House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Mobile Phone Users 'overpaying By £200' Per Year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12996175

Three-quarters of mobile phone subscribers are wasting an average of nearly £200 a year because they are on the wrong contract, research suggests.

People over-estimating how many minutes they would spend on the phone was the main reason, with most using just a quarter of their monthly allowance.

Researchers concluded that the UK's mobile phone users were wasting nearly £5bn a year on misjudged contracts.

Mathematical group Billmonitor analysed more than 28,000 bills for the study.

The Oxford-based business looked at data of customers of all the main networks, except 3.

'Bill shock'

Its research suggested that mobile phone users were sending an average of 300 texts a month.

It also found customers had doubled their use of data in a year, as they surfed the web on smartphones.

The average person spent £439 a year on their mobile phone.

What doesn't appear to be mentioned in the study is how many people are on a high tariff because that tariff came with the phone they wanted?

I think this really needs more work, unless the Beeb has just omitted some key points from it's article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12996175

What doesn't appear to be mentioned in the study is how many people are on a high tariff because that tariff came with the phone they wanted?

I think this really needs more work, unless the Beeb has just omitted some key points from it's article.

Does the tariff in the report include the subsidy for the phone itself? Because that £200 'extra' that is not being spent on calls / texts / data is around about the amount I would expect the phone to cost. (Or over a 2-year, contract, ~£400 is near the cost of an iPhone for example.)

It looks more like the BBC reporting badly on a report with lots of statistics in it.

Does the tariff in the report include the subsidy for the phone itself? Because that £200 'extra' that is not being spent on calls / texts / data is around about the amount I would expect the phone to cost. (Or over a 2-year, contract, ~£400 is near the cost of an iPhone for example.)

It looks more like the BBC reporting badly on a report with lots of statistics in it.

yikes. I've never had a 'phone contract that cost £200/year. Where do people get the money?

BBC were saying that most people pay for 600 minutes and only use a third of it.

That sounds like me..... but, I pay £15 per month (with Vodafone who I find have the best coverage) for 600 minutes + unlimited texts + unlimited Internet. I rarely use more than 100 minutes and 10 texts, but I often use a couple of Gb of data. Seems like a good deal to me.

ahh but are all the people on the mega tarrif, downgrading to a cheaper tarriff after 9 months (Im pretty sure you can do this after 9 months on 02, not sure about others)?

Go payg sim-only with Tesco, providing you can afford the handset you want up front. That way you are not stuck in a 2-year contract, can ditch the phone on ebay and get most of your money back if you don't like it and overall your running costs over the period of owning the phone will be substantially lower.

Currently they do:

250 mins, 500Mb data, 5000 texts per month for, drum roll....

10 quid.

And you can cancel with a months notice.

Your average pleb just goes in to the phone shop, can't afford a new handset at 200 quid cos he's up to the eyes in debt, so takes a £35/month deal on a phone he hasn't used yet and signs his life away for 2 years.

Says someone with a shiny new phone?

Almost certainly if they didn't wave a shiny new phone at you then would you really bother with a phone contract - or if you don't upgrade your phone can you go on a similar package for less money?

A phone with more gizmos and gadgets on is more likely to encourage you to stay using that package?

Says someone with a shiny new phone?

Almost certainly if they didn't wave a shiny new phone at you then would you really bother with a phone contract - or if you don't upgrade your phone can you go on a similar package for less money?

A phone with more gizmos and gadgets on is more likely to encourage you to stay using that package?

Er, not really. I bought my own phone last year and it was the latest Android one at the time, but I just have a simple PAYG sim.

I was only reading between the lines of the numbers the BBC had quoted. It's no secret that the monthly tariffs include the cost of the phone as part of the package.

I think the real problem is BT charging for a poor substandard service. The 3G providers have pulled out all the stops to actually bring in high speed broadband to the UK, while those pillocks at BT have done fook all.

So 3G PAYG broadband here. Three.co.uk, 5 Mbps Down 1.25 Mbps Up. BT (fixed line broadband) less than 1 Mbit/s Down and about 300 kbps up). And no I don't live in the sticks, and only a mile or two from the so called 21CN enabled "exchange."

There should be an investigation into WTF BT have been doing all these years, their blatent miss selling and misleading blanket advertising on all media outlets, telling people how fast they are when a carrier pidgeon would be faster than BT!! I only signed up because I was assured 4Mbps broadband.

Yes the 3G data transfer rates are high, but as I only use 10GB a month easily paid for when I cancel my BT fixed line and broadband. BT's business model is finished from what I can see.

Edited by Sir John Steed

Almost certainly if they didn't wave a shiny new phone at you then would you really bother with a phone contract - or if you don't upgrade your phone can you go on a similar package for less money?A phone with more gizmos and gadgets on is more likely to encourage you to stay using that package?

Last time around I got a 60% discount on what I had previously been paying AND a new phone with the few gizmos/gadgets I wanted.

Maybe this was because I was previously paying well over the odds, maybe because I'd not switched for years so was worth keeping, maybe because I'd been out of contract for a couple of years, or maybe because I use the thing as a phone not an internet browser. :)

The BBC just cut and pasted the same press release that everybody else did :-(

tim