliminary results becuase a) they hope their funding will be resurrected/continue and B) that they want to announce something before the LHC gets there first.

As they guy in the article says, there is still a reasonable chance that this will be a false alarm.

I wonder what they will call the new particle. I'd vote for something like "Bob".

This particle, if confirmed, is possibly one that was predicted, although the idea was not given as much credence as the Higgs boson theory. It is provisionally called 'technicolor'.

Last summer there were rumours (denied) that Fermilab had found the Higgs boson. It looks like this is what they found.

If confirmed, the news will be sensational in the world of science, as it implies there is a fifth force of nature. The Tevatron will have beaten the LHC for a Nobel prize, I expect.

Expect a future Horizon program with out-of focus sparks and stuff as some TV Tristram tries to explain it all badly to the proles.