House Price Crash Forum

New Wave Engine 60% Efficiency

ken_ichikawa

HOLA441

Since HPC is filled with engineering and physics type people MSN has described a new wave type engine which looks like a rip off of the rotary engine.

It claims to be 60% efficient when tied to an electric motor and rather than being a normal engine connected to the wheels generates electricity for the electric motors.

Discuss (yes I know if it becomes common petrol will easily be £3 a litre in tax purely to compensate for the lost revenue under an environmentalism drive which is ironic because if this was 60% efficient it would reduce emissions markedly!)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42460541/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/

HOLA442

Im not an engineer engineer but this is my thoughts:

Its a turbine, the prototype he is waving around looks like it would never work. I thinking what happens when the fuel ignights, the fuel needs to push the fan in some way and to do that it needs to push against something an I couldn't see an ignition chamber or a valve to seal the chamber.... However this picture makes more sense...

http://www.physorg.c...type-video.html

wave-disk.jpg

There are two combustion chambers, but just imagine there is one chamber B... fuel enters chamber b it combusts in some way, the spinning fan seals the chamber to stop gases escaping back up the inlet pipe on combustion. The gas can only enter the disk/fan so it pushes the fan clockwise. Because this is a fan this lowers the pressure in the combustion chamber B and more fuel is sucked in when the inlet is opened again, gas is combusted again When the fan spins.he high pressure gases inside the fan are released as the fan spins, and the process repeats and the fan spins at a constant speed. (hence the need to hook this up to a battery/dynamo)

My questions would be:

Seals? This is a spinning fan inside a chamber with repeated combustions and hot gasses. When the engine is hot how are you going to stop it expanding? Will the seals survive the onslaught?

What kind of damage will the blades suffer over time, they look like they may fail faster than a conventional engine.

Cooling and lubrication? This engine is going to get hot, which goes back to point A/Failure and my final pount

Which leads onto How efficient is this, less parts but is 60% of the energy really conserved, you are still igniting the fuel so lots will be lost to heat

Finally is it real or FUD, you would have to build it to find out

HOLA443
HOLA444

Im not an engineer engineer but this is my thoughts:

Its a turbine, the prototype he is waving around looks like it would never work. I thinking what happens when the fuel ignights, the fuel needs to push the fan in some way and to do that it needs to push against something an I couldn't see an ignition chamber or a valve to seal the chamber.... However this picture makes more sense...

http://www.physorg.c...type-video.html

wave-disk.jpg

There are two combustion chambers, but just imagine there is one chamber B... fuel enters chamber b it combusts in some way, the spinning fan seals the chamber to stop gases escaping back up the inlet pipe on combustion. The gas can only enter the disk/fan so it pushes the fan clockwise. Because this is a fan this lowers the pressure in the combustion chamber B and more fuel is sucked in when the inlet is opened again, gas is combusted again When the fan spins.he high pressure gases inside the fan are released as the fan spins, and the process repeats and the fan spins at a constant speed. (hence the need to hook this up to a battery/dynamo)

My questions would be:

Seals? This is a spinning fan inside a chamber with repeated combustions and hot gasses. When the engine is hot how are you going to stop it expanding? Will the seals survive the onslaught?

What kind of damage will the blades suffer over time, they look like they may fail faster than a conventional engine.

Cooling and lubrication? This engine is going to get hot, which goes back to point A/Failure and my final pount

Which leads onto How efficient is this, less parts but is 60% of the energy really conserved, you are still igniting the fuel so lots will be lost to heat

Finally is it real or FUD, you would have to build it to find out

They claim to have built a working prototype.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Maybe good in a hybrid at an optimum speed getting 3-5 times the range for the same fuel.

Problem I can see is as you increase miles travelled for each gallon the distance people drive stays about the same.

I keep on posting this but

10,000 miles @ £1.30 a liter,

50mpg £1,181.98

60mpg £984.99

80mpg £738.74

100mpg £590.99

150mpg £393.99

This looks like it's designed more for electric cars than current hybrids , an oil hybrid.

HOLA447

Archived