House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Dodgy Popup On Here

Odd, I had it a few days ago. didnt think anything of it but...

i had a redirect yesterday but firefox stepped in and 'got me out of there'

Edited by p.p.

Odd, I had it a few days ago. didnt think anything of it but...

I had that yesterday, wasn't sure which site it was from though. Was it like a scare-ware firefox updating thing, saying you had lots of viruses?

I had it last time. I've since followed the advice given by several HPC posters to install the Adblock Plus add on for Firefox which might the reason it's not happened again.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

I was just about to advise on adblock plus. I never see these things at home. But at work on thurday I managed to pick up an annoying threatware (may have been from here, although I thought it was from a link on a share dealing site) which intercepted all exe launches (presumably to stop you getting online to find out how to remove it) and purported to be 'XP Internet Security 2011' and proceeded to tell me I had no antivirus or firewall active and a great many infections. Needless to say I had one infection but it took IT a day to rid what with thier incompetence.

I was just about to advise on adblock plus. I never see these things at home. But at work on thurday I managed to pick up an annoying threatware (may have been from here, although I thought it was from a link on a share dealing site) which intercepted all exe launches (presumably to stop you getting online to find out how to remove it) and purported to be 'XP Internet Security 2011' and proceeded to tell me I had no antivirus or firewall active and a great many infections. Needless to say I had one infection but it took IT a day to rid what with thier incompetence.

Use Firefox with NoScript free script blocker plug in...No IE 'cos it's $h1t, No Chrome 'cos it's Wac and no Opera 'cos it aint Firefox...never had any probs since installing NoScript.

Takes a while to get it to allow your most accessed sites but it's also interesting to see what scripts are getting blocked on pretty much all sites.

To remove these jarg scareware products, go to a machine which isn't infected and google rkill. This will take you to the bleepingcomputer site, download rkill in several forms, (exe, com etc) 'cos some malware will block exe's etc. Also download malwarebytes antimalware free product and the latest standalone definitions file. Go to your infected machine, reboot and hit and hold F8 key to get your boot menu, select "safe mode" and copy rkill from your other machine via USB pen or whatever and run it. Once that's finished install the malwarebytes anti malware product, MBAM.exe which you downloaded and install the definitions to the correct location, (google this) then perform a full system scan. This may take hours to complete but it will rid you of all that cr@p.

mspL4

Edited by mspL4

Use Firefox with NoScript free script blocker plug in...No IE 'cos it's $h1t, No Chrome 'cos it's Wac and no Opera 'cos it aint Firefox...never had any probs since installing NoScript.

Takes a while to get it to allow your most accessed sites but it's also interesting to see what scripts are getting blocked on pretty much all sites.

To remove these jarg scareware products, go to a machine which isn't infected and google rkill. This will take you to the bleepingcomputer site, download rkill in several forms, (exe, com etc) 'cos some malware will block exe's etc. Also download malwarebytes antimalware free product and the latest standalone definitions file. Go to your infected machine, reboot and hit and hold F8 key to get your boot menu, select "safe mode" and copy rkill from your other machine via USB pen or whatever and run it. Once that's finished install the malwarebytes anti malware product, MBAM.exe which you downloaded and install the definitions to the correct location, (google this) then perform a full system scan. This may take hours to complete but it will rid you of all that cr@p.

mspL4

I was so pleased when rkill cleaned my machine of this virus that I bought the Malwarebytes product. It was cheap and is regularly updated. I have had no problems since.

mspL4

...re Chrome ..what's 'Wac'...?