House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Hitchikers

Not done it or considered picking a stranger up. Possibly I might think differently if I spent all day driving by myself.

Anyway inspired by this post on the out-of-town shopping centre thread, am I missing out on part of life's rich tapestry?

okaycuckoo

Posted Today, 12:55 AM

Rownhams is a trap for petrol prices .

I stopped there a few weeks ago to drop off a tramp. I was filling up in Portsmouth when he approached me for a lift - he had two false legs, so I said yeah. When he got in the passenger seat I realised he smelled of piss. Stenchy. He was down from Scunthorpe for the match with Portsmouth the night before, and claimed he'd had a heart attack and just been released from hospital. He wanted to link up with a mysterious friend at Rownhams to make it back up north, so I drove the 35 miles with the window open as he droned on about his diabetes. When we got there he tried too hard levering his legs out of the car and something snapped: "Ooh, I just broke me plastic foot!" Good luck, I said, and sped off. Spent the rest of the journey listening to the obituaries program on radio 4.

That would suggest not, though it if nothing else it is indeed: memorable ;)

Picked up someone on a dual carriageway the other day, I took him a few miles down the road to where he could at least flag people down at a petrol station. Told me all about his life problems in the space of 5 minutes, I found it quite a fascinating experience to be honest.

I've hitchiked before in the states and thumbing it would take 2-3 minutes tops before someone would stop - managed to get half way up california in 98 doing just that. In the UK, I think we're a little more reserved to pick up just anyone.

Not done it or considered picking a stranger up. Possibly I might think differently if I spent all day driving by myself.

Don't worry Frank! After five minutes you will know all about them! After an hour, well, not strangers by then!

Yes I'm quite happy to give a lift to strangers!

Remember, I'm the nutter, not them! :blink:

Don't worry Frank! After five minutes you will know all about them! After an hour, well, not strangers by then!

You have a clear advantage over me there Mr Pin! :D

I lived in a place in NZ where hitching was so normal - one of my mates did it to get into town and back every day for work for about 3 months ! All depends where you are. Certain places hitching is seen as 'normal' and others it is seen as a bit strange.

If being picked up there are certain unwritten rules you should adhere to.

(1) What the driver wants to talk about goes.

(2) What the driver wants to talk about goes.

(3) What the driver wants to talk about goes.

If the driver wants to give you a lift coz he is bored/tired and needs to chat to keep themselves amused ? Then as the hitcher you respect this by becoming Mr Chatty. However if the driver makes it very clear within the first few minutes (One word answers) that he just wants to be nice and offer a lift - but isn't up for chat - than you become Mr Silent.

It will all be fairly obvious after a minute or two. Same goes for Taxi drivers over here - although this is in reverse of course - as the customer is in charge. I don't think many of the drivers in my area quite understand this though. Keep on blabbing on at you even if you make it perfectly clear you just want a life home and not a chat about the weather and the football.

Yes, Mr CCC. In some places hitching is "normal"!

Certainly in parts of Wales, where elderly ladies wait for a lift back to their village, with the shopping!

A funny one I picked up, I hope you will appreciate is a bearded loon going from Aberdeen to Dundee, to go to his favourite tobacco shop, as the one in Aberdeen had run out of his favourite mix!

Shows some determination! ;)

Done it twice.

Both times I wasn't in a rush and headed in the same direction.

Both times very pleasant, interesting blokes.

If I were a woman though I probably wouldn't risk it.

Certainly in parts of Wales, where elderly ladies wait for a lift back to their village, with the shopping!

A funny one I picked up, I hope you will appreciate is a bearded loon going from Aberdeen to Dundee, to go to his favourite tobacco shop, as the one in Aberdeen had run out of his favourite mix!

I used to collect cars all over Britain and regularly gave lifts.One guy on the edge of Glasgae was heading for Peterborough and was amazed to arrive there four hours later,his lucky day.

If being picked up there are certain unwritten rules you should adhere to.

(1) What the driver wants to talk about goes.

(2) What the driver wants to talk about goes.

(3) What the driver wants to talk about goes.

If I were a woman though I probably wouldn't risk it.

I got a lift from an English trucker in France once - when he started to show me his condom collection I got out as soon as I could.

(I am not a girl)

When ever I'm down surfing in Saunton or Croyde, you'll see'll lots of hitchikers on the road back into Barnstaple so I give who ever a lift.

Tends to be lots of youngsters and you might get asked in the beach car parks if you can drop someone with their board back into Barnstaple (easy to spot the likes of me with a board and no passengers mates) becuase until this year the bus company wouldnt allow you to bring your board on the bus!

http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/news/Countryfile-crew-support-surf-bus-service/article-3283763-detail/article.html

Agreed that I would in those circumstances. I would also stop for the aforementioned old lady walking with her shopping if she was on a country road.

Other than that no, mainly because I appreciate the peace of being in a car by myself as I always have to be a "people person" at either end of the trip so it's a break for me.

