House Price Crash Forum
200p

Burglaries Increasing

They have never received such a letter in recent years. Bolt the door and hold onto to your shot gun, it's getting rough out there.

---

I am writing to make you aware of a burglary from the early hours of this morning at a house on ******** Road.

Over the last few weeks we have seen an increasing trend for burglaries across ********* involving UPVC front doors.

The method of entry through these doors has only been effective when the front door hasn’t been double locked (i.e. locked with a key as well as lifting the door handle.)

The offenders simply slip a tool in between the door and frame and pop the door open.

It seems obvious that if the doors were double locked then this would make entry harder. We have had cases this week where the occupants have been asleep upstairs whilst the door is popped open and their address burgled. This proves just how quickly and quietly the door can be popped open without leaving damage to the font door.

Please ensure that you keep all doors and windows locked and remain vigilent of suspicious persons loitering around your road.

Hampshire Constabulary

8th April 2011

In the last week alone 4 houses burgled on our estate plus break inns at 3 local sports clubs causing thousands of pound damage as well as the lost TVs money stock etc, the local Leeds paper YEP is listing them daily, it really is on the verge of getting out of control even with the Local community police on their bikes.

Edited by papag

Just google: lock bumping. Its scary how easy it is to get through a standard upvc door.

This advert for a lock company shows lock snapping also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-l5mTQuZEc

Trust me, this is a piece of cake.

Thankfully the guy whose property I intended to gain entry to is now, as a result of an exchange of emails and phone calls, on my side and I no longer need to risk arrest.

This guy is in possession of evidence that incriminates a certain antipodean gentleman in all manner of multi-million dollar international crime.

Funnily enough it turns out this guy and I were shafted by the same Aussie ******* so he's now happy to share the evidence with me. Visit to Mumbai next week shall doubtless be a rollercoaster of one revelation after another. I hope the mother burns.

PS feather light touch on the tension wrench works best.

Edited by Dave Spart

So you've had a run in with Murdoch too?

No-one quite so big, but if in the course of my enquiries I should uncover such evidence on Murdoch HPC shall be the first to know.

Ironic you should mention Murdoch, the movie 'City of Ember' is on TV here in Singapore right now - and that's all about a corrupt elite keeping the masses in the dark!

Doncaster 1 Cardiff 3 - fantastic!

Edited by Dave Spart

Their door must be locked on the inside anyway. I know the kinds of doors that can be opened from the inside without a key (the theif just sticks his hand into the letterbox to operate the door handle). Theirs is not of that type. They also have a chain, and dead bolt locks also fitted.

Edited by Money Spinner

Trust me, this is a piece of cake.

Well, unless your a junkie which most of these are done by. Now lock snapping, that is the normal way of doing it. That letter didn't add up to much really "dear muppets, your door has 9 locking points and you choose to use none of them"

I fitted anti snap euro locks with some gunge to stop bumping, real anti bump lock costs an arm and a leg.

PVC door?

What's wrong with wood?

Wood rots, I remember my dad's house he replaced doors every 4-8 years. Also wood doors due to the grain of the wood are easier to kick in or for when the police come and batter it down for your gold stash.

PVC door?

What's wrong with wood?

Our son and his wife have a wooden door with a yale and bottom lock which they never bothered using. They were coming home for a quote from repair man but were a bit late. As they arrived he was just letting himself out having put his hand through the letterbox to open the yale.

They have used the bottom lock ever since.

Wood rots, I remember my dad's house he replaced doors every 4-8 years. Also wood doors due to the grain of the wood are easier to kick in or for when the police come and batter it down for your gold stash.

Rots? Had the same wooden door on our house for more than 20 years. Not rotting. Solid, 2 inch thich wood of good quality (with dead-bolts).

PVC door?

What's wrong with wood?

I live in quite a remote area, we have been used to not locking doors and windows for years. About two years ago I had my workshop which is within the grounds nearly broken into, luckily I disturbed said chavs so they didn't manage to actually get in (broke the mortice lock and one of the hasp and staples) I was bloody livid for weeks, no interest whatsoever from plod even though I rang them immediately and said I had disturbed them so they wouldn't be far away, advice given was to ring again if they came back????. I sat behind a hedge for 3 hours with me naughty stick awaiting a return (wow I hoped so at the time) That week I installed a battery operated fence energiser to the door handle, kicked out 7,800 volts :o plenty to ensure at the very least a good old yelp and much singeing of hair. Never knew if it actually caught someone out, but I disconnected it a few weeks later after forgetting it was on and being fried at least twice myself. :(

Happened to us about 3 years ago. Upstair asleep, and woken by a noise.

Thought is was our one year old rolling over in his cot. Then another louder noise and I was out of bed like a shot.

Luckily the scum didn't get through an inner door, and had legged it by the time I got downstairs.

Happened to us about 3 years ago. Upstair asleep, and woken by a noise.

Thought is was our one year old rolling over in his cot. Then another louder noise and I was out of bed like a shot.

Luckily the scum didn't get through an inner door, and had legged it by the time I got downstairs.

A naughty stick is the way to go these days unless you have a shotgun, don't rely to heavily on plod to coming to the rescue, there's more than likely only a handful covering the entire county at night. Good locks on doors and windows should pass the chav onto the next house or road, 12 stone Rotti's also serve the purpose.

About 6 months ago was asleep in bed, they booted the back door in, made a loud noise but i thought it was next door as he was drinking. They took the 32" tv. A police patrol car seen them walking down the road with it at 1.30 in the morning.

Well, unless your a junkie which most of these are done by. Now lock snapping, that is the normal way of doing it.

You seem to know a lot about that.

Anyway, by snapping you are giving away the fact someone has had a go at the lock- because you've destroyed it. You'll gain access for sure but everyone will know it.

Picks will do the job well if you're patient and they leave practically no indication of entry*, precisely the kind of entry you need for covert work such as photographing evidence and leaving it undisturbed in situ, as in my case.

*The locksmith who taught me gets called from time to time to do forensic work on picked locks.

PS One day, just for a laugh he brought this locked safe into the classroom (the client had forgotten the combination), put it on the floor and knelt behind it. He rammed it forward pivoting it on its face's bottom edge. The door came open and he said, with a big grin and thick Brummy accent, "Solenoids!".

The rest of the class was aghast with disbelief!

http://www.safeopenings.com/

Edited by Dave Spart

Our gaff got turned over on Boxing Day. Part of a spate that began a few weeks before Christmas. Pretty senseless really, as they stuff the little sh1t pinched would have been more or less worthless to him, but some of it was of heightened personal value to the folk it was robbed from.

It shrinks/warps in hot weather and expands when damp?

Loads easier to fit functioning locks to.

Our house has the original 1897 front door. OK, there's a bit of a draft at the bottom, so we use a low-tech draught excluder.

The door also has a Yale lock (changed regularly), a mortice lock, two bolts and a security chain, all easily fitted.