House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

What The Hell?

I'm doomed, I don't like beer.

Hopefully Blue Lagoons and Russian Brides will have the same effect?

I'm doomed, I don't like beer.

Hopefully Blue Lagoons and Russian Brides will have the same effect?

It's very sophisticated in Sheffield these days isn't it!

Not had anything since Saturday, I thought that was a good thing as I'd been caning it a bit but it turns out I am putting myself into serious danger. Off now to form a queue outside Tesco. "Let me through, it's a medical emergency!".

I recommend beer for every minor ailment! :huh:

Not sure five pints of Doombar cure cancer though! ;)

It's very sophisticated in Sheffield these days isn't it!

That reminds me of the time I was setting in a bar in Sheffield (this one)

146325_0.jpg

And it occurred to me that places like that just wouldn't have existed in the Sheffield my dad knew.

Although once when I was in there, the huge windowed front gave me a great view of some winos drinking cider on the pavement out of carrier bags!

The abolitionists never went away, they have simply changed their clothes. Now they fund research groups to prove why alcohol is so bad for the health. Yet this is not, and never has been, about health. Their objections stem from morality, they consider it immoral to drink. If wrapping that in health clothes achieves the objective, they will push it.

The abolitionists never went away, they have simply changed their clothes. Now they fund research groups to prove why alcohol is so bad for the health. Yet this is not, and never has been, about health. Their objections stem from morality, they consider it immoral to drink. If wrapping that in health clothes achieves the objective, they will push it.

+1

This is about the top and bottom of it. Of course, the politicians love it because regulation means restriction means taxes.

Dealing with the problem of the minority who drink to excess and so harm themselves is another matter. I'm reminded of how a poor teacher deals with the disruptive pupil by putting the whole class on detention.

There is a PR war going on at the moment from the various VIs.

The same goes for the drink driving campaign. The proposed reduction in blood alcohol levels would mean that drinking a bottle of wine on Sunday night would make you a criminal if you drove to work on Monday morning.

First it was smoking, then it was drinking. It can only be a matter of time before w@nking is in the line of fire.

The same goes for the drink driving campaign. The proposed reduction in blood alcohol levels would mean that drinking a bottle of wine on Sunday night would make you a criminal if you drove to work on Monday morning.

First it was smoking, then it was drinking. It can only be a matter of time before w@nking is in the line of fire.

I have explained this to people and they are amazed.

They have this image of drink drivers being maniacs that get pissed and then get behind the wheel before speeding past a school at going home time. And view a crackdown on drink driving as a crackdown on those people.

When I point out that what the proposed reduction is actually doing is criminalising them the morning after they suddenly have a change of mind!

I know I can drive equally as well after two pints as when I'm stone cold sober from reaction times at roundabouts, spotting slower cars ahead etc. so I don't see why it should be illegal. And as it stands it quite rightly isn't. Although more than two pints does adversely affect my reactions so I don't drive after that.

Sad thing is the sheeple will suck it up.

Not so long ago there was a television news reporter doing a piece on the renaissance of the great British tradition of tea rooms. It is only a matter of time before the 'cancer risks' of drinking copious amounts of tea is realised and our masters crack down on this with a caffeine duty.

The Beatles song Taxman gives is an idea of where we are heading. :(

There is, once again, a problem with too much crying wolf. It's pretty obvious that getting ratted every single night is not going to do your health any good at all, but it also seems pretty implausible that having a couple of pints every now and then will harm you. So it is useful to know where to draw the line, but the over-reactions make it rather hard to pick out the wheat from the chaff. Almost as annoying as the over-reactionists are the counter-reactionists who go too far in the other direction just out of contrariness. They may think that they're making a stand, but they're just playing into the over-reactionists hands. This applies to just about every issue you can think of, not just alcohol.

That reminds me of the time I was setting in a bar in Sheffield (this one)

146325_0.jpg

And it occurred to me that places like that just wouldn't have existed in the Sheffield my dad knew.

Although once when I was in there, the huge windowed front gave me a great view of some winos drinking cider on the pavement out of carrier bags!

That place looks expensive.

It's just a pity that claiming 'X causes cancer!' doesn't cause cancer.

Let's face it; if you don't die in an accident or get murdered or catch MRSA while visiting an NHS hospital or something like that, you're going to die of cancer. Just accept it and carry on as before.

It's just a pity that claiming 'X causes cancer!' doesn't cause cancer.

Let's face it; if you don't die in an accident or get murdered or catch MRSA while visiting an NHS hospital or something like that, you're going to die of cancer. Just accept it and carry on as before.

Exactly , you have to die of SOMETHING

IIRC moderate drinkers are the ones who live longest and healthiest lives ? Read an article in which there was a huge survey done over a few decades with tens of thousands of people. I am just trying hard to aim down from the heavy to moderate section.

Easy some weeks - tough the next :D

That place looks expensive.

It's been a few years since I went there but I think it was fairly pricey.

A few freelance work colleges and I used to meet up there every few weeks for a chat.

We stopped going when they started turning the lights down in the evening and turning the music waaaay up (to make the place seem busier? Not sure).

Having to shout in each others ears in order to heard doesn't make for a relaxing chat.