House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bob Loblaw

Fuel Costs More Than Mortgage

Found this thread funny:

http://www.readytogo...ad.php?t=582781

Someone wrote:

were gettiing very close to it! were a tyical 2 car family and adding up our fuel bill its makes for scary reading, on average weve looking at £400 per month icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

another few months and fuel rises and it wil overtake my mortgage as our biggest outgoing

Someone replied:

Don't worry mate, if you're not on a fixed mortgage the interest rate hikes will make sure your mortgage stays higher.

Seems things are getting desperate out there. Thankfully I have a company fuel card so every rise in petrol is akin to getting a pay rise.

Seems things are getting desperate out there. Thankfully I have a company fuel card so every rise in petrol is akin to getting a pay rise.

Hmmm.. Monthly fuel bill £200, Monthly mortgage interest £450.

If those two figures cross over then we'll be so far up s**t creek we'll need a fleet of paddle steamers.

Dont worry, wont be long tillthe housing cost is back at 1450 a month :blink:

Is that 'long' as in geological terms? (Or when we've had 1000% cumulative inflation.. say next march?)

My wife got a very temp contract job just outside of London, it is a 1:45 min commute but hey thats where the work is.

Equates to a £644 a month train fare.

Tricky times this job is supposed to be 1.5 months but it looks like it is going to extend. There is a big temptation to get a lodger (mortgage is £350 a month) and we will go rent / cheapo hotel.

Here's a thought:

I suspect that with our ultra loose monetary policies, the usual function of rent (removing surplus income to the hands of the wealthy) is now being performed by oil and other essentials.

This of course brings the addittional problem that producers are having to pay elevated input prices too.

Just landed a job, prices not very good,but i can get a bus door to door and i needed to renew car insurance,tax and mot. The work will last until xmas also.

were gettiing very close to it! were a tyical 2 car family and adding up our fuel bill its makes for scary reading, on average weve looking at £400 per month

Make it £550/£600, lump another 20% on basics and the house will have to go.

Mortgage £450/month

Petrol £350/month

Almost! Mainly my own fault for driving a car that does 25mpg (it's not shiny and new but it does go like stink). I've offset the costs by an effective 10p/litre by cancelling my Sky TV subsciption. There is an unlimited supply of things I'll cut before I'll start driving automotive white goods. You cant drive a house, but you can sleep in a car.

Mortgage is a tracker BoE +0.9 so it dropped from about £700 when i took it out rates were 6.5%, so I imagine it will start going up again shortly. I'm hedging against this, on the basis that £/$ shifts and sterling price of oil drops it's cost neutral :)

Edited by pilchardthecat

Mortgage £450/month

Petrol £350/month

Almost! Mainly my own fault for driving a car that does 25mpg (it's not shiny and new but it does go like stink). I've offset the costs by an effective 10p/litre by cancelling my Sky TV subsciption. There is an unlimited supply of things I'll cut before I'll start driving automotive white goods. You cant drive a house, but you can sleep in a car.

Mortgage is a tracker BoE +0.9 so it dropped from about £700 when i took it out rates were 6.5%, so I imagine it will start going up again shortly. I'm hedging against this, on the basis that £/$ shifts and sterling price of oil drops it's cost neutral :)

What is it, if you don't mind me asking. I've an old 328 to which my attitude is similar.

Hmmm.. Monthly fuel bill £200, Monthly mortgage interest £450.

If those two figures cross over then we'll be so far up s**t creek we'll need a fleet of paddle steamers.

You realise Camerons carbon tax will add more to the cost of fuels right?

Just letting you know.

Still , if it will save even one polar bear it'll be worth it :lol:

Mortgage £450/month

Petrol £350/month

i just bought a 174 bhp VW caravelle (T5 transporter with 5 passenger seats) it's damn quick but does 19mpg around town! ouch

(I've started cycling into work to reduce travel costs) will be converting it to a camper soon too. my house on wheels.

Mortgage £2600

Petrol £400

Mortgage - something

Petrol - nothing

(Other transport costs - a small can of chain oil once a year & a puncture repair kit. Oh, and I reckon I go through trainers slightly faster too...)

Z4M; 340bhp straight-6 mid life crisis!

I love the older 3 series - e36 my personal favourite.

Noice! Mine's an e36, might fancy an M3 but just too much at the moment. Mine's not very quick to be honest, but is a decent cruiser. I just love the straight sixes too.

That S54 is a peach though, jealous!

Edited by cheeznbreed

Noice! Mine's an e36, might fancy an M3 but just too much at the moment. Mine's not very quick to be honest, but is a decent cruiser. I just love the straight sixes too.

That S54 is a peach though, jealous!

e36 328i is not to be sniffed at - silky smooth, very nice power delivery, they were exceptional in their day. I've considered rescuing a neglected one at various times for restoration or for creating a track slag :)

I won't be parted from guzzly petrol engines, i'll give up eating first

edit; 328 with/without optional LSD?

Edited by pilchardthecat

e36 328i is not to be sniffed at - silky smooth, very nice power delivery, they were exceptional in their day. I've considered rescuing a neglected one at various times for restoration or for creating a track slag :)

I had an E46 Alpina B3. 25MPG just too much, esp as I could hear the VANOS tickling away going uphills. After the bespoke GM gearbox started holding 3rd for no reason; time to get rid! I went to the dark side with a 335D; which gets 35MPG with more power.

I do still have a petrol guzzler though; my baby is on the left on the picture that I nicked of off www.fritzsbits.com. They look after it and put it on their website after arranging it 'artistically' with some other customer cars during a visit a few years ago. 1972 BMW E3 2500; gets about 15MPG with a 3 speed 'slushtronic' gearbox.

group.jpg

post-9557-0-47296100-1302289329_thumb.jpg

Edited by vlad the impaler

I went to the dark side with a 335D; which gets 35MPG with more power.

nice choice, very nice choice, in fact i've been watching useed 335d prices with interest, but will probably go for a 330d manual and remap it.

nice choice, very nice choice, in fact i've been watching useed 335d prices with interest, but will probably go for a 330d manual and remap it.

I had a remapped 330d, and a 123d....both capable and whatnot, but there was just something missing. In the end i decided the extra economy wasn't worth the absence of joy. I disliked burning £50 of diesel more than burning £80 of super unleaded.

The family wagon runs on the stinky stuff though

No LSD, so not trackcar in the making really. Mine's surprisingly low spec, no aircon for example. It probably would be broken by now anyway! Got lucky and found one with 'only' 75k miles on it. Bushes tend to wear out, and they were not well rustproofed in particular areas but overall pretty pleased with it. M50 manifold and bigger throttle body helps out a bit up top. Ahh, what was the thread topic again ;-)

Ahh, what was the thread topic again ;-)

Something about the cost of fuel i think.

Much easier on the mind if the fuel provides pleasure rather than just utility - my advice to others would be to sell the Prious and get a nice straight 6 or a v8.

i just bought a 174 bhp VW caravelle (T5 transporter with 5 passenger seats) it's damn quick but does 19mpg around town! ouch

(I've started cycling into work to reduce travel costs) will be converting it to a camper soon too. my house on wheels.

Then you can sell your house or use your STR fund for other things like starting a business or going travelling to Asia or the Americas. I don't think I'd ever want to buy a house unless I was rich, would rather spend money on a car and travelling. Perhaps just buy a good car and use it for travelling :lol:

As a cheap holiday you could drive from the bottom of South America to the top of the States, then as another holiday you could drive around Europe, then through the Middle East or Russia, then India and the Asian countries.

Oh wait 19MPG? Maybe not then :P