I've hitched my fair share. Still do short-distance, but only to the extent of standing at the bus stop with the thumb up, and taking whatever comes first of a lift or the bus (and I know the bus times, so I leave just a few minutes for that).

When I had a car I was always happy to give a lift, except where someone was obviously too foul (e.g. a smoker). Some interesting people (of both sexes), and the occasional memorable encounter.

Used to hitch a fair bit, but wouldn't now - I think the risk has increased?

:lol:

Don't tell me they'll be the ones begging to get out.

Wouldn't have thought it's done these days after a couple of decades of ramping up the fear and distrust of people in general.

People are interesting if you give them a chance. Look at me, I was born...

:lol:

Don't tell me they'll be the ones begging to get out.

Apologies to Mr Pin but it did make me think of this sketch:

I knew straight away it's the loonie

I knew he was going to sit next to me

I knew what would happen next....

He started ... listening

I was scared now

I did the only thing I could think of to stop him listening... I started talking to him

I've picked up quite a number of people in Europe...... on the back of the bike. In Russia and Mongolia I picked up a large number of passengers who would wait at cafes. They'd ask you as you left which way you were going then got on board and you drove. It got hairy on bad bits.

Wouldn't have thought it's done these days after a couple of decades of ramping up the fear and distrust of people in general.

Now there you have it!

Never picked up anyone dangerous yet! Just wet people trying to get somewhere for nothing!

I'm sure Frank picks up loads of people in the 18-wheeler! :huh:

When ever I'm down surfing in Saunton or Croyde, you'll see'll lots of hitchikers on the road back into Barnstaple so I give who ever a lift.

Tends to be lots of youngsters and you might get asked in the beach car parks if you can drop someone with their board back into Barnstaple (easy to spot the likes of me with a board and no passengers mates) becuase until this year the bus company wouldnt allow you to bring your board on the bus!

http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/news/Countryfile-crew-support-surf-bus-service/article-3283763-detail/article.html

Just love Croyde. I'll be there next week. Go every year.. Not enough room to pick up any surfer dudes with the family on board. You must know Squires chippy in Barnstaple. Best Cod in the UK.. :)

Mentalist. A lot of them about up here.

Used to hitch a fair bit, but wouldn't now - I think the risk has increased?

Probably not. Just a bit more fear in general these days. 99.9% of it unfounded. Then again - the 0.1% is probably not worth thinking about.

I don't see many hitchhikers around these days.I last gave a lift 20 years ago to a hippy couple in Wales,though previously gave lifts to those old geezers carrying trade number plates on the motorway approach roads.My brother hitched a lot in the 70's as a scruffy student..he once got a lift from playwright Terence Frisby(of "There's a Girl in My Soup" fame)in a luxury car so obscure he couldn't identify it,and another from a young mother in a Morris Traveller.There were two young boys in the back."Sit in the back between those two,so they don't carry on fighting each other!" she said.Don't suppose that would happen nowadays.I miss the seventies!

I don't see many hitchhikers around these days.I last gave a lift 20 years ago to a hippy couple in Wales,though previously gave lifts to those old geezers carrying trade number plates on the motorway approach roads.My brother hitched a lot in the 70's as a scruffy student..he once got a lift from playwright Terence Frisby(of "There's a Girl in My Soup" fame)in a luxury car so obscure he couldn't identify it,and another from a young mother in a Morris Traveller.There were two young boys in the back."Sit in the back between those two,so they don't carry on fighting each other!" she said.Don't suppose that would happen nowadays.I miss the seventies!

As a society we have certainly come along way. Then not a thought about whether the young man was some sort of sexual predator, now sadly, thanks to all the FUD, it will be the first thought.

Apologies to Mr Pin but it did make me think of this sketch:

Never seen that before, but it does remind me of that new chap. So is all the twitch and whistle part of the character or did the chap have tourettes?

A friend got a lift once with the following dialogue...

Friend: "Nice car! Had it long?

Driver: "Not long..."

Friend: "Where did you get it?"

Driver: "In that car park back there. Sit tight..."

A friend got a lift once with the following dialogue...

Friend: "Nice car! Had it long?

Driver: "Not long..."

Friend: "Where did you get it?"

Driver: "In that car park back there. Sit tight..."

:lol::lol:

That's a new one on me. Whered'ya steal it from? :D

I've picked up a handful of hitchhikers in my time pleasant enough.

On one occasion I found myself without my wallet stuck just outside London and needing to get to Milton Keynes Train Station. Rather trepidly i stuck my thumb out and it didn't take more than a minute before a blacked out range rover vogue screeched to a halt, in the drivers seat was this huge black dude very smartly dressed beckoning me into his bling! For some reason it just set off alarm bells for all those stereotypes you get going through your head - is he, isn't he ?? turned out he was a judge and I'm still here :D

Were you in an episode of 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air'?

haha! Used to love that programme and yes the two were uncannily alike with Philip Banks imposing character, handmade suits and if smelivision existed at the time he probably smelled as expensive.